A Girl's Guide On Fighting The Postscript

A Girl's Guide On Fighting The Postscript

A Poem by makayla
"

i wanted to be loud and angry and feminist

"

I never talk about feminism anymore.

I fear that all my words will be neglected by the simple fact I am a girl,

because when was feminism made for females anyways?

I never talk about feminism anymore because I am worried that whatever I say will become a postscriptum.

My words will be pushed up into the glass ceiling; people will say I’m one of “those girls”.

This is a message to all of “those girls”:


When “girl power” in mentioned in public.

p.s. Scream it as loud as you can and soon you’ll hear a chorus you never knew you would be capable of conducting.


When a mother tells her daughter bullying is a form of affection.

p.s. Hugging and kissing is affection, hair pulling and “learning your place” is a criminal offence that will have girls calling abuse hotlines in shame.


When they say feminism doesn’t cater to men.

p.s. In a world where everything already does, we need to focus on women before we focus on growing together. No one asks the sheep to hug the fox and tell him she loves him.


When a girl says to her friend “I’m like so ugly today”.

p.s. If boys (or anyone for that matter) doesn’t love you because your makeup is “too much” or “too little” then you are not the problem, you were never the problem.


When you feel uncomfortable even going out in public.

p.s. They will say you are overreacting. Tell these people to underreact is to be the innocent child lost in a riptide, to overreact is to become both the riptide and the lifeguard.


When you feel you are becoming a postscriptum.

Reach your hands past the lines of the page, tell your insecure letters to shed their skin;

in this space you are allowed to show your shoulders.

Admire every word;

all different yet still beautiful, and they band together to create revolution.

Let none of your ideas become just a p.s.

You are all of the message and more, girl.

© 2017 makayla


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on September 5, 2017
Last Updated on September 5, 2017

Author

makayla
makayla

CT



About
hi there! i'm a tiny slam poet currently residing in Connecticut, USA. i like to write slam poems, which are meant to be preformed visually and audibly, but here are all of my polished poems for your .. more..

Writing
f**k you f**k you

A Poem by makayla


Seaglass Seaglass

A Poem by makayla