Untitled

Untitled

A Story by Manda
"

This was a dream I had...

"
Everything around us was cold and white, like a blanket had been thrown over us. The landscaping was barren and silent, creepy. We were outside of the house, or more like a half of a house really. I couldn't see any sign of life, and honestly haven't for some time. I began to scope all around when I looked at Sue and she was shivering. I took off my ratty cardigan and put it around her. Her rosy cheeks kind of made the sweater look like it had some color left even though it didn't. She nodded gently to me, thanking me. But she didn't say anything. She hardly did anyway.
     I was waiting to hear Mama Martha call for us. It was about time for dinner. I could tell Sue was waiting too but bringing up Mama Martha would upset her. I felt so bad for her. The poor thing was only eight years old, lived with Martha for four of them. I guess the other four she was just wandering. Me personally, I had only been with Mama Martha three years but since I'm older it doesn't seem as bad.   
    Sue and I were planning an escape tonight after dinner. That's why she wasn't speaking...she was concentrating. I had told her my plan by writing it on some paper I found in the basement while getting out Mama Martha's wigs. I wrote it out, and after reading it Sue burned it while she was making a fire. Our plan would be in motion after dinner tonight. 
     For years we have tried to escape from Mama Martha's, but her magic always caught us or stood in our way. But this plan I was sure was easy enough. We would be under Martin's care, Martha's boyfriend. He was going to have the television on tonight while Martha went into town for "things". While he was home, he would tell us to go play, trusting that the magic would keep us from running off. But we would be going under the magic. 
     In the basement, there was a cellar that had  been used as a tornado shelter. Now, it just homed a lot of books and papers and old boxes that Mama Martha packed away to make room for her new bedroom. Also, Mama Martha kept all of her dead dogs down here. After they died, she would have them stuffed and put away, claiming that she used their spirits and needed a place to keep them when not in use. 
    In the cellar there was an old, unstable thin metal tunnel built so people could get out of the shelter in case the other exit was blocked off. I found the tunnel with a flashlight while looking for something for Mama. Our plan was to sneak through the tunnel and get out from under the magic Mama put on the house. 
     After dinner, Mama said goodbye to Martin, walked past us, and left with bag in hand to go get her "things". What we knew was that she was getting some powders that she used on Martin to keep him happy and forgetful, and for us to remain obedient. Sue and I never swallowed anything Mama fed us. 
     Sue had her apricots, and I had my notebook. I had found some un-powdered dried apricots in the cabinet while Mama was napping so I snatched them for Sue for later. She always got teary-eyed when she was tired or hungry, and it always hurts me. And my notebook was the thing that kept me going and helped with communicating with Sue. We were ready for our journey. 
     We trudged down to the cellar after telling Martin we were sleepy. He didn't hear us. We used my old flashlight to navigate around the stuffed dogs and matted dog's pillows. Worst case scenario we could at least sleep down here until another plan was formed. Then at least Sue would have a warm bed to sleep in. 
     I gave Sue the light to hold while I pulled the boards off the round tunnel entrance. My anticipation and excitement grew as I started to feel the cold air start to seep in.we were finally going to be free....
     

© 2012 Manda


Author's Note

Manda
This is not meant to be something of a child abuse piece. Think of it as you would in a magical, children's story kind of way. This obviously needs work, but I'm asking for constructive criticism as to how to make this "not serious, weird, scary or perverse." It's intention is to be kind of like a "Chronicle's of Narnia" or "series of unfortunate events" kind of feel....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on February 2, 2012
Last Updated on February 2, 2012

Author

Manda
Manda

Albuquerque , NM



About
I'm terrible at these "about me" things. Well, I'm a worker at a daycare on her way onto becoming a teacher and writer. My quirky sense of humor,love for morbid and disturbing horror, and familiarity .. more..

Writing
Dray Dray

A Story by Manda