"Birds in an Aquarium"

"Birds in an Aquarium"

A Story by mattbandstra

PERSON #1: I DON’T BELONG HERE
Four letters are written with one shaking finger. “HELP”, written in the fog created by his stale breaths. His nose is pressed against the glass to the right of the word. (His right, the left to the rest of the world). He is watching the world from the outside. It’s soaring on and on through the stars, spinning around and around on its axis. He stares at the blur of the passersby. He sees the smiles but can’t hear the laughter. And from the deepest part of his chest to the farthest reaches of his mind, he hates it. He hates the glass. He hates the separation. “I don’t belong here.”

PERSON #2: WAITING TO STOP WAITING
“I’m well aware that nothing stays the same, but the cycle should start again soon; things can hurry up and change about anytime now.” There is someone in front of her and there is someone behind her. And there are a few more someones in front of the someone in front of here and there are a few other someones behind the someone that’s behind her. Everyone has their chance. She has been trying, dying, hoping, praying, waiting. The line isn’t moving. (“But we all are, in essence, moving.”) She has not seen the beginning of the line, but she has heard what it is like. She’s heard one word, four letters: “LIFE”. “Maybe then I won’t have to wait. But for now, I’ll be here, waiting, still the same.” Waiting to stop waiting.

© 2010 mattbandstra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i think its cool how the poem can be read from the 2nd stanza to the first or the first to the second. i notice these things. i really liked this poem. very emotional and strong.

-deadly healer

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very nice...keep it up...

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 12, 2010
Last Updated on February 12, 2010