Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Simplydreaming

The sun was shinning in through the open curtains cloaking my bed in its light. Usually I like to just shut my curtains and go back to sleep until I have to get up, but I felt oddly awake. So I slowing got out of bed and made my way to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. The house was quiet, which meant my dad was at work, so was his wife, and my younger brother must be off at daycare. It was the first week of summer vacation, and I was already enjoying the sun, no school, and freedom. Grabbing my coffee and a book from the book shelf, I went out to the porch to read in the sunlight. After some time a moving van pulled up beside the house across the street. The house there had been for sale for a couple of years, and it's nice to see someone moving in there.

I watched as the new owners got out of the van, and as some of the movers started to unload it. They saw me, smiled and waved. I did the same, and after watching them for a little while went back in the house to get ready for the day.

“You better be decent cause I'm coming in!” I heard my best friend yell as she walked through my bedroom door.

“Hey Tess,” I said as I finished combing through my long brown hair. Tess just plopped down on my bed her bright red curls bouncing along with her. Tess is a year older than I am, but the same grade. We're both seniors this coming fall, and have been best friends since we were little.

“So what's the plan for today? Fight the zombie apocalypse? Fly to Hogwarts? Maybe get a pet unicorn?”

“I'd say all of them. Actually, I do need to do a couple of things today for Valerie,” I said with a sigh.

“What's the step-monster got you doing now?”

“Pick up her dry cleaning, get some of the grocery's, pick up some other stuff for her at the mall. The usual, basically.”

“Well, at least we can check out all the cute boys at the mall while we're there!” And with that Tess jumped off my bed and bounded out of my room to the garage.

“Last one to the car is a rotten egg!” She yelled. I got up and chanced after her. No way was I going to be the rotten egg this time.

 

 

“Mia, did you get my dry cleaning like I asked?” My step-mother asked from the kitchen.

“Yeah, it's hanging on the back of your door.”

“Good. I just hope they didn't ruin another one of my suits. Why don't you set the table for dinner and help me out for once.” She said in her, “you're an ungrateful child” voice she uses. I got up and started to set the table. I've learned its just easier to do what she asks then to argue. I was setting the table when I heard my dad and Valerie having a super hushed conversation. Being the nosy brat I am, I tiptoed to the door and listened. It was hard to understand what they were saying so I started to open the door a little.

“What are you doing sissy?” My four year old brothers voice came from behind me causing me to jump.

“Nothing Kyle. Did you get all washed up and ready for dinner?” I replied as I gently pushed him away from the door. He shook his head yes, so I picked him up and put him in his highchair. A few moments later my dad and Valerie came through the doors, setting down hot plates full of steamy delicious looking food.

“How is work going dad?” I ask after taking a bite from my plate.

“It's going well. Going to have to be going on another business trip here soon.”

Valerie scoffed and continued to just sip from her wine glass. My father paid no attention to her though, trying to keep the peace I suppose.

“I don't want daddy to go!” Cried Kyle from his highchair.

“I know you kids don't like it when I leave but work is work. We have bills to pay, and you guys like living in this nice house right?”

“Speaking of nice houses, did you see someone bought the house across the street finally?” Valerie said from behind her glass.

“Really, I suppose we should go say hello sometime and welcome them to the neighborhood.”

“It be the neighborly thing to do.” She said icily. Telling there was some very unresolved tension between them I started to clean up my plate and get Kyle from his chair.

“I’ll go get Kyle started on his bath, and then Tess and I are seeing a movie tonight. I'll be home by one.” I say walking out of the dining room with Kyle in hand.

 

 

“What did you tell them you were doing tonight?” Tess asks from the passenger seat behind bites of her candy bar. She has a weird addiction to them, she pretty much always has at least one on her.

“Movies. Said I'd be home by one,” I say looking for the turn off to the Old Factory Mill. About twenty years ago the Old Mill was still in use, but it's been abandoned for years now. It wasn't anything all that special so no one really tries to sneak in, that's what makes it perfect. I finally find the turn and drive down the road for the mile it takes to actually get to the Mill and park behind it.

“Well I guess we don't have much time tonight, better get started,” Tess says hoping out of the car and bouncing into the Mill. I follow behind a little more slowly. Always cautious of my surroundings, especially at night. You never know what monsters are hiding in the shadows. We live in a world where the monsters you see in movies and hear about as a kid are real. Just not always the way you think. Vampires and werewolves are real. Demons and Angels are real. Fairies, witches, shape-shifters, nephiliam, and hybrids.

There are a group of people around the world that hunt these monsters. Not all of them are monsters, even the vampires and the werewolves are good sometimes. This group of people are called Protectors. Protectors help keep all the humans safe, and in the dark. I'm part of this group. Have been since I was fifteen years old, and now I'm the leader of the Los Angeles group. All protectors know how to fight and train for a long time, mostly in secret but sometimes the families know. Each group has five people. Each one of those five people has an element that they can control, that's why we stay in groups of five. I control spirit, people close with death usually have a better and closer hold to spirit. Tess controls fire, Annie controls earth, Alex controls water, and Sam controls air.

Sometimes in close groups you also have other special abilities that can help you in a fight. Like with Tess and I, we can communicate telepathically. Some can teleport to someone in their group that's in trouble. Really the possibilities are endless.

“Are you coming in or are you going to stay out in the dark all night?” Sam asks.

“Alright, I'm coming, I'm coming,” I say as I start to jog into the building. Everyone else is here and already starting on their warm ups. I quickly change into my spandex pants and a stretching top and some boots. Boots aren't the most partical thing for fighting in, but we try to blend in so we don't stand out in crowds when we're hunting. After changing I head up to the stairs to start our plans for the night.

“Alright guys, listen up! We don't have much time tonight to find the vamper that got away last week. Now he's been really good about covering his tracks and not leading us straight to him. However, he has to be starving by now so the best chance we have at catching him, is to catch him while he's hunting. Make sure you bring another weapon besides a stake. Tess can use fire to burn him, but we aren't all that lucky,” I say with a smirk towards Tess' direction. She nods and comes over to stand by me.

“Mia's right, he's going to be starving so he'll be weaker and an easier target. Groups of two's and three's. You know how we usually break it down, but since we have Dimitri's group coming to hunt with us tonight we're going to make it a little different. That is if they knew how to show up on time,” Tess says with a little bit of sarcasm to her voice. Just then his group comes strolling in like they own the place.

“Don't get your panties in a wad, Sugar. We're here now, aren't we?” Eric says directly to Tess a sexy glint in his eyes. Tess scoffs and steps down to let Dimitri up to speak along side me. He smiles at me politely and then gets right down to business.

“Time to get into groups and head out. As we're assigning you gather your weapons and make sure you have your gear ready to go. Don't be to obvious either. We don't want him to catch us before we catch him,” say Dimirti with so much authority. Everyone starts moving around as we start paring them off.

“Tess normally you're with me, but tonight I'd like you to work with Eric. He's got an fire ability and the two of you together makes for a good team,” I say as she gives me a look of hate.

“Sam, Josh, and Kris you'll be together tonight,” Dimitri says.

“Nope, no way. I am not working with those two. Not a chance in hell,” Kris says flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. Dimitri starts to say something but I cut him off before he gets the chance.

“Kris this isn't up for discussion. Sam and Josh are twice your size and the least worried about breaking a nail, but they will watch your back like none other. Sam is one of my best, and I know Josh has killed more vamps than you. So deal with it and get ready to go.”

She glares at me and mumbles something that sounded a hell of a lot like “b***h” but does as I said and got moving. Dimitri chuckles, and continues on with the list. Annie, Alex and Kody were teamed up leaving Dimitri and I to be a pair tonight. Not that I minded. He was good, really good. Good looking too. The kind of hot that catches your breath and makes you want to drool. Tall, dark and brooding. Except with the most gorgeous blue eyes you had ever seen. Eyes that you could just lose yourself in. Eyes that..

“Earth to Mia!” Tess yells pulling my attention away from Dimitri. I look back at her and nod, turning to grab my Sai and heading out to the cars. As much as I love to drive I hand over the keys to Dimitri and let him drive. We pull out of the factory last, and drive to a dive bar in the middle of know where that is a very likely vampire target. It takes about twenty minutes to get there and neither of us are the best conversationalists. So I turn on the radio trying to fill the silence.

“You know, I've always wondered what your element is. You seem to know everyone's, even mine. But I don't know yours,” Dimitri says, slightly glancing over at me trying to get a read on it.

“Spirit.”

“Really. You would have thought that it be fire since you're so feisty all the time.”

“Well Tess is the feisty one, whatever fiest I have I got it from her,” I say with a slight laugh. He looks over at me and smile and my heart melts at its beauty.

“You know it's really not fair for you to smile like that.”

“Oh?” He grins, “And why not?”

“Turn left, we're here,” I say avoiding telling him that it takes a girls breath away. He turns and we get out of the car. We scan the lot as we head into the bar but no one's out side. We step inside and immediately take a seat at the bar. There's a couple of booths with people in them and some guys playing pool. But one person catches my eye. Sitting at the end of the bar is my dad.

 

Tess

 

“Could you please just shut the hell up!” I yell feeling irritated. Oh was I going to kick Mia's a*s for doing this to me. She knows how much Eric annoys me. Looking over I ses he's tensed up and immediately she does too scanning for whatever caught his attention. Bam! Something smacks into my side knocking me of balance. I quickly regain it and turn to see a vampire has a hold of Eric. He;s squriming to get free as I charge over to him. I swing my leg up and kick the vamp in the side hard enough he lets go of Eric who quickly gets away and has his stake out. The vampire charges at Eric, but before he can even get to him I summon my element and send the bloodsucker up in flames. Eric plunges the stake through his heart, killing it faster than the flames would.

“Damn, you're pretty badass,” Eric says panting. I give him a flirty smile and then start jogging back to his Jeep.

“We may have killed a vamp tonight but it wasn't the one who got away. We can keep looking or we can head over and find one of the other groups and see if they got him.”

“Let's drive through a few blocks and see if anything looks off, then meet up with everyone at the Mill.” We load up into the Jeep and take off into the night.

* * *

 

“Nothing looks odd. We should probably head back, it's getting late,” I say as we make our sixth run through the streets. Eric just nods and heads off to the Mill. We drive in silence until we get to the Mill. Sam's truck is back so I hop out of the Jeep and head inside to see what they've found. Once I'm inside I can see that the three of them are sitting close together, with a first aid kit in Kris' lap.

“You guy's alright?” Eric asks walking up behind me. They nod but stay silent. Something happened tonight that they don't want to talk about.

“Get yourselves cleaned up and changed. Once you tell Mia what happened tonight you can go home,” I say heading up to the top of the stairs to wait for her.

 

 

Mia

 

 

“Oh my God,” I whisper, mouth wide open. I slide closer to Dimitri and try to hide behind his big build. He looks at me with a strange look about to ask something when the bartender comes up and asks what we'd like to drink. Dimitri says something but I don't really hear it. I'm to busy gawking at my father sitting at the end of the bar. He starts to get up, and then stops. I stop breathing. He looks over at us and then looks away, grabs his coat and leaves the bar without a word. I let out the breath I'd been holding.

“You okay there?” Dimitri asks looking down at me.

“That guy that just left was my dad.”

“Oh s**t. That's bad. He looked right over here too. He had to have seen you.”

“I'm so screwed when I get home. I told him I was at a movie with Tess tonight. Oh man, what am I going to do. S**t.” I say with a sigh as I notice the time. Dimitri asks a few questions, scans the room and then drops a twenty on the bar, grabs my hand and leads me out of the bar. I don't ask any questions as he leads me to the car. He stops right in front of my door and looks down at me. His eyes dark with passion, he leans in and then tucks some hair behind my ear and opens the door. I get in as he's walking around to the drivers side of the car. In the three years I have known Dimitri only one other time had he been that close to me. My mind was swimming with ideas of him kissing me. He's already on the road heading back to the Mill and I still can't think of what to say. So I just settle for turning on the radio and being quiet. After about twenty minutes we're at the Mill and everyone's already back. He shuts off the car and gets out to open the door for me. All I can think about it kissing him. It's all I've wanted for so long. So when he opens the door I hop out stand on my tip toes and kiss him. He kisses me back with such passion and longing. Leaning me against the car deepening the kiss. I'm the one to break it, I don't even look at him as I stride into the building.

“We got nothing what did you guys get?” I ask climbing the stairs sitting next to Tess. She nods and I nod back waiting for someone to speak.

“We got one vamp a few blocks from the park,” Eric says.

“We didn't get anything either,” Alex says looking down.

“We got the vamp that went missing. He's dead, but not before he killed a human,” Sam says looking haunted. We know what vampires can do, but actually seeing a person killed by a vampire is a different story, it doesn't leave your memory.

“Normally I'd ask for details, but go home. All of you head home. It's late, we got who we wanted and an extra. Good work, get some sleep,” I say dismissing everyone. They all head out sluggishly. Worn and sore, everyone but Tess and Dimitri leave.

“I'll wait in the car while you guys talk,” Tess says already half way down the stairs. We don't say anything until we hear the car door shut. I risk glancing at Dimitri realizing just how bold I had been to kiss him. He's already looking at me and the same passion is burning in his eyes.

“You shouldn't have done that?” He sighs, looking almost defeated.

“Why's that?”

“You know we can't be anything, we have people we have to protect. We can't get involved. It would just make things complicated.”

“I don't care. I like you. You know that, you always have. From the moment I joined your group three years ago. I don't want to pretend I don't anymore. It's like I should be ashamed to have feeings for you and I don't want that. We have a past.”

“You don't think I don't know that?” He growls. He runs his hands through his hair. About two years ago Dimitri and I had been out patrolling and one thing led to another and we were kissing. We had been so caught up in the kiss that neither of us had noticed the wolf attack. Luckily, it wasn't a werewolf, just a shape shifter but still. I had ended up hurt pretty badly, and so had Dimitri when he pushed me out of the way and taken the attack meant for me. The wolf had left claw marks down his back leaving six white scares behind.

“You don't act like you do. It's always business now. Like that night never happened!”

“I have a permanent reminder that night happened!” His words hit like daggers. He went to say something, sadness in his eyes, but I just walked away. Too hurt to say anything. It was my fault he had those scares in the first place. I walked into the make shift changing room we had and changed back into what I was wearing before. As I was pulling my sweatshirt on Dimirti came in and pulled me in for a hug.

“I'm sorry, I just worry. I'd throw my self in front of anything to save you Angel,” He whispers into my hair. I sigh, he'd call me an angel when he was teaching me how to fight. Told me I radiated light and love. I nuzzled into him breathing in his smell. He smelled so wonderful. I was safe and warm here in his arms and I never wanted to leave. I looked up at him and he pulled me up onto my tip toes and kissed me. A wonderful, amazing kiss.

“We aren't part of the same group any more Dimitri. Sure we work together, but it's not everyday. I'm a leader now. I know that I have to look over my own, just like you do. And you know they look out for us too. I learned everything I know from you, and that's why I'm here today. I can take care of myself now,” I say looking into his eyes. He leans down and kisses me again and whispers, “Okay..”

 

Tess drops me off at the end of the long driveway and gives me a look saying that she still waiting to know what happened tonight. I act as if I didn't see and head up to the door. I made it home before one some how, but my dad was still awake. I carefully head into the kitchen to grab a water and start to head up the stairs when I hear my dad coming around the corner.

"How was the movie?" He asks.

"It was good, nothing special," I said starting to head up the stairs. I make it about half way when my dad says my name.

"Sleep good honey." He said leaving me wondering if he saw me or not tonight. I headed up the stairs and dropped onto my bed. After much day dreaming about Dimitri I finally succumbed to sleep.

 

When I woke up everyone was gone again and I did my normal routine of making coffee and sitting on the porch. I sat there lost in thought much longer than normal and had to rush to get my chores done. I rushed around and did some laundry, made myself some food and then disappeared to my room before Valerie got home. I was pretending to read  when she walked into my room.

"Can I help you with something?" I ask, a little more snippy than I meant too.

"Yes. Pick up your brother from daycare."

"Sorry, can’t. I have a summer class today. I told you and Dad that."

"Well, I'll write you a note for being late."

"Look, I love my brother and I would normally get him. But I have to go to class today, and I'm not going to be late to my first summer class so you can do God knows what that you clearly think is more important that getting your son. So, unfortunately I have to go and can't help you out." I say grabbing my bed and brushing past her before she could say anything else. I don't actually have any summer classes. We all made up some excuse to our parents to be able to get away a couple times a week to train, mine was school since its something that mine cant tell me know too. Or keep me from going.

I go to the Mill before any one else did, so I decided to walk down to the river. The river is my favorite place to be, its peaceful and quiet there. I heard rustling behind me, I turned around so fast, leg already ready to kick. My eyes didn't register who I was kicking until my foot made contact with Dimitri's face.

"I'd hate to see what you'd do to someone you don't like," Dimitri said with a chuckle.

"I'm sorry, it was a reaction. I didn't mean to kick you. But you really should be more prepared if I was able to catch you off guard," I said trying to cover my embarrassment. He laughed and picked me up in a huge bear hug.

"I'm always prepared. I let you have it, there's no way you could catch me unprepared." He set me down and walked over to the edge of the river and sat down on the rocks. I slowly walked over, mesmerized by the way he sat so calm, the way his hair lightened in the sun. He was wearing jeans and a black t-shirt that fit his oh so nicely. Shaping the lines of his muscles and his slim yet bulky build. Realizing I had stopped and was just staring I started walking again and sat down right by him. We sat in silence for a few minuets then he sighed.

"What?" I asked .

"This place is so beautiful. It’s nice, to be here, with you. I miss it you know," He said looking down at the water.

"Well you're always welcome to visit," I said looking at my hands.

"Mia."

"Yes?"

"Do you think about her often?"

"Everyday," I said looking up at him, "I come here as often as I can."

"I'm sorry."

"Dimitri it's not your fault. A drunk drive hit her car. It's nobody's fault except the asshat who hit her."

"But you weren't there because of me, it’s my fault you didn't get to say goodbye," He said starting to sound frustrated.

"You can't keep blaming yourself. My mom is dead, there's never going to be a goodbye for me. She was my best friend and she's gone. There isn't anything we can do. I dealt with her passing and I have come to terms with it. I know its not my fault, and now you need to accept that it isn't your fault either. Everyone's going to start showing up now, we should go inside," I said getting up and sprinting up to set up for training today. I started to pull out the mats and stretch before everyone showed up. As I was stretching Dimitri  came in and started to stretch beside me. I didn't say anything and neither did he. When we heard the first car pull up we both stopped and started up the stairs to get a head count of everyone.

One by one everyone started piling into the room, and shortly after Dimitri was standing and telling everyone to stretch. After about 20 minutes I tell everyone to spar and practice.

"Okay everyone! If you need weapons training go see Eric, if you need sparing training, Dimitri or myself will help you, and if you need element training see Tess," I said heading over to the mats. After a little I sent over Alex to Dimitri to keep sparing so I could see how everyone was doing. I walked around every station and observed intensely.

"Better form than last week Alex, keep it up"

"Josh, getting good with that sword."

I walked through for a few more minutes keeping my eyes away from Dimitri so I don't get distracted. I head up to the top stairs and call for everyone's attention.

"Alright great work today guys. Let get patrol parties ready and then meet up later," I said looking them over.

"I think it would be good if everyone went out tonight. Things have ben weird out there. More activity than normal," Dimitri said climbing up the stairs.

"Works for me, okay groups of two's tonight!" I called out.

"Eric and Tess. Josh and Alex. Sam and Kris. Kody and Annie. Mia and myself," Dimitri said. Tess gave him a sour look.

Do I seriously have to work with him again? I just laugh and nod my head at her. She glared but agreed. Everyone met up with their partner to discuss strategy and where their meeting. I hopped off the stairs and headed down to Tess.

"Hey, go ahead and assign locations. Dimitri and I will cover outskirts, have everyone leave at just after 9 pm. And then when everyone is done, have that meet at the cluster of abandoned buildings. I want to see if there's anything is going on there, there might be a nest or something," I said eyeing Dimitri waiting by the door. She noticed where I was looking and just smiled. She nodded in his direction and said she'd take care of everything. After telling her to meet me for dinner later I shout a quick goodbye and head towards Dimitri.

I walked past him, and back to the river. He followed right behind me knowing what I was doing.

"Sparing like the old days?" He asked coming up behind me. I didn't say anything, just turned and swung my leg. He caught it and pushed it back trying to knock me off balance. Being prepared for that I caught myself and pushed back. We continued to spar for quite awhile.

"You definitely haven't lost your touch," I said trying to catch my breath.

"Neither have you," He said smiling. He grabbed me and pulled me into his arms, he brushed my bangs out of eyes and leaned down to kiss me. I stood up on my tip toes to meet him for the kiss. He has to bend down because he's so tall and I'm so short. Makes us one hell of a team though. He's quick for his size and you wouldn't guess it until you saw him fight. However, you would have no idea that I'd pack so much of a punch for being so small.

"I should be getting home," I sigh, breathless from the kiss. He just nods and lets me go. I smile at him before bounding off to my car.

 

"Mia!" My dad called from downstairs. I sighed and headed down to the living room.

"What's up dad?"

"How come you didn't take your brother to daycare? Val said you were rude and refused to take him."

"I told her and you both that I signed up for summer classes to get ahead so I don’t have to take a full set of classes for senior year."

"You did? I don't remember. But that's fine, glad you're taking school seriously."

"Yeah, thanks dad. Uh, Tess is coming over for dinner tonight," I said as I left the room to head back to my room.

I was in the middle of reading when Tess comes bouncing into my room and straight onto my bed.

"Tell me what's going on between you two!"

"It's nothing, well not nothing. I don't know what's happening. I kissed him, and then he kissed me, and then he kissed me again. It was wonderful and breathtaking," I said without taking a breath. I dove into telling her all about what happened. She sat quietly until I was done.

"He's actually being okay with this? I mean after what happened last time.." She trailed off softly. I nodded, lost in the memory. We spent the time remaining before dinner and talked about Dimitri.

"Dinner was great tonight Mrs. Hunt. Thank you for having me over," Tess said to my step-mother.

"You're welcome Tessa, though it be nice to be informed earlier," She snipped at me.

What a b***h, Tess though. I giggled and then tried to quickly cover it up with a cough. Dinner went on quietly with minimal conversation.

"Hey dad, would it be fine if I spent the night at Tess'?"

"Yeah sure honey. That's fine with me." I thanked him and then took my dish to the kitchen before going up to my room to pack.

"Spending the night, nice cover," Tess said going through my closet looking for clothes to borrow. I ignored her and kept grabbing things to put in my bag.

"Tess, shut the door for me please." She got up and shut it, as I went over to my window seat and lifted it up. I hide all my weapons and extra training clothes in there. No one knows it opens besides Tess, that way if anything needs to be hidden we're the only ones who knows where its at.

I had all my stuff and Tess and I headed out to go meet up with Eric and Dimitri to start patrols for the night. 



© 2015 Simplydreaming


Author's Note

Simplydreaming
Again, spelling and grammar errors are to be disregarded please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on January 8, 2015
Last Updated on January 8, 2015


Author

Simplydreaming
Simplydreaming

Alamogordo, NM



About
When I was little I loved to play make believe with my best friend. We created an entire world based from things we enjoyed. I think that is where the love for writing came from. I like to create a wo.. more..

Writing