What's Up, Butter Cup?

What's Up, Butter Cup?

A Chapter by maraanne

The bell sounds at 2:50 and everyone races out of their fourth block class and to the buses. I wave to my teacher and exit the classroom as quickly as I can. I make my way down the hall and out the door to my bus. Not my preferred means of transportation; it smelled like sweat and despair.

Making my way to the back of the bus, I slide into the last seat. All I think about is my day... and her. Really, I don't like this feeling at all. I hate that she's the only thing in my head and I barely know her. It isn't right.

I feel someone sit down in the spot next to me, interrupting my thoughts. Before I could even look over, someone put their hands over my eyes.

Guess who? That soft voice whispers in my ear.

I raise my hands to the ones over my eyes, folding mine around them. I pull the hands away from my eyes and looked to the being next to me.

It was her.

Felicity sits next to me, grinning up at me with that pearl white smile. Ugh, she's driving me crazy and I haven't even known her a full 24 hours yet.

Hey. I greet, staring into those piercing blue eyes. She's so beautiful.

Hey, you! She bats her long eyelashes at me. I can't tell if she's flirting or just messing around with me. All I did was look back at her, studying her eyes. They sparkle.

I swear I caught a glimpse of infatuation in her eyes - the same feelings I have for her.

The bus's engine starting up snaps me out of my trance. All of a sudden I'm back to reality, no longer lost in her eyes. I guess she'd snapped out of her trance too because her attention was no longer on me. Had she even been in a trance? Pfft, who am I kidding?

I turn my attention back out the window and watch as we pull away from the brick jailhouse. Everything passes by so fast, my mind reeled all because of the dark haired beauty sitting an inch and a half away from me.

What would they call this feeling? I'm not in love with her, no way; I'd only known her eight hours. What's that word? Oh yeah, a crush. Felicity Corina was my first ever real crush.

Why did they call it a crush anyway? Maybe it's that feeling of possible rejection, and you literally feel crushed. I feel crushed already and I haven't even spoken more than twenty words to her. On top of that, I haven't even told her how I feel. How could I? She'd think I was crazy, considering i haven't known her long at all.

Bye, Butter Cup! Felicity nudges my shoulder, sliding her purse onto her shoulder and standing up.

Huh? I ask her, puzzled.

Y'know, like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, since your name is Reese! She giggles. You're my Butter Cup from now on, alright?

The way she says it gives me a tingly feeling on the inside. I smile up at her, taking all of her in once more. "Alright, I'll come up with a nickname for you eventually." And with that she throws her long hair over her shoulder and makes her way down the aisle. I keep my eyes on her the entire time, my eyes looking all over her. Even on spots I knew I shouldn't be looking at, but I'm a 14 year old guy.

* * *

It's 9:30 P.M. Almost time for me to go to bed. For the past hour, I've been lost in the television. I finally managed to get Felicity out of my head. All it took was some junk food and a little bit of MTV. I probably look like a zombie, staring at the t.v. like I am.

I roll over on my back and stare up at the ceiling. My mind wanders off into thoughts of the future; getting a car, getting a job; all of that good stuff. It'd keep me out of the house and keep me occupied. Maybe then I won't think as freaking much as I do now.

Right about t hen, an American Girl Doll commercial came on and she popped back in my head. Felicity.

Crap! I forgot to call her!

I jump up and race to the hamper in the corner of my room. Pulling my jeans out, I search the back pocket until I feel that tiny slip of paper touch my fingers. I retrieved the paper and walked back over to my bed. As I plop back down onto the pillow top, I grab my phone from the side table and dial the number.

After two way too long rings, I hear her voice on the other end.

Hey, it's Reese.

How stupid did I sound just then? Extremely stupid, probably.

What's up, Butter Cup?


After an hour long conversation, we said our good nights and parted for the evening.

I roll over under the covers and turn off the lamp on my bedside table. I close my eyes and muse. The best thing about school is that I get to see her everyday. I have a feeling this high school thing won't be so bad.


© 2011 maraanne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow.

No, seriously... wow. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

That was awesome. That totally hit me, right in the heart. That was so crazy... it was very well written, grammatically and stylistically. Reese felt so real--his thought process, his emotions, questioning himself. It was so connectible for me. This felt like I was reading a journal entry from myself four years ago, except my mom never sunk to alcohol abuse, and my Felicity's name was Brooke. And she was blonde. Other than that, this was my life's story. This is how I think. This is how I write.

But I'm not saying that to brag on myself in any way... I just want you to know what this did for me. It brought back incredible emotions from my parents' divorce, my grandfather's death, my ridiculous crush....

Wow.

Thank you so much for posting this. It was spectacular. I'm putting this in my Favorites. Loved the "THAT GIRL WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME", by the way. And the italicized dialogue. Capturing. Sorry for the long, scattered review. That really hit me... I can't even get my thoughts together enough to organize some decent praise. I'm glad I stumbled upon this. You're very talented.

Nostalgically,
Truman S. Booth

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 6, 2011
Last Updated on May 6, 2011


Author

maraanne
maraanne

About
i'm not really new to the writing world. i'm 16 and have been writing poems and short stories since i was in the sixth grade. now i'm trying to move on to actual books. oh, and outside of writing, .. more..

Writing
Smitten. Smitten.

A Chapter by maraanne