Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by livingmylife
"

Bretna, a 25-year old, has it all going for her lately. Until she met Nick. He happens to be her Greek God.

"

I woke up from my daze by a voice coming from behind my seat.

“Hey, what’s the deal with you recently? It seems like you’re always disappearing the moment it turns 6.”

I sighed and rearranged my books on my already cluttered table.

“Just let it go, Fred. I don’t want to talk about it, especially to you.”

“What do you mean? I do understand women, especially little minxes like you.”  I looked up at his face and gave a menacing look.

“Just go away. You’re taking up my air space. ”

Fred shrugged and left my workspace.

 Finally.

Maybe he was right. Maybe I was a little minx. And maybe I could talk to him. Or maybe I was just plain mad if I did that. I glanced at the tiny bear-shaped clock on my desk. I cursed silently; as the long hand was nearing the number 12. I needed to get ready to take off.

“Hey, Bretna, you’re staying at Floud Drive right? I’ll give you a ride home.” Greg said from his workspace.

“Erm… Sorry, but I think I’ll take a rain check. Maybe next time, okay?” I hurriedly put on my long, red winter coat and white muffler which hung near the entrance of the office, and stepped outside into the ironically warm snow.

How could I tell anyone what I had been doing for the past few weeks? What would they think of me? Feeling a tear coming on soon, I blinked profusely, lifted my head and walked towards the place that held a special meaning to my heart.

 

I walked in nervously into the coffee place. Out of the corner of my eye, a familiar blue winter down jacket was placed on a sofa nearby to the counter. He was there, as always. I ordered my usual hot cocoa and chose the seat beside the windowsill; close enough so that I could see him, but far enough to not attract his attention.  Why was he always at the same spot every day? Why now?  So many questions; I didn’t know if I wanted them answered. As my mind attempted to distract me from all the possible answers, I looked up and swore I saw him glance at my direction.

I looked down; I knew a blush was incoming on in 3…

2…

1.

My ears felt hot.

 No, no, no. Don’t give yourself away, I thought to myself.

Just pretend you were looking at someone behind him. Wait, that won’t work. Behind him is just a wall. Urgh! Bretna Williams, you’re such a geek! Just shut up and drink up now… Okay. Ouch. The drink’s still hot.

I clammed my lips together in an effort to soothe my burning lips. I mustered up courage and glanced up from underneath my lashes. He was still there; looking, somehow anticipating someone to come through the entrance.

Minutes later, he stood up, wrapped his muffler around his neck and folded his newspaper. He glanced at my direction and simply walked away.

That’s it! This ‘stalking’ thing has been going on for too long! I’d better put a stop to it before it gets out of hand!

 I psyched myself up, willed up all of my what-was-left-of-my-pride and ran out the door to catch up with him.

He was halfway down the street; the street lights casting long shadows by the sidewalk.

“Hey!”

He turned and looked at me.

“You… you forgot something?” a pathetic excuse. Great, I groaned to myself, Now, I’m the lame one.

“I don’t think so.” His sultry voice enthralled me. “But, it seems like you did.”

“What…?” Then I realized. I left my coat and muffler back at the coffee joint. Suddenly the cold hit me. It hit me hard. I regretted not wearing my originally planned purple turtleneck top; instead the black blouse I had on did nothing to prevent the cold from enveloping me. I shivered.

“You know what? Here, take my coat. You look like you could use it more than me. “

“But.. But… what about you?”I whimpered although I was glad to have a barrier against the cold.

“It’s fine. I live down the block.” He laughed.

“Oh okay then. I’ll return this to you some other time. You mind if I get to know your name? Or should I just call you ‘hey’? ‘Cos I can so call you that, but only if it’s okay by you…” Okay Bretna, just shut up now before something more stupid comes out of your mouth.

“I’m Nick. And you?” he laughed.

“I’m B..B..Bretna. You can call me Brie. Nice to meet you. ”

“As to you. Listen, I have to go now. It’s really getting kind of cold and you seem to be okay with the coat. I’ll see you sometime. Bye.” he said, and walked down hurriedly down the street, huddling what’s left of his warm armor.

The only thing I could whisper out was a “When?”

 

The next day, I was anticipating the end of the day even before I reached the office. I hung the jacket Nick lent me the evening before to return it back to him that day.

“Hey, I called you last night. Why didn’t you pick up?” Angela asked from way over at the corner.

“Oh, sorry. I had a headache, slept early, you know the drill…”

Angela simply looked at me, an eyebrow arched as if she didn’t believe me. I walked up to her desk.

 “Okay, okay. GG just had a name overnight.”

“WHAT?! Details up, front and centre!” Angela squealed, a little too loudly.

“Ssh!! Lunch later?” I fixed a lunch date with her, anxious in telling her what happened.

 

“Hey Bretna, is that a new coat? I’ve never seen you wear that before. It doesn’t look like you.” Greg asked.

“M..My mum. She gave it to me… By post. “I answered hesitantly and quickly planted my butt on my seat.

Greg looked dejected when I didn’t continue our conversation. Meanwhile I switched on my laptop and blazed through the work e-mails; nothing made sense anymore. Nothing seemed to matter, until I talked to Nick again.



© 2010 livingmylife


Author's Note

livingmylife
Thanks in advance for the reviews!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a good prologue. Tension was high as I read through it. Continue writing! That's an order:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aw, I thought this was kinda cute! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 2, 2010
Last Updated on June 2, 2010
Tags: love, friendship, romance, betrayal


Author

livingmylife
livingmylife

Singapore, Asia, Singapore



About
I'm starting to dabble in writing novels and I would really love to get feedback, be it good or bad~ I would really appreciate it! So, sit back and cheers! =) more..

Writing