3/14/2024

3/14/2024

A Poem by amomentforus

And if I have to go back. To every place we ever laughed, telling jokes between stories of better times, I was never going to be a part of. Memory, the fellow fool hung, between our breaths. And aimless tours in shop windows, pointing out all the things we didn’t want.


On the bus again, I now lean my head against the window. A stranger coughs next to me and I hope he gets me sick. Wouldn’t that be intimate, a stranger’s spit in my mouth, like when we kissed at dance clubs. Throwing jeers into the crowd, throwing cheaply made plates on the streets of Crete. And those were always supposed to break.

Now in the taxi cab, the world is spinning, between Oliver talking loudly and trying pho for the first time, hunched over and longing, to stare at strangers with better dimples and windbreakers worn open, to parade through crowded streets, hoping they notice our love and not that we are on holiday. Quenching thirst and throwing it back down, sore throats from screaming. I hate the clack of flip flops on cobbled streets. Get over yourself, picking low hanging fruit from sour orange trees. At least they smell nice, yea? Yea, that was always their only intention. 

© 2024 amomentforus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on April 1, 2024
Last Updated on April 1, 2024
Tags: poetry, poems, writing

Author

amomentforus
amomentforus

New York, NY



About
amomentforus is a writer/poet from NYC. She explores the intersection of memory and identity through character explorations highlighting human desire and motivation. With a background in Psychology an.. more..

Writing