One

One

A Chapter by Mark Best

 

The world is full of the unexplained and the unknown, the natural and the supernatural. On this earth two different worlds exist, the known natural world as it is called by mortal man, and the little known supernatural world which many mortals refuse to believe exists. In this supernatural world, this underworld, everything from vampires to werewolves and shape shifters to demons so vile that it they are almost impossible to describe with words exist. I was once blind to this world as well, except what I knew from movies and books, which while I might add that when they say that all myths have some truth to them they aren’t lying, but the movies and book, especially Twilight, got it way wrong.

Now before I go rambling on anymore I suppose I should introduce myself. My name is Mark Rychert, I’m about five foot six, and I have short dark brown hair that is usually spiked up and dark brown eyes. I’m from a smaller town, Jefferson, Ohio, which you may or may not have heard of. More than likely the may not, so I’ll let you know that if you look on the map of Ohio, find Cleveland, trace Interstate 90 east until you reach Ashtabula, and then follow route 11 south until you hit Jefferson. Then again it might not even be on the map. All and all I’m pretty average and was a fairly average teenage, nothing special. I know, not impressive at all, so if you were looking for the perfect tall dark and handsome, lovable monster to fall in love with type story, go pick up the Twilight garbage. However, if you want a story full of darkness, evil, and real monsters, then you’ve come to the right place.

I want to say enough about me, let’s get to the story, but I need to set it up first and to do that I need to tell you a little bit about myself. I won’t lie I wasn’t anything special in school, I wasn’t an athlete, or student body anything, or even one of the 4.0 kids. Like all of my friends I just existed and tried to make it through day. I was a bit of a nerd. My friends and I spent a lot of time reading comic books and playing video games and, like any teenage of the last decade, lived on Facebook. I loved to write, so as you can imagine blogging was one of my favorite things. My blogs were usually horror stories or poems about girls who didn’t even know I existed. I also drew my own comics and a lot of the art work even ended up on my Facebook page.  

Well now that you know me a little better, now it's time to tell you my story in full up to date which not one person has yet heard. It all started in early June of 2010; I had just graduated from high school and was taking the following summer lightly because I figured it would be my last summer to take it easy for a very long, long time. I was spending my days with my friends going swimming and just hanging out. My evenings were spent working at a fast food restaurant and on late nights I would relax by posting my art work and poems on the internet. This particular late night was going to be just like any other, at least that's what I thought. I was on the net doing the usual, talking to miscellaneous people via yahoo messenger and Facebook. Okay, I was flirting with girls, but hey a guy has to get his action somewhere and I was shy and had a hard time talking to girls I was interested in face-to-face. Anyway, that was when I received a rather strange instant message.

"Hello, I have heard your cries of agony, child, all of our world has, they have reached up to the heavens and because of them I have sought you out."

Now like I said I was very shy around girls I liked, so that meant I hadn’t had a lot of girlfriends. As a matter I could count the on one finger. Her, name was Ashley and she had been the love of my life for all of the last six months, that was until a week before graduation when she broke up with me. My cousin said that she saw her making out with her ex-boyfriend, Bobby McCunn, in his car after school. Mind you I was so torn apart that I smashed my fist in a brick wall right in front of my sister’s boyfriend Chris. He was so close to my fist in fact that when my knuckles split open on those bricks that he got blood spatter on his face.

So the fact that someone was bringing up this tragic heartbreak that I wasn’t quite over yet pissed me off. I figured that it was one of my friends f*****g around. So in response I typed: GO F**K YOUSELF! However, when I hit send I got the message “this person was offline and could not receive your message”. That pissed me off even more and I immediately shut down the computer and went to my room and went to bed. I didn't know what else to do, and that night I didn't sleep so well wondering just whom this was that had written this message. Finally around five in the morning I think I drifted off to sleep.

The next few weeks went by rather normally. I hung out with my friends, I went to concerts and parties and worked my a*s off, putting as much time in as I was allowed, and I was averaging some fifty hours a week. I spent quite a bit of those late nights writing more poems and getting good reviews back about them. And I had totally forgotten about the message, I had shrugged it off as if I had fallen asleep in front of the computer and dreamed the whole thing, that is until I got a weird review of one of my darker poems. This one read: "I am the one you seek, your cries have reached all of us and I will give you that which you seek if it is truly what you desire. My sisters and I would love to have you." But this time it was signed with the name "Beth."

Again this scared the hell out of me, but this time I had a name, only a first name, but a name. I hoped soon I would find out exactly who this was and put an end to it all, little did I know it was just the beginning.

Just as before time started to go by, no more messages and no notes on my poetry. I settled into life and started working ever so hard again and spent more time with my friends.

August, aw yes, August. I purchased the car I wanted so badly it was love at first site, a 1997 Ford Mustang; it was Aztec gold with a white stripe along the bottom of the doors. It became my pride and joy instantly. I began to spend my late nights for the rest ofthe summer at a place known to the people of Ashtabula County, Ohio as "The Strip", this was a place of partying and hanging out. It was really just a half mile of road that had bars and arcades on both side of the road, I still go there every once and a while to hunt and see people I knew in mortal life, but back then I was there for the girls and to show off my car.

It was a late night in mid August, a few friends and I were hanging out showing off our cars, the usual girls flirting with us and hanging all over us. I decided to go for a walked to see who I could run into, it was a beautiful night, but then again if it wasn't I wouldn't have been there. As I walked I was checking out the girls of course, and then I saw her standing there across there the street, staring at me, looking right into my eyes, and it seemed as though there was no one else there, just the two of us. She was about my height and had the most beautiful raven black hair, milky white and very soft looking skin; her eyes were the most unbelievable shade of blue. I had never seen eyes like these before. The crowd seemed to move swiftly around us both. No one seemed to notice her except me. And then she just seemed to vanish. At first I thought I had just imagined it, that she had to have just walked away into the crowd. I made my way back to my friends and well, as stupid as it sounded, I told them what had just happened and of course, they did what do most people's friends do when something sounds really weird and unbelievable, they laughed. So feeling stupid I decided I that she had just walked into the crowd and would forget the idea that she just disappeared and forget her, but I didn't know just how impossible that would be.

The next night I stayed home and got on the net. I began to talk to a girl on there who I had first talked to and made friends with back in June. And I had told this girl everything about the previous night every detail I could remember. We talked for hours upon hours about life and love and this odd occurrence. By the time we both got off it was four 0' clock in the morning.

The very next night we continued our conversation and this time by the end of our conversation, we knew right away we had to meet each other. I grabbed my cell phone and called the number she had given me to reach her. As we talked over the phone I told her that I had the day off and that I could drive down there to come and see her, and she agreed, little did I know just what kind of impact this meeting would have on my life.



© 2012 Mark Best


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Added on September 7, 2012
Last Updated on September 7, 2012


Author

Mark Best
Mark Best

Green Bay, WI



About
Well like everyone else on here I'm a writer. In my spare time I like to write horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and sometimes very heart felt stories with a supernatural twist. I love to read. more..

Writing
Nothing Like Murder Nothing Like Murder

A Stage Play by Mark Best