Opening The Box

Opening The Box

A Stage Play by Marina Ignatyeva
"

This is an under developed, single scene play revolving around food. The character dynamic changes from the beginning to the end.

"

Opening The Box

 

DREW enters the garden, lost in thought, with a backpack on his shoulders. He walks towards the bench, almost on autopilot. He comes out of his reverie when he spots Mr. Popular, as he himself had dubbed ALEX in his head, taking the lunch spot that DREW had been using since the first day of school. DREW unceremoniously plops down onto the other end of the bench, and plops his backpack onto the bench, almost using it as a shield between himself and ALEX.

 

ALEX:

(Gruffly) Kid, this is my lunch spot! Get your scrawny underclassman butt out of here!

DREW:

(Calmly, but with a light smirk) First of all, I’ve been eating here since school started, and this is the first time I’ve seen your mug around here, so clearly this isn’t reserved. Secondly, (He pulls out a lunch box out of his backpack, setting the lunchbox onto the bench, and the backpack on the ground) I’m the only one eating here, making this MY lunch spot.

ALEX:

(Annoyed) Stop being a wise a*s and piss off. And I am eating! (As he pulls out a lunch box from his duffel bag)

DREW:

(Rolls his eyes) Sure you are. Because lunch boxes are soo delicious. (Starts pulling out Tupperware and bags filled with various food)

ALEX:

You seriously have a lot of nerve disrespecting a senior! I brought food too. (Starts pulling out food from his lunchbox too)

DREW:

(Huffs) I believe that everyone, including seniors, have to earn respect. An idiot who eats all kinds of unhealthy crap like yourself, and who cannot even recognize me from your Senior Chemistry class, clearly does not deserve it.

ALEX:

(With disbelief) I know everyone my year, but this is the first time I’ve met you. I don’t believe we have chem together. And pardon me that I’m not an organic health freak like you!

DREW:

I transferred to your school this year, and I look younger because I skipped a year. (Snorts) You would need to be awake in order to recognize someone. The sugar from your candy wears off; no wonder you always crash by 6th period.

ALEX:

I need the chocolate from the M&M’s to power me through classes and football practice. Which is more your bag of nuts could ever do!

DREW:

My nuts can’t do much for a whiny girl like you. Actually, the nuts not only give me energy, but they fill me enough so that I don’t get fat from over eating, Sir Packs-a-Lot.

ALEX:

(As he flexes his biceps) This is pure muscle, which my steak and potatoes help maintain. You should try it sometime, instead of munching on your salad-wrapped turkey pieces. Maybe then you wouldn’t be so scrawny.

DREW:

You clearly should be eating fish instead; you’re blind if you don’t see that I have lean muscles. Sorry to disappoint, Mr. Popular, but dancers don’t need to be ripped in order to be strong. And red meat and starch will cause you to die early from eating poorly. I am smart and eating white meat, which is healthy for you, mixed with fiber.

ALEX:

(Raises his eyebrows) Wah, you’re cheeky. First week of school, and you’re already insulting my lunch and my brains. What are you gonna insult next, my juice? And my name is Alex, not Mr. Popular.

DREW:

(Barely blushing for getting caught using the nickname) Nah, your brain again. Juice is incredibly sugary and is literally carbs in a cup. You REALLY don’t know how to take care of your body.

ALEX:

(With a slight grin) Enlighten me, oh Nerdy One. What should I be drinking?

DREW:

(Glaring) My name is Drew, and there’s nothing wrong with being further evolved than an egotistical Nethandral. And if you really want to know, have a sip (as he extends the arm with his thermos towards Alex)

ALEX:

(Takes a sip) This green tea is surprisingly good! The mint makes it refreshing. (Quietly) Just so you know, I’m here to escape the constant attention and idol worshipping from our schoolmates, so I’m not egotistical.

DREW:

(Looks briefly at his own lap) Oh. Well, I’m glad you liked the tea.

ALEX:

(Laughs) No worries. Ha, I finally get to see the Almightly Drew not acting snarky! Hmm, should I request that you make me lunch from now on, if it’s as good as your tea?

DREW:

I only cook for my friends! (Packs away the Tupperware and bags into the lunchbox)

ALEX:

(Feigning hurt) I thought we are friends! We ate lunch together, we talked, AND I let you abuse me!

DREW:

(Grabs his lunchbox and backpack, stands up and starts walking off stage. Before leaving the stage, he looks over his shoulder at ALEX with a mysterious smile) Perhaps I won’t let you die of malnutrition. We’ll see.

ALEX:

(Tosses everything into his duffel bag. Then sits back and relaxes on the bench, grinning in the direction DREW walked off stage) What an interesting box I opened. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s lunch.

© 2013 Marina Ignatyeva


Author's Note

Marina Ignatyeva
I realize the stage instructions are not always clear.

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on January 11, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2013

Author

Marina Ignatyeva
Marina Ignatyeva

Seattle, WA



About
I am an amateur dreamer. I usually write stories with already-established characters (aka fanfiction), but I want to move away from that and actually create something. more..

Writing