Delilah

Delilah

A Story by Martha Gilleece
"

On today's events and putting my pet cat to sleep.

"
Death has and will touch everyone in someway throughout his or her journey. Whether it is the passing of a loved one or a pet or even a personal greeting. It’s hard to talk about such a sensitive subject as to not offend anyone with personal beliefs but on the other hand, how can you not be curious about such things.

I was awoken this morning by a neighbor banging on my door who found one of our cats on the side of the road, still breathing but losing consciousness. We all rushed her to vet in good hopes but received nothing but heartbreaking news. She had spinal cord injuries along with obvious brain damage. Her legs and tail were completely paralyzed, the only thing she was able to move was her neck. She was suffering. Our options were very limited and with the vet’s advice it seemed there was only one solution, which didn’t sit well for me but at that time I had to put my selfish reasoning aside and think about what was best for my sweet pet.

My tears were gliding down one by one, as if each time a memory with my kitty passed through my mind  a single tear would fall. The vet said we could have a couple minutes to pet her and love on her before her fate. Even with the tremendous amount of pain the poor creature was in while we were petting her, her purrs could be heard over a mile away. We left very soon after our arrival with one less heartbeat than we came with.

Delilah, my kitty, was the fourth cat this year that has been hit by car and left to die on my block alone. We suspect that the same driver caused each fatality. Picture it, the typical south Florida stereotype, young, spoiled, money, fast cars, not a care in the world. I understand that no one would want to admit, let alone take responsibility for, such a horrible thing but what other option do you have? I would not want that much karma following me around, especially being that careless. We have a lot of young children on our street as well and though parents are always present there is very few, if any, yard space separating the street and the properties. What is going to happen when he looks down at his phone for an instant or blinks while switching gears and accidently hits a person instead of an animal? Try getting away with that one.

Though the vet was such a kind lady and had genuine compassion for the animals and owners, the words about putting my sweet to sleep slid from her mouth way too easily. To take a life, even if it the best and only option, means that a living, breathing creature, human or not, will no longer be able to experience sunlight or a good meal or the warmth that invades when a loved one expresses similar emotion. I think many of us underestimate what death actually is. He could be your neighbor or a freak stranger that is lurking down an alleyway. Our doubts, our fears, and our bad decisions are what powers him to keep going and that power is undefeatable. When he decides that it’s time to introduce himself to you even the strongest ones are helpless beneath him. He can cause such pain and heartache but nothing else out there has the ability to bring that much hurt. And that must mean something.

My point is there is no need to go searching, he will one day make his presence known. No matter how much you try and hide and to forget, death will find you and when he finally does, don’t hide any longer, instead close your eyes and embrace him with your open heart. He will acknowledge the kindness and make sure that your soul goes on to another universe. His intentions are never harmful. My sweet kitty was holding on so tight even though death was in next room, waiting. He knew the time was near and didn’t want her to feel the pain any longer, he just needed me to be the messenger and that’s what I did. 

© 2012 Martha Gilleece


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your writing is outstanding.

Yes indeed, death will visit us all, and so I've discovered, much more frequently as we grow older. My oldest sister died of cancer this last February, but not before fighting like hell and hanging on much longer than anyone could believe. Her reason to put up such a fight? I think it was concern for her cats, and not wanting to leave them to uncertain fates. I'll bet you can relate.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zainul

11 Years Ago

This is really a painful event for a father.
I pray for the eternal peace of your daughter.read more



Reviews

This story really got to me; I adore each and every one of my three cats (I hope to have more). It'll be a sad day for me when one of them pass. Loved.

Posted 11 Years Ago


That final word to proceed has got to be one of the toughest moments in a pet owners life. This piece carries the emotions and anger, spurned by why it had come to this in the first place. In the end your words carry a fundamental truth, death comes to us all and the best thing we can do is make it as easy for those that are hurting as possible. May your cat find peace chasing mice in the great barn in the heavens.

Fantastic writing in this.
Aaron

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very tragic and painful event of your life.
I don't have right words to console you.
I have seen my son to weep for the lovebirds which died one after one in our home.
He buried them and wept frequently whenever he remembered the events.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your writing is outstanding.

Yes indeed, death will visit us all, and so I've discovered, much more frequently as we grow older. My oldest sister died of cancer this last February, but not before fighting like hell and hanging on much longer than anyone could believe. Her reason to put up such a fight? I think it was concern for her cats, and not wanting to leave them to uncertain fates. I'll bet you can relate.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

zainul

11 Years Ago

This is really a painful event for a father.
I pray for the eternal peace of your daughter.read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

422 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 11, 2012
Last Updated on July 11, 2012
Tags: prose, death, sadness

Author

Martha Gilleece
Martha Gilleece

Brooklyn , NY



About
"New York I love you, but you're bringing me down" more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heat Heat

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5