Unlike Most Children

Unlike Most Children

A Story by Maya Dow
"

I wrote this yesterday, I was feeling quite morbid. I love incorporating irony into my stories and I think that this story used irony well.

"
It was a quiet morning in the Scott household; no one was awake yet. The only noise to be heard was the gentle hiss of a leaky radiator. As the sun came up, as it does every morning, the youngest Scott child, Amelia, began to stir. She threw back her covers and jumped out of bed. The young ten year old was eager to start the day. Unfortunately, no one else was. She ran from room to room; she knocked on each door. Her knocking was met with impatient demands from her sister to “go away.”Amelia heard the remark; thus dampening her once-so-eager mood. However, evil Amelia got an idea. She snuck into her sleeping-sister’s room and stole a bottle from her desk. Amelia examined the bottle of pills; they were small and blue. The label was too small for Amelia to read; therefore she got her magnifying glass and took a closer look.

        Prescribed to: Jessica Scott
        Refill number#: 9389024
        Prescription: Prozac Oral Tablet 50 milligrams
        Take one a day; do NOT miss a day.
        Warning: If dosage is missed, symptoms will occur

    Amelia, since she was only ten years old, did not understand the implications that occurred when her sister missed a dose of her anti-anxiety medication; however, she did not care. Amelia threw the bottle in the trash and waited for the family to wake. For what seemed like hours, Amelia sat watching TV. Her peaceful morning was broken when her sister erupted in screams; she noticed the missing pill bottle. Jessica began to frantically search her room for the pills. She checked under her bed; she checked under her desk. She tore her room apart, but was unable to find her medicine. Amelia's parents were woken by the fracas that Jessica was making. Their mother, Kelly, was trying to console Jessica, but it was too late. Jessica had a panic attack because she could not find her anti-anxiety medication.
    Amelia sat in the living room as the rest of her family was searching for the lost pills; Amelia was entertained. Although Amelia was too young to recognize the irony of the situation, she was still amused. Her mother asked if she knew where Jessica’s pills were; Amelia feigned cluelessness. Her father asked her to come help look; she feigned a headache. Jessica accused her of taking them; Amelia once again, feigned innocence. Jessica burst into tears once more and began to hyperventilate. Kelly comforted Jessica and she began to calm down. It took a tremendous effort for Amelia not to smile at the sight of her sister gasping for air. Most children would feel remorse after causing their sibling to have a panic attack; however, Amelia is not like most children.

© 2013 Maya Dow


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the story a lot. I just wish it was longer, because I wanted to keep reading it.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 13, 2013
Last Updated on February 13, 2013
Tags: irony, realistic fiction

Author

Maya Dow
Maya Dow

West Rutland, VT



About
I am a sophomore in high school in a small town in Vermont. I want people to read and comment on my writing. I write everything from poems, to short stories, to essays. Feel free to leave your input!!.. more..

Writing
The Time The Time

A Poem by Maya Dow