The Fading Bright

The Fading Bright

A Story by Meerie_EJ

So many wonderful stars light the night sky.

Countless to be see with a naked eye. They speckle the expanse of the deep black, shining forth with enchanting light.

A friend to the moon and a weary traveler. Companions to planets and young children who gaze at them in awe.


But look, one star winks out, it's light forever gone.

  

Can stars die? Asks a child to her father.

No, they just sleep, like you sleep at night.

Into the house they go, the child to sleep, all on her own. She’s growing, soon she’ll give little heed to the stars at night.     

As they go, another star closes its eyes, its sparkling light fading, never to waken.

Years go by, do any persons remember the stars that die?

Too many to be recalled, some say. But one knows them all by name. He remembers the ones that have gone. He spoke them into being and called them by name.

  

It's seems now that fewer stars in the sky shine as long ago. When the heavens were bright and filled all the night. And the stars burned together in such great clusters that one could hardly see the black and blue behind them.

Another star gone, another light faded. How many are unnoticed?

   

Look, a star that was a moment before is no more.

Did you see it as it melted into the vault of  heaven?

Would that I could recall the shape of the star that died. For it would stay in my mind, perhaps to be remembered on sad lonely days, when the world is gray and gloom surrounds me.

I recall that star as the star that lived, not the star that died.


One star shines its brightest, giving one last final effort to shine for men.

Another dies.

Soon, will it be only the moon to make night seem bright? It seems that so many stars are leaving in the night.


Now look about the earth. The earth shakes in turmoil, the people of the lands rise against one another.

Could it be the death of so many stars that caused this?

No, for all things like the stars must fade and die. All things must end.

The stars are merely a sign to those who watch.

How saddened the few glorious stars that remain must be to see their friends depart.

One by one vanishing into the dark.


The child can see the stars that remain, those who combat the night at the ends of the universe.

Hidden away in the furthest reaches, they shine with beauty and light.

A child’s innocence draws them out of the black.


Now only one remains.

A wilting and tired star.  

His light glows with the promise of better things to come, but even he slowly fades paler and paler.

Then as if sighing and laying down to sleep, the last star dies.

  

Now the moon shines alone, with none to keep it company. How long can it go on?

It needs only wait until it is made new with all that once was.

© 2018 Meerie_EJ


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on March 13, 2018
Last Updated on March 14, 2018

Author

Meerie_EJ
Meerie_EJ

TX



About
Hope y'all enjoy reading my words as much as I enjoy writing them! Reviews are welcome! more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by Meerie_EJ


Jane Jane

A Story by Meerie_EJ