Chapter II - Metal

Chapter II - Metal

A Chapter by Mason Red
"

Stephen wakes up in a hallway, trying to figure out his situation.

"

CHAPTER II - METAL



Stephen’s eyes hurt, as if they were inflamed, or awakened from a very deep, unsatisfied sleep. But it was that he was trying to open his eyes that hurt. All was white, blinding white - surrealistic white. Even brighter than the lights of the pick-up truck driving towards him before, he thought as he tried to cope with the pain.

He tried rubbing them, closing them shut, holding them tight, and then releasing them. And it would make the pain go away for a few seconds, but it returned. Only after mere minutes, the pain and blur in front of him seemed to fade. And he stared into four pairs of eyes right in front of him that seemed a thousand times more shocked than he was confused.


‘What?’ Stephen just thought as feelings of redundant exposure rose.


Stephen shook his head to clear his vision. They were three guys and one girl - barely adults. They looked beaten up from a fight or something, showing sores, small traces of blood on their face and some ripped clothing. One of the guys was most conspicuous, for his eyes went all over the place, looking Stephen right in the eyes, then down, then straight to Stephen’s stomach, and then swiftly gazed away, only to repeat the same exact routine again.


Stephen’s gaze went around. The four figures were sitting on a wooden bench, just as the one Stephen was sitting on. They were in the middle of what seemed to be a hall. There was an old lady in a crème night dress at the far right, seemingly asleep, but mostly her pose stood out. It’s the kind of pose you leave when you fall asleep s**t-faced drunk - legs spread, back against the wall, head bend slightly to the left and your hands laid to rest far away from your body. The image shocked Stephen a little. It wasn’t pretty. Not even close.


The room seemed to be made out of perfect marble. Despite the stinging headache that rose, he leaned down to touch the ground. ‘As smooth as marble, yes,’ Stephen remarked. Every bench was the same; dark brown oaken and with grooves. Each one had a green-leaved plant at its right side, every single one. It all seemed out of place.

The hopping foot of the conspicuous fellow right in front of Stephen distracted him.


“Excuse me, young man?” Stephen asked.


He looked away. The others looked down, minding their own business.


“Hello?” Stephen repeated somewhat louder. The old lady released a loud snort, coming from the deepest corner of her nasal cavity.


He left it be, but neither the snort nor the vague individuals in front of him put his mind at ease.


Stephen returned to his eyes, rubbing them harder than before to get rid of that nasty feeling he’d felt since the pain went away - there was a sore spot under his left eye he discovered. Stephen thought back at the accident; the pick-up truck impacted from the left - it must have been the collision.


There was a door to the far left. It had a clock above it, Stephen noticed. It was 8 AM. He peeked back to the old lady, whose pose hadn’t changed in the meantime. There was another door next to the old lady - it was blue colored which stood out against all the white. The door said ‘women’. Another door opposing it said ‘men’.


‘A little time alone seems good right now,’ Stephen thought. ‘Not in some weird way, really,’ he felt the need to convince his subconscious. He just wanted to get away from these freaks for a minute. He had the dire urge to splash some water in his face, trying to wake up - trying to really cope what had been happening. He stood up and walked.


Stephen entered the bathroom in peace, his mind free to wonder. His hand reached for a light switch, as he was used to doing, but there wasn’t any. It wasn’t needed too; the bathroom was just as bright as the room he came from. He looked up. There wasn’t even a light bulb. And all of a sudden he wasn’t happy anymore that his mind was free to wonder.


Another thing that caught Stephen’s attention; there wasn’t a toilet. Like, none at all - no toilet. And he started to doubt whether he entered the right room. There was a sink, though. One with a huge long mirror above it and stretching out until next to the sink, going all the way down. It was now that Stephen saw, there was really something wrong.


He stared at a pair of glassy and red eyes, the left one surrounded by darkness. ‘Ah, now that’s what hurt…’ There were scratches and bruises, nothing out of the ordinary. After what he and Roxanne had been through it seemed just pure dumb luck really.


‘Roxanne!’ he suddenly thought. ‘God, would she be okay?’ He put his hands to his mouth as the stress kicked in. And a sudden twinge rose in his side and caught his attention.


Stephen’s mouth dropped. He couldn’t believe what he had just noticed. It went hand-in-hand with the pain, so it must have been real. But only utter ‘what the f**k?!’ he thought. He stepped forward to the mirror and gave the situation a better look. It was large, sharp and it looked like just another scene from the Saw series, given its disturbing color and alarming severity. The metal plate, whatever it had come from, had made its way deep into his body, leaving a load of dried up blood on it. He tried to touch it; it was okay. He tried getting it out with a jerk, but it was stuck hard and hurt so bad that tears exploded from his (already) torn up eyes.


“F**k,” he actually said out loud with a hint of a groan. Stephen wasn’t the one for lonely monologues at all. He rested his arms on the sink, looking in the mirror. ‘This isn’t real. Why am I not in the ER?’ He was panting from the pain the object had caused, but soon it rested like a victorious foe. And like the defeated party, Stephen tried to lick his wounds - not literally, though. He splashed some water in his face. It felt good to feel something cold. He drank some too, since his throat had gone dry badly. He looked up but didn’t look much better. More awake, maybe, but his eyes could tell he was in debate - the thoughts of ignorance made him angry, as always.

 

 

Stephen walked back out of the bathroom again, full of energy by his recent trauma, stood in the middle of the isle, next to the old lady who woke up by his sudden present energy - eyes wide open.

“What the f**k, is going on?!”


The room remained silent, but all eyes were upon him.


“Yes, I know you saw it! Don’t pretend you didn’t!” Stephen pointed at the group of four.


He sighed. Some old tendency from his job emerged in him - being a production manager at a set of an independent television-studio. It was that feeling when one of his interns fucked something up real stupid, and it was obviously showing. And a decent face-palm was never left out.


“Okay,” he proceeded calmly and took a moment. “Listen up, I have a piece of f*****g metal in my f*****g side and I’m not even f*****g bleeding anymore. Can someone, please tell me, what the f**k is wrong with me?” He said, laying out his hand in front of him as if he was presenting a hand of (actual) nuts.


The old lady collapsed back to sleep with a snore, but one of the fantastic four lifted his head. It was a blonde guy - a football player maybe, he had the looks for it, and the posture.


“Dude, I have no idea,” he threw a smile as if he was in pain. “Just…” he paused for a second. “Sit down and I guess they’ll help you soon.”

“How long have you guys been here?” Stephen asked them. The hall looked like hospital waiting room, maybe, but it was odd. For one, there was no real bathroom.

“Couple of hours, I think,” the football player said. His voice was deep and somewhat mocking.


“Did you guys walk in? Were you brought in by an ambulance or something?” Stephen was desperate for some info.


“No, we all woke up here. Mrs. Snore was already in,” he laughed a little retarded, poking his buddy in the side, the most silent of all (not the conspicuous one). Stephen hadn’t really noticed him until now. The guy had black hair, his skin was pale and his eyes seemed deep, surrounded by red flesh, like a demon ready to stare into one’s soul. He barely responded to the poke. He just threw a subtle smile as his eyes remained focused on the floor, for whatever reason.


Stephen still felt uncomfortable. He had always been inpatient in his own way. He could sit for hours, but he had to know it was good for something. If he didn’t know what would happen, the thought that he wasn’t in control over the situation, he would grow anxious. Stephen stumbled back to his bench and rested his back against the wall, trying to let everybody know he wasn’t happy by putting as much sound into his actions as possible - sighs, moans and bangs, but nobody cared.


His mind returned to wonder again. ‘Roxanne!’ he thought again and also stated to himself he shouldn’t forget about his “lovely” wife all the time. He felt like the headache, sore eyes, and above all, that the piece of metal sticking out of his side weren’t an excuse to keep forgetting. He wondered where she would be. Maybe the doctors were already looking at her. Maybe she needed immediate surgery. ‘Oh man, I hope she’s okay.’ Would she be in even worse shape than Stephen even was? ‘I mean, I’m still walking.’


The conversation had thrown some light on the four in front of him, but Stephen still was unsure about what exactly was going on. He had been in a hospital before. The waiting rooms were crowded. There were doctors running around. Nothing like this. Maybe they brought them into one of them private clinics more up in the Hills, where the rich could enjoy their doctor’s visits without having to converse with the working class, and maybe didn’t need a toilet? Maybe there wasn’t any room anymore in the bigger hospitals? Stephen could only guess. It could explain why Roxanne wasn’t there with him, though.


He started to ache about the whole night, especially the fight. ‘She didn’t deserve that,’ he told himself. He started to think maybe he’d been too hard on her this whole time - for years. That maybe she was a little bit right. They’d both been stubborn ones without doubt. They both would never yield. It had never been a problem before they moved into the Hollywood Hills. They were just the same. Broke, horny, but most of all; there to rebel. And it had worked. But as time passed, they started to make up their own lives where they could. And they wouldn’t diverge for one another.


‘Maybe I should have grown up a little bit more,’ he thought. There was just so much left to leave behind, he felt like. They were at the top of the mountain, in the penthouse of the world - with the royals of fame. Why settle for something tame when there is so much reason around to be wild? Wild ‘n free; once their motto, now supposedly his only dream. And the feeling emerged to him that it was actually pathetic. It was just childish really.


Were there other things Stephen might have done wrong? Maybe too much. Well, for one, he had been screaming at these folks right here, who actually were there under the same circumstances as him. And a feeling of guild came up in Stephen, as he thought of it.


“So, what happened to you, guys?” Stephen asked calmly after feeling selfish for putting his own problems first. He thought about how they also had been through some hell of a night, reading their appearance and mood. Not even to mention the old lady who looked like a class A hobo, whatever her story was.


“Car accident. Got pretty beaten up. Some a*****e drove through a red light,” the football player answered. He looked like the one to make decisions. He had charisma. He was used to speaking, Stephen could tell. But it was also showing he wasn’t in the mood. He looked tired. Indeed, beaten up.


“Yeah, I can relate. Me too. I was driving on Sun Set Boulevard when I got hit by a pick-up truck. Or an SUV. Something like it - something heavy for sure. Can’t remember anything after that,” Stephen’s mind wondered as he tried to remember anything, but it was hard on him. It was dark, there were a lot of lights, and most off all; he was distracted. Nothing struck him. Only those two brights coming to get him.


Stephen caught the football player’s eyes again, but something had changed. Something made him interested about what Stephen was telling.


“I think it was a red car that came up to me, I couldn’t see clearly. Its headlights were blinding me. I thought-”


“It was a red light you stupid f**k! Not a red car, a red light! What are you, blind?!” The football player suddenly yelled. And he stood up. The others were suddenly more awake too. “Of course, it’s so obvious!”


‘Something red flashed,’ Stephen suddenly remembered. It had all been so intense. The fight, the lights - the night. He must have missed it. And his heart shot into his throat as though an apple was stuck in there, and he ached. He had never wanted to hurt somebody. He thought he was the victim in this situation. The pick-up truck looked almost twice the size of his Volvo as it speeded towards him, he could recall. But as he looked into the football player’s eyes he grew scared.


“Wow, hold on now. Are you sure it was me?” Stephen calmly stood up too, trying to find high ground to get some grip “I mean,” Stephen almost chuckled now as he tried to find some comfort while standing up. “Sun Set Boulevard is a long road…”


“Sun Set Boulevard, West Hollywood, are you f*****g kidding me?! This is not a victim convention. We’re just here because we were in the same f*****g accident! And you caused it!”


“What?!” The girl on the bench all of sudden joined the football player.


“Okay, okay. Now, calm down. I’m sure we can fix this. I was-”


The girl on the bench now also jumped up.


“Well, you really fucked us over didn’t you? Now my dad is going to find out and I’ll be grounded until next year! I was supposed to be at home watching my stupid brother. Thanks, you’re a f*****g idiot!” She started yelling. Stephen quickly reconciled that this was the second time in supposedly twenty-four hours that someone had called him an idiot. He gazed over to the conspicuous guy, still on the bench. He didn’t seem the type to get angry at all, but even his eyes blazed red at the moment. The other guy, he just stayed silent as if he knew he’d win in the end - gazing almost hypnotizing. Maybe there was even a smile, Stephen couldn’t be sure.


“Babe, sit down,” the football player commanded.


“No! What, you’re not going to be a p***y about this, are you?” She threw him a look like she couldn’t believe him. “Sir, can we exchange insurance details?” She sarcastically asked her boyfriend high-pitched while pretending to be as innocent and sweet as she could, lifting one heel high into the air. “I could have f*****g died right there! Are you kidding?!”


“Babe, sit down! I will handle this.”


Stephen tried to conquer some ground.


“Well, shouldn’t you have taken care of your little brother then instead of going out like a spoiled teenager?”


“Shut up!” the football player and the girl yelled at the same time and Stephen backed out, raising his hands as though he surrendered.


“Okay, okay, I get it. I’ve got money, though. I’m sure we can figure something out.”


“It’s not about the money, you freak. Can’t you see my face?! Can’t you see my girlfriend’s face?!”


“Hey!” the girlfriend shouted. The football player turned her a gaze that said; ‘not now’ and then returned. He sighed deep for a full second.

“I had a commercial planned for tomorrow, you know?”


Stephen didn’t see this one coming, and wanted to face-palm himself again. He’d met a popular guy, he was pretty sure. But a commercial? An actor? Then he remembered he was still in Hollywood and anything was possible. Everyone grabs anything that can get them further ahead. And in today’s world, everybody just wants to get all the way there - no matter the cost.


“-You think you can fix that, huh? Because I don’t think so! These bruises are visible through ten layers of foundation! Do you know how hard I had to work to get where I was?! All for nothing! They just drop you at this stage!”


Then in a split second, he turned around. He released a loud roar, grabbed the plant next to the bench and threw it across the hall, ending in the middle of the isle, next to the old lady who didn’t give a single response and was now smiling as she was far gone. The pot broke, mud slid over the perfect white marble floor and the green leaves caressed the smooth surface. And then nothing. It was all gone - vanished. Dropped right through the floor as if it didn’t happen.


They all just watched the empty white marble floor there with their mouths wide open, and one of them wasn’t even awake. ‘This is not real,’ Stephen repeated in his head, but this time also saying it out loud - not even thinking. It had turned dead quiet in the hall after the intrusive sound of the pot breaking. Then Stephen noticed something green in the corner of his eyes and he couldn’t believe it. The green-leaved plant he’d just watched flying through the hall in slow-motion was there again. Just sitting there. As if nothing happened!


Stephen and the football player looked each other in the eye, exchanging confusion - telling each other utter ‘what the f**k just happened’ through some weird connection constructed out of mimicry.

Then the door underneath the clock opened and everybody turned to look. An older guy, probably in his sixties and in a neat brown suit walked out. He had sky white hair, a beard and wore glasses - perfectly round ones. He posed relaxed, putting his fighters together as though he was praying, but his eyes were wide open - inquiring.


“Stephen Doyll?” he asked full of grace.


“Present,” Stephen replied fast and dry. “Right here,” putting up his hand in the middle of the crowd as he slowly walked up towards the man.

 

“You can come in now,” the man said, gesturing towards the door and stood there patiently waiting.


‘Thanks doc,’ Stephen thought, but wouldn’t say it out loud. ‘Just one more minute and the football player would have mashed in my head.’ Stephen gladly followed the guy’s forthcoming directions and walk past his savior.


“This is not over, yet,” the football player reminded him. Stephen didn’t look back. He thought it would be better to keep on walking. Maybe he could sneak out later, leave a note for him with his insurance details and be done with it, hereby averting an angry fist to his already blue eye.


Stephen walked through the door, only to come towards more white and weirdness.




© 2017 Mason Red


Author's Note

Mason Red
It's raw, very raw, but I felt like sharing it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on March 8, 2017
Last Updated on March 8, 2017
Tags: hallway, metal, confusion


Author

Mason Red
Mason Red

Netherlands



Writing
Bye Bye

A Poem by Mason Red


My song My song

A Poem by Mason Red