Retreat

Retreat

A Poem by Losing ground

My consciousness retreats inside of my head. Withdrawing from this situation that causes me so much pain. As I am flung into turmoil my sensory perceptions fade away; my vision reduced to a pinpoint, my breathing slowed.


 Your voice calls to me from a distant place, a place that I feel a stranger to. Even if I knew the words to say; the answers to your questions, an explanation of my feelings, a description of my thoughts, there would still only be silence. My spoken voice has severed from the person that you know.


Any words I have now will never see the light of day as they tumble incoherently through what's left of my mind. Perhaps that's the best place for such thoughts and words to stay, far from the ears of civilized people, and far from those whose judgmental eyes I could not bare to have gaze upon me. Trapped within myself these words should stay with only me to keep them company and for me the likewise.


My hope, my joy, my compassion have all been stripped away. Revealing my true self. A broken soul bound to travel the ages living out the punishment well deserved from failed attempts at lives in the past. The pain I feel is mine to embrace and one that I undoubtedly have many lifetimes left to explore.

           No matter how long I sleep I am still tired. No matter how far I run, I am still too close. No matter how long I hold my breath, I am still alive. I continue to find myself tied and gagged and left to endure the fallacies of my persona that I am forced to share with the world.


Sometimes I am able to fool myself into thinking that given the option to escape all of this that I would. In an admission that shows the true nature of the beast inside of me; I am happy where I am and I am happy with him. I give myself fully to what lives inside, to what encases me, to what is my friend.

© 2012 Losing ground


Author's Note

Losing ground
I haven't written much in the way of poetry before and I have never really shared any of it. Everyone is free to comment on it as they see fit. If you like it, or hate it, or somewhere in between, it's all good. I am not trying to be something I am not.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ok, I really like how this is poetry, but it is also prose. It creates a nicer flow than if you were to just break up the lines. Of course, there is a time and a place for everything though.
Awesome writing! Truly loved it.

Here's a quote I just wanted to share:
"A prose writer gets tired of writing prose, and wants to be a poet. So he begins every line with a capital letter, and keeps on writing prose." ~Samuel McChord

I just love how prose should be just as beautiful and flowing as poetry, and your work is just that. It is meaningful and deep and beautiful. Never stop writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ok, I really like how this is poetry, but it is also prose. It creates a nicer flow than if you were to just break up the lines. Of course, there is a time and a place for everything though.
Awesome writing! Truly loved it.

Here's a quote I just wanted to share:
"A prose writer gets tired of writing prose, and wants to be a poet. So he begins every line with a capital letter, and keeps on writing prose." ~Samuel McChord

I just love how prose should be just as beautiful and flowing as poetry, and your work is just that. It is meaningful and deep and beautiful. Never stop writing!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
1 Review
Added on November 20, 2011
Last Updated on January 28, 2012
Tags: depression, sadness, death, beast, escape, comfort, pain, hope