The Woods

The Woods

A Story by Angel_Rose1979
"

Better watch your step.

"

In spite of the light fog, I could still see my own breath. It was such a cold night. There were clouds that blotted out the moon and stars, assuring that even if I wanted too, I wouldn't be able to see anything but a silhouette, if anything were to find me. I reached into the thin pocket of my jacket and felt the cold metallic touch of my small flashlight. It served as the only source of light I had. Though I had it, I still didn’t dare use it. Using it would be a risk all on its own.

    Even though a bitter wind, bit into my flesh, making goosebumps spread across my arms and legs, I didn't feel cold. At least if I was, I didn't notice. I was focused on staying alert. If I didn't, it could cost me my life. I was huddled up against the large roots of an old dead tree, praying that I wouldn't be found.

    I sat there, listening to the silence, and growing drowsy. From somewhere in the darkness around me came a noise. A twig, snapping. Somewhere in the dark, had it caught my scent? The noise came again and this time I froze. The noise echoed all throughout the silence. I scanned around in front of me, and seeing nothing move, I allowed my muscles to relax a bit. When it happened again. This time there was no mistake, the noise sounded like it came from behind the tree I was leaning against.

    Without hesitation, I lept to my feet, and took off at a full on sprint. As I ran I could hear something behind me start to run as well, tearing through the woods behind me. I slipped my hand into my jacket pocket and fumbled with my flashlight. I pulled it out, and as I ran I tried to turn it on, but only succeeded to drop it. I had no time to stop and grab it, so cursing myself under my breath, I continued running, not daring to look back.

    I ran and ran, on and on. The noise of something tearing through the silent woods behind me began to fade into the distance. Just as I thought my luck was gonna hold out and I’d get away again, I tripped over a loose tree root and fell, flat on my stomach. I hit the ground. Hard. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t breathe. I struggled for a minute, when all of a sudden the air all rushed back to me. I began to breathe so fast I choked on the sickly sweet forest air.

    I sat there for a moment heaving, when it occurred to me that, it was close to me again. I could hear its ragged shaking breath, in the trees to my left. I jumped up and started to run in the opposite direction. But running was harder this time. I was still weak from my lack of oxygen just moments ago. I was tired and cold. I kept stumbling over my own numb feet and legs. It felt, that no matter how fast I ran, it was always at my heel. I could hear it.

    Out of sheer terror, I began to run in every direction. Making sharp rapid turns, randomly out of nowhere. I didn’t do this for very long before I suddenly stumbled into a clearing. The clouds seemed to part a bit, revealing a thin crescent moon. The weeds and grasses that covered the floor of the clearing where draped in a eerily silver hue. I just sat there sprawled out on my stomach again, looking around, bewildered. I had no idea where I was at. The bushes and trees that fenced off the clearing where dark. I could hear something moving in the bushes and trees around me. They rustled as if a strong wind was blowing through them. But the night was windless, and still.

    Panic filled my mind, as I realized that I was exposed. In the spotlight that mother nature had created for me. I’d be the focus of the forest. I moved to get up again and take off, only for something bony and pale to reach out of the darkness and grab my leg. It grabbed my leg so hard, I could hear the bones in my ankle crunch. It dawned upon me then that there was no escape for me. Even if I could get away, I couldn’t run now. My greatest defense was destroyed. Just as I realized this, the clammy hand dragged me, screaming and flailing into the dark woods.


© 2018 Angel_Rose1979


Author's Note

Angel_Rose1979
Warning,
My grammar may not be correct.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on May 1, 2018
Last Updated on May 1, 2018

Author

Angel_Rose1979
Angel_Rose1979

Cedar City, UT



About
I'm 15, so naturally sometimes my grammar sucks, sorry bout that, but I mostly just write macabre and creepy poetry, sometimes based on mental health, just wanted to be able to put it out there more..

Writing