Collapse

Collapse

A Story by Leo1985
"

This is a story about the breakdown of American society after the economy collapses, through the eyes of one man.

"
For the longest time I had been waiting for this to happen. I welcomed it. When 9/11 happened I was excited. To me it felt like I had entered into a a blockbuster disaster movie. I thought life would never be normal again, and that made me happy. Of course life did return to normal for must of us. We did all the things we would normally do: school, work, friends, television. But since that day, I had always wondered if something huge like that would ever happen again. I had gotten my first taste of apocalypse, and I liked it. It's not that I like the idea of thousands of people suffering and dying. To be honest I never gave it much thought, I was only 17 after all. Though I'm not sure if that's a proper excuse.
So when Wallstreet collapsed, it was like Christmas in July for me. As the stock market dropped more and more, a surge of giddiness entered me. I was glued to the television, soaking up every piece of news. I saw the bewilderment of the talking heads on CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC. Their fear was my delight. Their world was collapsing, along with their stock portfolios.
At the age of 29, just 7 years earlier, I finally figured out why I was so attracted to the idea of disaster. It's because in normal life, I felt like a slave. A slave to society and cultural norms; a slave to my bosses, fearing them looking over my shoulder. I didn't feel like I had any power in the old world, or a sense of self. I was just a person constantly reacting and bending to the will of everyone else.
So when I realized this collapse was no 2008, but much worse, I could feel my chains falling off. It felt like the snow day that would never end. School was out forever. There's no need to show up for work. There's no point!

In the following chapters. I will give you a front row seat through my eyes, and ears of everything that happened afterward. I trust that it won't disappoint.

© 2017 Leo1985


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on June 4, 2017
Last Updated on June 4, 2017
Tags: Collapse, aftermath, dystopia, America