My Heaven

My Heaven

A Story by Aura Inanna
"

“You’re close now, love. How long has it been, that we’ve been hunting each other?" A short (romance-esque?) horror.

"

I watch the painting as the painting watches me. I can hear two heartbeats in this room, where only I stand to appreciate the scenery. The leash on my left wrist pulls me away, deep breathing on my back as I leave. The chain stretched taut, attaching my wrist to some unknown captor, leading me through the halls to the abyss, forces me to move my crumbling body faster and faster. I drag the rifle behind me, the tip of its barrel scraping the wooden floor as we move ever slowly, all too fast. The rifle is a gift from a dead man; I can hardly use it. It grates along the floor, screeching like a dentist’s drill. I wouldn’t have taken this heavy thing with me if it hadn’t felt so familiar in my hands.

    The chain leading me down the unwelcoming hallway falls to the floor with an incredible crash, leaving me stopped in front of wide double doors. Leaning the rifle against the wall, I wiggle the doors until their rusty hinges allow them to creak open, releasing puffs of dust and terrible whines of misuse. I take the rifle up again, this time hoisting it up into my hands, holding it how I can only assume a gun is held. The rifle leads my way, the chain follows, bouncing and jingling along the floor. The flashlight on the tip of the rifle illuminates my surroundings. A message waits for me on the wall, done in a loving scrawl, red ink.


    “You’re close now, love. How long has it been, that we’ve been hunting each other? Five, seven days? Have you eaten, my dear? Is your head spinning? I’m waiting anxiously for you to arrive, but, please, explore this room thoroughly. Good night, my love.”

                                    TRW


    Deafening metal thunder rocks the floorboards, and the slamming, locking double doors vibrate the walls, sending years worth of dust down on my head. I spin around, clutching the rifle in my shaking hands, training its beam of light on the source of the noise. He was wrong; I’ve been trapped by this “love” of mine for eight days, led around by my wrist for eight days. That eight days’ worth of dragging, killing chain lays on the floor in front of me. A key glints in gold on the other end, a tag attached. One side holds a small message, “Come quickly, love,” the other a picture--a rook. I rip the tag to take the key from the chain.

    Unable to remove my shackle, I drag the chain along with me. I inspect the room. The ticking of a handless grandfather clock beats in my chest. I try the gold key on everything with a lock; it fits none of them. I am wandering a locked room, lost, now without a leash to be led on, the room full of “my dear”, “my love.” The rifle becomes heavier in my hands, its light dulling.

    I try the key on the back of the handless clock, hoping to at least stop the incessant passage of time. The door swings open, revealing the ticking pendulum. Another note is written on the bottom panel of the clock, over which the pendulum, with its heavy-handed attempt to regulate this hell-hole, swings. This note reads, in a different script than before, one jittery with fear, “We cannot make it home. The Rook Watches.”

    And so we cannot. An animal growls, ready to shed blood, from outside the window behind me. A loving, cold finger traces the length of my spine. I jerk in reflex, pulling the rifle into my chest and kicking the clock over. The glass walled case shatters, sending shards skittering across the floor. The door to the back lays open, spilling the weights and chains out the sides like the blood of a murdered corpse, the pendulum laying, glittering, a bent, gold heart in the clock’s chest. Treading without thought over the broken glass, I aim my rifle’s dimming light at the pendulum. Broken open like a bon-bon, a white key falls out. I grab it and make for the door.

The ivory key unlocks the door and I run from the room, in the direction I was being led before my lifeline was severed. I steady the rifle as best I can in front of me, the beam of light, ever growing duller, the only thing revealing my way in the darkness. All I can feel is the heat from that cold touch on my back, the beating of my heart in my ears like another's chasing me. The chain crashes along behind me, knocking against everything, inciting everything to chase me.

I meet another pair of double doors like the first, and shove the ivory key into these ones too, throwing the doors open and slamming them shut behind me, without looking to see what was inside.

I hear the lock fall in these doors. Gasping for breath, I take a peek at the room I’ve dared to enter.

My only light fails me. My rifle clatters to the floor, my only sense of safety lost to the blackness.

I’m pathetic, left alone in this final room. Helpless, even my body mixes with the dark. I see nothing. No one’s here; I’m the only one.


    “It really is a pleasure to see you again, my love.”

© 2014 Aura Inanna


Author's Note

Aura Inanna
Subtle horror really interests me, I hope you like it too. Word count: 896

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The horror of this and the lack of possible escape lends a very chilling mood to this write. The "love" that is actually chilling obsession truly makes me shudder. You also did well with the description. It ended on a very grim note as the central character lost their rifle.

I would love more description of the voice or writing. At the end, I wasn't sure if it was more writing or a voice

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, just wow.

Kaze~ :-)

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is a fun peice of flash fiction. I feel dark waves as I read the account. The present tense makes it a little difficult to read only because I'm not used to seeing this approach often.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aura Inanna

9 Years Ago

I always forget that I write in present tense and no one else does. It's just a bad habit, I guess;;.. read more
jjwilbourne

9 Years Ago

Its not a bad habit if you like it.
Aura Inanna

9 Years Ago

Thank you; that's really sweet. :)
The horror of this and the lack of possible escape lends a very chilling mood to this write. The "love" that is actually chilling obsession truly makes me shudder. You also did well with the description. It ended on a very grim note as the central character lost their rifle.

I would love more description of the voice or writing. At the end, I wasn't sure if it was more writing or a voice

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very interesting my friend and enjoyable read...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Fabulous, I love short horror stories and this hit the spot! It seemed, strange. I was always waiting for the explanation, but it never came. Good job Aura!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Congratulations!
This piece made it to the top ten out of 373 other submissions of the "Promote Me! (Again)" contest.
For making it this far, if you submit this piece to the "Promote Me!" group library, then I will accept it into the library.
If you win the voting phase (which closes 7/18/14) then your piece will be featured on the "Promote Me!" group and other such promotions.
Link to group is: http://www.writerscafe.org/groups/Promote-Me%21/11216/

So, If you like this piece follow the following link and vote for it!
http://www.writerscafe.org/contests/Promote-Me%21-%28Again%29/50038/

I vaguely recall choosing this piece for a different contest of mine, but can't quite recall which.
Anyway.
The story is intense, original, and has entrancing phrasing like "my only sense of safety lost to the blackness"
Well done, and good luck on the voting phase.

Posted 9 Years Ago


C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Boom. This piece is now in 94 more RR lists as your reward. I really wish I had 6 more friends so I .. read more
Oh that's creepy. In a good way of course, it reminds me of the worlds shortest horror story. Amazing work :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aura Inanna

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
I don't usually like stories, but this was so surreal and fabulous!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aura Inanna

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

820 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2014
Last Updated on March 9, 2014
Tags: my, heaven, romance, horror, psychological, love, story, scary, rook