BEE MOVIE

BEE MOVIE

A Poem by Mark
"

Reflections on what my true role in Society may be...OR NOT!!

"
BEE MOVIE

(Please note, I called my poem this, WAY before those
other guys called their movie did!)

I am glad I'm not a Bee:
I would not EVER choose to be!
A life of Indolence, sweet,
Waited upon, all six feet;

Covetable, the life of a Drone,
UNTIL presented at the Throne
Given in Marriage, but no Prince, I�
FOR THEN I DIE!!

And as I draw my last bee-breath,
Pondering my ignominious death,
I think, "How appropriate that sex is all:
"My only function, and my downfall!"

Of all Earth's species, Humans alone
Allow their males to pretend to the throne;
How tougher, then, for the human male,
Since EVERY female has a sting in her tail!

Methinks my playacting they're tolerating
'Til I fulfill my procreating,
Thence, into slow, purposeless death to fall:
WAIT! It seems I'm only a drone after all!

October 22, 1988

© 2009 Mark


Author's Note

Mark
My sincere apologies to previous reviewers. I had been trying without success for over an hour to get this offering to publish properly, without underscore, boldface, et al, until finally I had to delete the entire thing and start over; regrettably, the reviews went with it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Mark,

Ah, the war of the sexes! Oh the poor drone. This gives "love 'em and leave 'em" a whole new meaning.

This piece made me think immediately of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew" and the exchange between Petruchio and Katherine in the first scene of Act 2:

PETRUCHIO
Come, come, you wasp. I' faith, you are too angry.

KATHERINE
If I be waspish, best beware my sting.

PETRUCHIO
My remedy is then to pluck it out.

KATHERINE
Ay, if the fool could find it where it lies.

PETRUCHIO
Who knows not where a wasp does wear his sting?
In his tail.

Again, a very nice piece, Mark. Who has the upper hand? In the Bee kingdom, it is certainly not the drone. But who is it in the world of men? That's not so obvious. Perhaps we men are pure puppets of the ladies. Perhaps we are, as you suggest, only drones.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Now, now, boys! We have, yet, to have eaten one of you alive, as the praying mantis or the black widow. I must admit that human males and females are as different as day and night; however, we look up to your strength, but with us we try to make you weak. Wonderful write!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Lol, this painted a wonderful and funny picture in my mind. Almost as unfortunate as the Preying Mantice!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is imagination at its best. ^^* This poem was fun and yet compelling in way of style and verse.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have a refreshingly unique sense of humor. The world needs more humor. When we take ourselves too seriously we miss a lot. Another remarkable poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


A drone or NOT! We know that you are a poet. It is my belief that all poets leave the world a better place. This was a delight to read...Smiles M.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I must say this is much better than the movie, haha. This was very interesting and amusing. Indeed, it is a woman's world and we are just lucky enough to be living here. Great write as always!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I concur with all my female reviewers. ;)

Very amusing, Mark.

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mark,
This is a witty, catchy read. Hmm, the male Bee, well he's a lucky little bugger isn't he? You captured something here that is so relevent to "real life". I thoroughly enjoyed this lite read before I go off to make my way in the world. Male Bee-less..LOL.. Thanks for a great write.

Lynne

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Mark do bee realistic here! I notice you expound upon the life of the queen and the drones... but fail to mention that those females with the stingers are the ones doing all of the work to keep the colony going! I know the only times I sting are when I'm exhausted at the end of a long busy 12-hour work day and come home to find the same dishes in the sink, nothing for dinner, and my BF napping in front of the telly... probably a good reason I'm on my own again, LOL. Some of us are not meant to be hive creatures I fear!

Hopefully you've found since 1988 (Holy hell I was in 3rd grade suffering through Michael Jackson!) that some females have tempered the sting a bit (we do reserve it for special occasions and people, though) and that there is more for a male to contribute to life than procreation and death! Some of us even intend to keep one or two of you around into old age... if we can find one we don;t want to shoot outright, that is! I'd tolerate a lot of playacting for some help in the kitchen and a kind word sometimes.

All kidding aside, I enjoyed this thoroughly. The tone was delightfully sardonic and witty, and a perfect break from morning chores. I will smile today when I'm outside watching a bee collect its harvest as I start mine (sunflowers and grains are ready to be cut and brought in!) Thanks for the smile this morning!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hey, I've seen a lot of human drones who like to sit back and let the females do all the work while they live only for mating, but eventually they meet their match too. I was always a mere worker bee but now I sit in my motorized throne just dreaming of a brave, unconventional drone. LOL This is such a delightful read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

452 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 18, 2009
Last Updated on August 18, 2009

Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..