A Scorned Father

A Scorned Father

A Poem by Undeniable Truth
"

trying to expand my writing, I written from a woman's POV, now i'm trying to understand a father's...

"

It was a typical day, and my son was acting out of inexperience and immaturity.

I know he simply doesn’t know any better, but still it really upsets me.

I try to teach him mildly, but he simply wouldn’t listen.

Therefore I decided to resort to a slightly harsher discipline.

We’d been through this before, this seems to have been happening more,

And he is behaving in a way that my patience can no longer endure

I no longer do the talking, there’s no use to even bother,

And as soon as he sees the belt coming off, he screams, “I wish you weren’t my father!”

 

My anger flared within me, yet the overwhelming pain surpassed it,

Even after he received his physical pain that day, he has no idea how long this emotional pain has lasted.

He doesn’t understand that I have disciplined him out of love.

He doesn’t understand that I don’t want him to be me; I want him to be better and rise above.

He doesn’t know that when he was first born, I held him in my arms and almost wept.

He doesn’t realize even though I don’t say it often, that I’ve been proud of him since his first steps.

There are no words to describe the love that I have for him.

I can best show through my actions that he’s my precious gem.

Love moves me to teach him, even though he may presently experience strife.

Even though he may hate me at the moment, I know this lesson will benefit him later in life.

Even though he may not appreciate me, even if he never does,

I put my all and gave him my best because of my fatherly love.

Sometimes I am portrayed as the bad guy, like I don’t want him to experience enjoyment.

But I want him to have fun and enjoy life, even in the future as he deals with bills, rent and employment.

I know that he’ll never understand how I feel, or why I’ve done the things I’ve done,

Unless he himself indulges in the joys and pains that come with having a son.

Sometimes he doesn’t speak, just walks by without a sound.

He’s expressed that I’m a negative man, that he feels my displeasure in him abounds.

I wish he could see the source of all those past outbursts and criticisms, that they weren’t made out of hate.

I only want him to be a better man, and not make the mistakes that I’ve made.

I only want his long-term happiness even if he doesn’t understand it right now.

I will make any sacrifices necessary to ensure that even if he doesn’t appreciate how.

I hope he will become conscious of the fact that all these words are true.

Including the reality that there will never be another man that is as proud of and loves him as much as I do.

© 2011 Undeniable Truth


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was an interesting piece to read. The rhymes you put together, were astonishingly, and delightfully subtle.
Though it did sound just a tiny bit forced every now and then, the over-all effect was very moving, and it had a lighter air about it once ones eyes did finally recognize the hidden rhyming structure.

All in all, I would say don't change anything about it

95/100

Sincerely,
Shannon

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 5, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2011

Author

Undeniable Truth
Undeniable Truth

NJ



About
I am simply trying to understand myself and grow from my poetry. If I happen to catch your eye, then by all means stop by, but to be honest, this is all therapeutic, to learn to love again before I di.. more..

Writing