Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo

The elderly woman, in at least her late 80s, sat down in a plush, floral arm chair in the corner of her highly decorative bedroom. He bed was canopy style with a think, down comforter that was folded back, awaiting her to come lay down. The room was not particularly well lit; most of the lights were on dim. The woman’s silver hair was braided and fell across one shoulder. Her attire was a pale blue dressing gown that barely showed off her thin figure. Sighing softly, the woman reached a veined hand out to the end table beside her and picked up a framed photo. In it was a younger version of herself and another man in his late 60s. The two were holding hands and sitting on a bench in the legendary Kensington Gardens. A small smile spread across her lips and a single tear slid down her rosy cheek as the memory of her beloved husband flashed through her mind. Just then, the old woman’s keen hearing picked up the sound of stockinged feet padding towards her door. 

“Grandma-ma!” A tiny voice called out as a small child slid past the doorway. The woman chuckled softly; the twinkle in her eye catching the lamplight.

“Be careful my sweet one, the floors can be quite slippery at times.”

A blonde, curly topped head peered around the corner and grinned; the blue eyes laughing in childish innocence. 

“I am being careful Grandma-ma. See?”

The child, only six years old, bounced energetically into the room. With curls swinging and clad in a set of matching pajama pants and shirt with pink socks, the little girl continued to bounce all the way to where her grandmother--chuckling in delight--was seated. 

“I see that. I think I shall call you...my Little Monkey.” 

“But Grandma-ma, you already call me Monkey.”

The child giggled and climbed up into the woman’s lap.

“Tell me a story Grandma-ma?”

The old woman smiled, the wrinkles at the corners of her eyes stretching all the way down to the sides of her mouth. The child’s excitement caused the older woman to reminisce about when she herself was a young woman. 

“Well, I suppose it would be alright. Shall I tell you a story about three girls who travelled the world?”

The child’s eyes grew wide and she nodded enthusiastically, snuggling up in her grandmother’s arms. The old woman smiled and kissed her relatives forehead. 

“Are you comfortable my darling?”

“Yes Grandma-ma”

“Good. I shall begin at the start of it all...”

And so began a new beginning.



© 2013 S. Waldo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great start.
Warm and exciting way to start story telling.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S. Waldo

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
zainul

10 Years Ago

You are always welcome,dear friend.
Aw little monkey:) that's what I call my nephew.I'm liking the intro:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S. Waldo

10 Years Ago

aww cute :) thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 8, 2013
Tags: intro, mysterious, fiction, teen, story


Author

S. Waldo
S. Waldo

Huntsville, TX



About
I first fell in love with writing when I was in middle school. Throughout high school, college, and my post-graduate life, I began to write more and more. I ventured into poetry, and even started two .. more..

Writing
The Siren The Siren

A Poem by S. Waldo


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo