How to make your own portable power inverter battery

How to make your own portable power inverter battery

A Story by lindadell
"

Many people think that making a portable power inverter battery is very difficult. Find out how easy it actually is to do it in 4 simple steps.

"
Car batteries are great devices when it comes to transporting a certain amount of electrical power. But even though they are portable, they have one big drawback �" they can only be used to power certain devices because they provide power via DC (direct current) while the outlets in your house use AC (alternating current). Basically, this means that you won’t be able to hook up your home appliances like microwaves and toasters directly to the battery. For this reason you will need a power inverter. This device will convert the Direct Current to Alternating Current and can be used with any car battery to create a great portable source of electrical energy that you can take anywhere. Here is what you need to do for this project:

1. It is important to charge your car battery before you begin. In order to do this you can either hook it up to your car’s alternator and letting the engine run for a while or use another type of charging device. It is recommended to use a deep cycle car battery if possible. Those are usually used for powering RVs and boats.

2. Take your power inverter and turn it off by flipping the power switch to the off position. After doing this, simply plug into it the power connectors.

3. Take the power inverter’s power connectors and connect them to your car battery. Depending on the type of your power inverter, the method for doing this may vary. Often time, power inverters come with easy to use alligator clamps so if this is the case simply clamp each one to the corresponding battery terminal. These clamps are usually color coded and the red one is positive while the black one is negative. Take the positive clamp and hook it up to the positive terminal (marked with a “+” sign) of your car battery and hook up the negative clamp to the negative terminal (marked with a “-” sign) of your car battery. Make sure to secure the clamps tightly so that they won’t slip off. If your power inverter came with ring terminal connectors, simply slip the rings over the correct terminals and tighten the nuts just like you hook up a car battery to a car.

4. Turn the power inverter on. In most cases, these devices have a light that indicates that they have been connected properly. Some power inverters come with built-in fans which should start working once the device is on. Now you can simply plug whatever AC electrical device you want to into your power inverter.

This is a very simple and easy way to create a portable battery that you can use to power any appliance. It can be done by anyone with little or even no technical knowledge.

© 2015 lindadell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on January 20, 2015
Last Updated on January 20, 2015
Tags: power inverter, battery, portable power inverter, how to, DIY