Does God Understand What We Go Through?

Does God Understand What We Go Through?

A Story by Mrs Mania

Does God Understand What We Go Through?

I think one of the biggest questions for believers is 'why do bad things happen to good people?' As we look around and watch the news, our hearts go out to people who have lost their homes and belongings due to natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, and floods. When we hear about those who have been victims of abuse, we learn to sympathize them. When we hear of famines and disease affecting individuals all over the world, we have a tendency to ask ourselves the question, "Where is God in all of this?" Personally, I have been one to ask myself that very same question many times, especially when I am going through a period of personal pain or heartache. But the truth is, God is right where He has always been from the beginning- walking in front of us to lead the way, walking beside us so that we are never alone, and walking behind us to catch us when we fall. So, when it seems as though the world is at its lowest, when it feels as though we have reached rock bottom, when our minds are troubled and we're feeling defeated, does God understand? Absolutely!

God sent His one and only son Jesus to not only offer salvation to all of mankind, but also so that He could understand what His children go through here on Earth. I think one of the most painful feelings for us humans is the feeling of being rejected. Jesus knew exactly what that felt like. When we read our Bible, we truly see how much Jesus did for humanity, from helping the blind to regain their sight, healing all kinds of sickness and disease, offering aid to anyone in need; and yet, there were some who mocked him, beat him, and rejected him. Notice how this did not stop him from being loving, kind, and selfless. When we are experiencing hurt, loss, and sorrow, we have a tendency to feel hopeless- as though no one understands exactly what we're going through, but Jesus also experienced hurt and sorrow. On the night before his crucifixion, Matthew 26:36-38 states, 'Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray". He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to feel sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me". 

How often have you and I felt this way? Whether it be witnessing and experiencing first-hand the negative effects of a natural disaster, going through a difficult break-up, or a significant loss of some kind, I am sure we have all felt "overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death". These verses teach us that there is someone who understands the pain of what we are going through, and that person is Jesus Christ. 
Proceeding into verse 39, 'Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not my will, but yours be done". This verse is significant for many reasons. First, it was here that Jesus acknowledged his dependency on the Father by praying to Him and seeking His guidance and direction during this very difficult time in his life. Jesus was certainly leading by example here. Even in the most difficult and trying moments of our life, Jesus shows us that it is still important to maintain our faith in God, to seek His guidance and direction, and to acknowledge that He has a greater purpose and plan for everything. Secondly, it was here that Jesus was asking the Father (God), if there was any other way to offer salvation to all of mankind. But of course there was not, the way of the cross was it. You see, the penalty for sin is death and eternal separation from God. But Jesus (who was God in the flesh) sacrificed his own life on the cross so that all of our sin debt would be paid in full. Most of us are who are believers are familiar with John 3:16-17. 'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world do condemn the world, but to save the world through him'. We do not need to be perfect or sinless in order to be saved. It is a matter of truly believing with our hearts that Jesus is the Son of God, and that the shedding of his blood on the cross paid for your sins and mine. This demonstrates just how much God loves the world and the people He created- that He would come to earth in the flesh and shed His blood in order so that you and I would be forgiven for our sins. In other words, it was Jesus that received the punishment that you and I deserve, and he did this out of pure love. The third thing to notice in Matthew 26:39 is the emphasis that Jesus placed on God's will, "Yet not my will, but yours be done". Once again, Jesus leads by example here. Even though Jesus was literally about to experience the worst, most brutal moment in his life, he never once wined to God or put Him to the test by saying things like, "God if you loved me, you wouldn't allow this to happen to me". He selflessly accepted God's will without complaint, acknowledging that there was a greater purpose and plan. 

We can clearly see here that Jesus certainly does understand what you and I go through when we feel sorrowful and troubled, as he experienced these very same feelings himself. But the important thing to recognize is that Jesus did not live by these feelings, as negative feelings tend to come and go and can often alter our better judgement. But instead he lived by the Truth and the Word of God that never changes. 

But even when we do know that God understands our troubles and sorrows, the big question is: how do we overcome these feelings? Since Jesus experienced sorrow himself, he also knew that there would come a point in all of our lives where we would feel lost, troubled, and not know where to turn. Luckily, Jesus shows us exactly what to do in times like these. Matthew 26:41 states, 'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The Spirit is willing but, but the body is weak'. 

I think the natural tendency for us humans when we are feeling broken, sorrowful, and troubled, is to turn to other things that are clearly not good for us. In times of deep sorrow and heartache, our hearts and minds tend to be at its most vulnerable state. When we are feeling broken and vulnerable, we may feel tempted to fall into self-destructive habits in a desperate attempt for instant relief. These self-destructive habits however can quickly escalate into addictive patterns and behaviors, causing us to feel even more trapped. But notice the advice that Jesus gives, 'Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation'. When reading this verse, the two words watch and pray really stood out to me. Jesus not only encouraged us to pray even in our darkest of moments, but he also encourages us to watch. In other words, Jesus is encouraging us to watch and take notice of what amazing things are able to happen when we place our patience and trust in God. We may not always understand why He allows certain things to happen the way they do, but He always allows things to come together for our good.

As Dr. Charles Stanley mentions in his video sermon, "When We Don't Understand Why", "If you are walking in the Spirit of God, there are no accidents". Even in the midst of sorrow, God is in the process of doing something beautiful in our life. So, don't waste your hurt, pain, and sorrow. But rather take it as a wonderful opportunity to learn something new, and to grow in your faith, trust, and patience. Watch and see what good is able to come out of our most painful trials and heartaches when we respond the correct way. 

© 2020 Mrs Mania


Author's Note

Mrs Mania
Here is a link for those who would like to watch/listen to Dr. Charles Stanley's message on "When We Don't Understand Why", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1fCUlet50&t=679s

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on April 3, 2020
Last Updated on April 9, 2020

Author

Mrs Mania
Mrs Mania

Roanoke, VA



About
Hi there! As far as genres go, my preference leans more towards short stories and poetry. I tend to really appreciate works that are both thought-provoking and inspiring. My favorite writings tend to.. more..

Writing