addicted to violence...

addicted to violence...

A Story by Brad
"

for writing prompt...

"

The first time I stepped into the boxing ring I had my a*s handed to me. After that experience I had decided that I didn’t ever want to step back into the ring or wear another pair of boxing gloves again. But my father was a persistent man, and he wasn’t going to have “no f****t artist son”. So I was stuck.

My father was physically abusive. He had a very long fuse, but once it reached the end, there was no stopping the violence that he would fork out to either me or my mother. All of this pent up anger, hurt, resentment turned into the fuel that I brought into the ring.

I am a physical being. I cannot feel emotion without physically feeling it. So my trainer used this pile of junk from my personal life and fed it into my head when I trained and when I went into the ring.

The problem with fighting in the ring is that an average man will tire within 3 minutes of heavy fighting. As a boxer, it is your job to pace yourself while tiring out your opponent. My first few fights I lost because I would go in there in a wanton rage and tire out by the middle of the first round.

The first knockout I dished out was one of the most euphoric experiences of my life. The combination of blows done in an almost choreographed fashion and then dealing that final punch to the side of their head and watching them go down on the mat releases so much adrenaline you don’t even feel the punches you took. I became addicted to it.

The whole trick was to balance that rage I had been holding onto against my father and let it out in little increments until the final barrage of punches and I could release it all. Sometimes I let it all out too early, and I paid for it, but I was mastering it and would have made it further had I stayed in it.

With each fight, I had put my father’s face on my opponent. This was just a mind thing I did. It ended up ending my “career” in youth boxing. At first, it aided me in focusing my anger. But on my last match, I had broken my opponents nose and he laid there on the mat trying to shake it off. I was thinking of my dad, and that was the problem. Because I began to feel guilty for wanting to hurt my dad this much. I thought about how I would really feel if that was my own father lying there on the ground, bleeding from a cut on the lip and nose that I had dealt him.  In the future, there would come a time when I would deliver those punches to my own father. It wouldn’t be in a ring, it would be in his front yard. I went to my corner and I never returned.

Thus ended my stint in boxing at the age of 19. I had no other way of venting those feelings anymore, and this is when they became self-inflicting. Punching walls, hardwood floors, mirrors, windows, punching bags. But I never laid another hand on another person until I was 21, and that was in bars fueled by the drink. And that…is another story…for another day.

© 2011 Brad


Author's Note

Brad
the writing prompt was about addiction...and that was so hard because i was addicted to many things...so i didn't want to go cliche on youse all...so i did this one...i never really thought about it as an addiction...but after contemplating things i was involved in, it seemed to fit...

On Tap #1

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Coming from a place of addiction its good.
Its got that "I look at writing like I look at pacing myself in the ring" kinda kick in the head.
I would have liked to, instead of you saying you put his face on opponents as we've seen in everything from Rocky to..f*****g Bullwinkle and water boy. Maybe hear more. Auditory hallucinations. The face stays the same, its the sound that change and twist.
good s**t.

Posted 13 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

an honest and visceral writing, cathartic and insightful... it carries readers through a journey of Shadow Self. excellent work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, an amazing story. I can understand your need to release that pent up rage! Powerful write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
I know boxing is supposed to channel the aggression but I don't get it..its the adrenaline your addicted to, fighting gives you that fix quickly...great read

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh s**t...I'm bleeding with satisfaction now...no...really I am...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well done

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well written. You brought me in and held me with this. It's good to have an outlet. I'm sorry that what needed to be let out was so overpowering and hurtful. You did a great job in telling the story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gads. Puts my teenage angst to shame. I think I caused all my own sh@t. By definition, had I realized it, I could have fixed myself. You didn't have that choice. Just the choice of how to deal with it. Nicely written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very hard write, I'm sure! full of pain and emotions, I can understand why you would want to beat the crap out of your father! Power write!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That pent up rage is an awful thing to deal with. At least you found a fairly constructive outlet for yours. Mine sort of seeped out over the years and caused me to do things that I'm now quite ashamed of. I remember how shocked I was when my younger sister told me that no one at school gave her any crap because they were afraid her hot-headed brother (me) would kick their butts.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was an amazing regurgitation of truth. Engrossing and powerful in its honesty. Simply mind-boggling what some go through in their lifetime. And although I never wish for such situations on a person, it has in a way given us our humorous, delightful and insightful Bradley. Glad you came out of it the victor--even if you don't realize it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

672 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 5, 2011
Last Updated on January 5, 2011

Author

Brad
Brad

MN



About
more..

Writing
where are you? where are you?

A Poem by Brad


The Writer... The Writer...

A Poem by Brad



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


memorials... memorials...

A Poem by Brad





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5