Reflections

Reflections

A Story by Michael
"

just a generalization....of what i was thinking in one of my classes the other day...

"
There are many times in our lifetime when we hear certain words or phrases that bring clarity or reflection to our lives. Whether it be from someone we know, or not, each one of us has the ability through power of words to relate and or inspire in each of our lives. Here are a few quotes that bring reflection upon my life today...

To me every day life is hard enough without people in the world trying to make you someone your not. �The virtue in most request is conformity.� We see this everyday in each of our lives, the ongoing expectations of others for those who are �non traditionalist� to change. In my life, personally I like change, but not to conform to others around me. I am a non traditionalist. Whether it is from the way our family celebrates holidays to the way I do certain things, the push for me to do what others do is always there. For instance when I had gotten my ear pierced, it was the end of the world to my parents, because I was not conforming to their attitudes and beliefs towards things of that nature. Now that the piercing is gone I have a tattoo, they respect my wants knowing I, in the end made the decision and will do what it is that I want to do. We are humans, we do not like to be told what it is that we have to do. Not saying using wisdom and sometimes experience in each decision isn't a bad idea either... I did not do it to make them upset, I did it because I wanted it. Knowing what I do and believe, this world can not hold me back from what I will do.

�Civilized man has built a coach but lost the use of his feet.� This hits me hard because I myself take good use of all that is in front of me, so much that I rely on so many things that if one thing is taken away I would not know what to do. Everything is a convenience now, with cell phones, cars, machines, computers, things we have become accustomed to but if were to fail, the world would be in chaos.

Another quote to go right along side with this is �Society never advances.� As a society we are always upgrading and finding new technology, diseases, laws, formulas, so on and so forth. So much that when we find something good we always find something worse to start working on that brings us further back. It seems the more we try to advance the more difficulty it is to keep up with it and the changing society.

�Envy is ignorance.� This statement rings very true to me. When I was younger, growing up watching sports figures, idolizing everything they did was something special to me. As I have grown up watching the lifestyles that they lead it became clear to me that is not who I would want to be like at all. The cover looked good but the content was horrible, and it brought me to realization that not one earthly human is perfect, nor worthy enough to be idolized, and that I should make my life the best I know how without guidance of those who lived alternate lifestyles.

I think everyone could relate to this last quote. �Are they my poor?� questioning the heart of giving money to the poor. This gets to me because I feel the same way. I feel for these people on the streets, I really do but sometimes I just think to myself well he had opportunity he just did not make wise choices. Everything given to these people have been used and or wasted, either for drugs, alcohol, or addiction, or else they would not be on the streets. I have given money to a man once before who said he needed money for some �gas� in some beat down truck. After handing him the money I see him go in as I am gassing up and get a pack of cigarettes and a 40oz. Its these choices that make society think twice on lending a helping hand to the weaker.

In all, I really believe that we can learn and make a difference in each others lives by learning to speak. Speaking up and not holding back. Writing is just another recreation of that. Learning by each others writings, situations, and life in general is what it is all about. Without feeling this world would be a boring place.

© 2008 Michael


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
xx
Wise words in this piece! Something many of us ought to read so that we can be reminded of the real issues in life and how to reconnect with them, face them, confront them.

I suggest, however, that you go over this piece another time and pick out any grammatical mistakes - oddly placed or missing punctuation, for example. And perhaps you could italicize the quotes, or enclose them in quotation marks? It would be much easier to pick them out, if you set them apart from the rest of the narrative.

All in all, a very thoughtful piece, and you communicate your thoughts effectively. Keep writing! :)

-Mina

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Added on April 21, 2008
Last Updated on April 22, 2008

Author

Michael
Michael

louisville, KY



About
Hey everyone, the name is Michael. I am 24 years old. The triple F are very important to me and can be seen through my writings. Faith, friends, and family. I write when something tweaks my mind and.. more..

Writing