Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Mariah Renae
"

Chapter 1 of Sun Child

"

When the serving girl had first come to the inn they'd been lodging at for the past two weeks, he thought nothing of it. It wasn't uncommon for young people to come looking for them with reports of criminals, disasters, and the like. Most reports now a days were dull and usually within the jurisdiction of guards. It wasn't their problem if someone's chickens were stolen. And then, of course, there was the occasional gifted report. Someone would come in either smug or desperate or paranoid, claiming that the resident old maid or widow made their gardens grow extraordinarily well or had healing hands. But most of the time it was just desperate people looking for a quick buck. 

Cerin couldn't wait to leave. They had stayed to long and he was restless. Hunting for the Inn and running through the mountains wasn't enough. He needed to be on the move again. Thankfully, they were leaving soon, as they should be. They were kingsmen after all. 

Letting Jared take care of the serving girl, he sat at the bar and fletched some new arrows. The dining hall was nearly deserted, only Uncle Ben, the local drunk, and the three of them occupied the space. Cerin let his thoughts drift while keeping his ears open, it was a technique he'd honed many years ago. And then the serving girl mentioned how it had looked like a sun. He stilled, placing his work down and turning slowly to peer at her. 

She was plain, plain brown hair, murky brown eyes, a crisp cream apron over her plain green dress. Jared's eyes met his and held. Silence held its breath as he rose from his seat at the bar. He pulled out a chair at the table the girl and Jared occupied, the scrape of the chair filling the room. The serving girl fidgeted nervously.

"What did you just say?" Jared glared at him. Ok, he could have been gentler, but how could he think about courtesy when had a million questions crowding his thoughts.

She swallowed hard, her throat bobbing. "It was like a miniature sun. And it just hovered there in her hands. I wanted to touch it." Her eyes glazed over. "It was so beautiful, and golden, and bright. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen," she said in wonder. "Just like the sun." 

A miniature sun in the hands of a fair skinned, golden haired girl with a strange cloak. A sun child. Could it be her? The sun child he'd been seeking for so long. 

He let Jared ask the rest of the questions. When she was done telling them everything she could, Jared looked at him and in perfect unison they stood. Cerin threw a few nickels on the table for the girl and placed enough coin to cover their tab on the bar. Grabbing his arrows and tools, he followed Jared up the stairs to their rooms. Jared filled Sam in and within five minutes they were saddled and ready. Another five minutes and they were at the café where she had last been seen. 

"Great," Sam muttered agitatedly under his hood. The rain was coming down hard and most trackers wouldn't have been able to find her trail. And from how little there was left to point to her presence, Cerin guessed that the serving girl had not come to them right after the sun child had left, as she had claimed. 

He sighed. Although her traces were faint, he picked up her trail right away and he was sure Jared had too. Glancing at him he caught Jared's eyes and they both nodded slightly, a silent acknowledgement and agreement to wait for Sam to find the trail too. He was their apprentice after all, and it was their job to make sure he learned all he needed before he graduated to kingsman. He was improving all the time and within a minute he'd spotted the faint signs she had left behind that hadn't been washed away by the rain.

"Sam, take lead, follow her trail," Jared said. Hoods pulled low, they began their hunt. 

As the day progressed, Sam followed her trail more easily and they picked up speed. But the rain had other plans, trying to slow their progress. It fell in waves, giving them only brief rest bits before pouring down on them again. It was as if the clouds were trying to slow their progress. Each time the rain started again it would pour even harder than before, it had even trapped them under large trees a few times. 

"Take cover," Jared ordered, just in time. The rain had been light for the last half hour and it was time. The rain picked up, falling mercilessly as they took cover under a larger conifer. It was a summer storm. Eventually it would pass, but for now it dogged their heels and nipped at their ankles, like an annoying puppy. Very much like that summer storm three years ago. Trying desperately to stop the inevitable.

The dungeon was icy as he trudged towards the second to last cell on the left. His feet felt like lead. He didn't want to do this... but if he didn't... he couldn't think about that now. He had to keep moving. He straightened his already rigid spine, his muscles protesting. Eyes bore holes into his guard's uniform and he thought he might catch fire from the heat of that gaze. The First Kingsman's hawk eyes scrutinized his every move, looking for treachery in every step. But Cerin couldn't, wouldn't show any weakness. No, he had to survive this, even if he was the only one.

The prisoner sat motionless on her cot as he reached her cell. She had always seemed larger than life, a beautiful drop of sunshine in his otherwise unlit world. But in that moment she seemed small. It didn't matter that she sat tall and proud, despite her years. The knowledge that today would be her last transformed her into something fragile. Something precious that he desperately wanted to protect, but couldn't.

She had treated him like kin, her blood. It hadn't mattered to her that she hadn't birthed him or that he was her keeper. She had loved him anyways, and through her love she had reminded him how to love as well. She had been his salvation in the fear and desperation that coated his world. And now he would be her executioner. Like his mother all over again. And just like back then, he was powerless to protect her.

She stood as he unlocked her cell and wordlessly exited. She wouldn't run, but he held her arm anyway. They weren't alone and he had to make their audience believe he had no feelings towards her. Each step he took broke his heart. Rocks filled in his stomach and knots closed his throat. They were almost to the exit, to her last view of the world. Rain poured outside and mud streamed across the court yard. 

And then she was a weight in his hand dragging him a down a few stairs before he managed to stop their fall. Her feet tangled with his and he grunted, trying to haul her back onto her feet without falling further down the stairs. 

Their cheeks briefly pressed together and she whispered like the wind to a flower in spring, "Find her, protect her. Please. Promise me." And then she found her footing again and stood apologizing. 

"Stop," the booming voice of the First Kingsman stiffened their spines. "I'll take her from here, guard," he sneered. He never missed anything. But hopefully he hadn't seen her lips move in that brief moment. Gripping her other arm forcefully, the First Kingsman wrenched the prisoner from Cerin's grip. And maybe that was for the best. He couldn't bear to lead her to her death. 

The rain pounded on the wood planks of the gallows and thunder shook the scaffolding as the First Kingsman roughly escorted her onto the platform. Cerin watched, just another face in the crowd. Despite the poor weather, many townspeople and castle staff had gathered, but unlike most executions this one was silent but for the sounds of nature's protests. Somewhere in their hearts these people knew that this was wrong. Not that they had the courage to say anything. They were all too afraid. Of the King, his Men, and maybe even the woman who was about to die. 

I'm no better, Cerin thought as he stood in the silence, as glued to his spot as those around him. The First Kingsman jerked her to the rope, roughly toughing the noose over her head. All the while, she stared at Cerin, her eyes telling him things he didn't want to hear. Live for me, don't give up. You are precious and I love you. Don't give up just because I'm gone. And never blame yourself. It's not your fault. Find my daughter, keep her safe and live. Live, my boy. And then the floor was falling from beneath her feet and she was hanging limp, her vacant eyes still trained on him. 

Water dripped onto his lashes and he blinked, the scene morphing into a waterlogged forest. Now wasn't the time for day dreams, he had a promise to keep.

"The rain's letting up," Jared commented.

"Let's go," Cerin said quietly as they resumed their pursuit of the sun child. Hours passed, as Jared and Cerin silently followed Sam. And soon darkness began to fall over them. The storm and trees had made most of their day a dark grey, but as the sun disappeared beyond an invisible horizon, the world became darker yet. It wouldn't be long before they would have to make camp. Fortunately, the rain had been letting up more and more the past few hours.

Half an hour earlier they had run into a stream that had nearly become a river from all the rain. The girl had been cleaver, walking through the water to cover her tracks, but it had been a predictable move. They had followed the river-stream keeping an eye out for her exiting tracks and now as the light diminished quickly Sam spotted her exit. He had initially passed it, but Cerin and Jared had glanced at each other making note of the spot. Within a few steps Sam had backtracked and found her exit as well. It made Cerin proud as his mentor.

As Sam dismounted to double check his findings, and the hair on the back of Cerins neck prickled. Flicking his eyes to Jared, he scanned his body language, looking for any indication that he felt the same gaze Cerin felt. Jared's eyes slammed into his own. He definitely felt the same gaze. Boldly Cerin whipped his head up and stared in the direction of that gaze. There was nothing but trees, and then he saw the shadow, that small space of blackness where there shouldn't be any. 

They had known she had a Kingsman's cloak but he was impressed she knew how to use it. Not as well as a trained Kingsman but better than most. That bit of shadow was where her chin probably nestled. She hadn't pulled the hood low enough to hide all of the shadow that it cast her face in. At least she was smart enough not to move, that would have been an even bigger give away. 

Cerin lowered his head and flicked his eyes back to Jared. He had seen her too, but unlike Cerin he had done it without her knowledge. As Jared locked eyes with Cerin he gave him the that was reckless and stupid look. Yeah I know, Cerin rolled his eyes. Sam mounted his horse and Jared lead them back into the forest, away from their prey. 

While they could have stayed, surrounded the tree, and waited for her to try to come down to capture her, Jared had decided against it. Cerin didn't know why. Maybe it was because this was good practice for Sam, maybe it was due to the thrill of the hunt. While he didn't show it often, Cerin knew that Jared loved the hunt. Whatever the reason he was grateful. He needed the time his old friend had unwittingly provided him to conjure a plan. 



© 2018 Mariah Renae


Author's Note

Mariah Renae
Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed the read! The chapter is detailed, progresses well and answers the readers questions at the right moments.

I notice you have some repetitive words in certain paragraphs, see paragraph 4 "plain" as an example.

I am interested in learning more about this sun child and why these men are hunting her.

Great chapter!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mariah Renae

6 Years Ago

Thank you!

Sometimes I repeat words out of habit, but in the 'plain' case it was pur.. read more
Karen Redburn

6 Years Ago

You're welcome, and I do the same thing. This is your story and if you want to make a point then tha.. read more
Mariah Renae

6 Years Ago

I love that you were honest and wrote what came to you as you read. I find that to be the most helpf.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
1 Review
Added on January 29, 2018
Last Updated on January 29, 2018
Tags: adventure, chase, on the run, rain, forest, hide and seek, fear, search


Author

Mariah Renae
Mariah Renae

Albuquerque, NM



About
I am a college student majoring in Fine Arts. I discovered my passion for writing in my freshman year and now I can't imagine a life in which I don't carry a notebook in my purse at all times. I am so.. more..

Writing