Shelter

Shelter

A Story by Manda

     The pouring rain grew more and more intense, the hot sun beaming down on her in a sinister way. She grew anxious and anticipated waking up in sweat. Her mind seemed to go faster than her feet as she bolted through the clustered woods. Trees hundreds of years old seemed to be pushing their way in front of her, trying to prevent her from reaching the other side of the forest.

     Much to her relief, she encountered a cave, a shelter from the hot sun and very wet rain. She ducked inside, relieved and tired. The cove was dark and wet, and smelled of dirt. She welcomed the smell and the coverage.

     She suddenly felt rain seeping through the roof. The crevices of the rock left an opening for the moisture to come through. Was the rain turning to sleet? The drops were heavier, bigger, thicker. She felt some on her leg and wiped her hand in it. It wasn’t rain, but something else…

     Saliva. She panicked, got up and ran out of the shelter. No longer a cove, no longer a refuge, but a beast. Its pointy ears twitched and the teeth stretched over the rocky roof that was its huge mouth. Boulders opened to reveal hungry eyes that gleamed brighter than the daylight around them. The dirty, earthy smell was its breath, and she could feel it on her face. It looked at her, had tasted her, and wanted more…

© 2012 Manda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This feels like it could be a metaphor for something. It's rare one needs shelter from the hot sun and rain which might turn into sleet. But that said, it adds to the Fantastic feel of the piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have wonderful descriptions. I could definitely imagine myself in the same situation as the girl in your story. Great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 21, 2012

Author

Manda
Manda

Albuquerque , NM



About
I'm terrible at these "about me" things. Well, I'm a worker at a daycare on her way onto becoming a teacher and writer. My quirky sense of humor,love for morbid and disturbing horror, and familiarity .. more..

Writing
Dray Dray

A Story by Manda