Superstition

Superstition

A Story by Mayur Sadhu

"Stop stop stop!", Ritesh shouted out, forcing me put my force on the brake pedal.
The car screeched down the lane, and finally came to rest after running an extra metre, blowing out the dry dust covering the upper strata of the native lane.
"What the f**k! What has happened that made you screamed out?", I asked, irritated with his sudden explosion of 'stop's.
"A black cat has just crossed the road.", he answered, pointing to the cat sitting plainly on the other side of the road, starring at us, as if we had infiltrated into his territory.
"So what?", I freaked out by his senseless talks.
"Halt your car for a minute, or wait till someone crosses the road before the road, before you!", he responded.
"Are you nuts! We are living in the twentieth century, and you are still lagging behind in the eighteenth with these illogical believes.", I was frustrated.
 How can a science student believe in these sort of things? How can he still believe in superstition?
"You must have faith on these things. Even not all the time, but still, you got to maintain them, once in a blue monn!"
"Okay, but not now. We are already late for our function!", I said, and started the growling sound of the car's engine.
"Wait for a minute or so!", he begged.
"No!  We are already late!", I repeated, and reminded him about our destination, and the pre estimated time. I put the car on gear, and vroomed off.
Ritesh continued his buzzing around my ears, projecting all the negative impacts we might face for not maintaining our superstition ritual.
"We will die!", he murmured to himself. His illogical exaggeration of the negative impacts, had filled the atmosphere inside the car with strong negative vibes, which in turn has started showing its effect on me.
I had started doubting myself - have I done the right job by not waiting for someone else to cross before me, should I have waited for some more time. An array of questions were running on my mind, when my ear drums were beaten by a loud sound wave - BOOM.
"What the f**k! What has happened? We are going to die.", Ritesh freaked out, with that sound, when simultaneously our car came ta a halt too.
"Oh shut up! Let me see what has happened!", I shouted, and got down the car.
"S**t!", I responded at the sight. A flat tyre.
"I told you to stop there..... Now we are in a deserted street..... There is no one to help us! Anything can happen here.", he shouted at me, cursing me for my deed of unruliness. I looked out of the cause of a flat tyre, but the road was clear. There wasn't anything.
"We have another tyre ready!", I said, trying to stop his exaggeration.
I rolled out the new tyre, and changed the flat one. Ritesh was right. There was no one in the visibility range. We were surrounded by  farm lands, dust, and shaded by blue sky, scorching us with sun's heat.

"So, we have finally reached!", I rejoiced on reaching our destination, after such a hectic journey, and bearing all the stuffs related to superstition from Ritesh.
"Look at the watch! We are late by an hour! I told you to stop there", he shouted, recalling the event.
I too checked the time. We are late.
I was left in dilemma, as I wanted an answer. Why are we late? Whether it was because that I didn't went by the superstition, or it was because of the flat tyre?

© 2013 Mayur Sadhu


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

One of my greatest peeves is being late. I can't stand being late even a minute after. It's completely embbarsing for me to be late. Amazing write though! =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Does believing in something make it better? It didn't prevent a flat tyre. Perhaps the proper perspective is to create an anticipation.

Posted 11 Years Ago


the plot is a good one but your trial has gone in vain. you have tried hard to raise the english but you have stretched the sentences so long that a feeling comes that when will the sentence end. Your choice of words is down. try reading stories of world famous authors. but to please you i must say that it is a great piece of art.

Posted 11 Years Ago


i would simply like to say u have respected the simplicity of human nature..........but it is less like a story and more of a descriptive event!
and moreover the plot of this story should have been concluded in a much comprehensive and relishing manner!
and yes, it is just my opinion!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is alright, but I'd really suggest going back over this to make sure you avoid passivity and stiltedness. Currently, some of your word choice is very, very odd and distracts the reader from the story, which isn't what you want to be doing, and it's especially a shame because your concept is interesting and there's definitely a lot you can do with it.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2013
Last Updated on February 27, 2013
Tags: superstition

Author

Mayur Sadhu
Mayur Sadhu

Burdwan, Hinduism, India



About
Myself Mayur Sadhu, more likely Mayur aka Rimo, as my friends prefer to call me. By profession I am no one, but by a person I am an engineering student. Love today like you will die tomorrow... more..

Writing
Fail Story Fail Story

A Story by Mayur Sadhu


Rain Rain

A Story by Mayur Sadhu


Last Night Last Night

A Story by Mayur Sadhu



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I Love You I Love You

A Poem by Jynx