That Lady Walking By

That Lady Walking By

A Story by Jacob Baked
"

Pass the ketchup

"
I feel sorry for her.  Old age had caught up to the woman, like it will the rest of us.  She seems lonely.  Her hair is scraggly, hanging in white strings over her eyes and down her back.  She is slouched over a walker, doubling as a cart to carry her groceries.  You can see the outline her spine protruding from her decaying sweater.  I lose her around the corner, but a few long, youthful strides put me right behind her; she's not going anywhere fast.  She doesn't seem equipped to drive, but it would be criminal for her to walk any further.  She is sitting on the edge of a flower bed, leaning on that walker with one hand.  She slowly rises and takes a few steps.  The walker's wheels get stuck in a crack and she struggles vainly with it.  Her hair is recently adjusted, no longer blocking her view, but pulled back behind her ears, the way she must have worn it when she was younger.  Freeing herself from the sidewalk, she once again begins the task of walking, each painful step casting a few more clumps of hair back in front of her eyes.

© 2016 Jacob Baked


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Very beautiful and lonely words. Her personality it s like my soul. You made it well. This mood and feelings they are real and beautiful. Sometimes i spend days like this just walk and enjoy beauty of the day. well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is an interesting descriptive paragraph but I don't see a story here with a beginning, middle and end. I kept looking for what happens next.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 23, 2016
Last Updated on August 23, 2016

Author

Jacob Baked
Jacob Baked

San Francisco, CA



About
I'm a sucker for good poetry and blondes. more..

Writing