I Grant You A Wish - Chapter 2

I Grant You A Wish - Chapter 2

A Chapter by Megan
"

Meet Jess. She wants her family to be normal again and one day wakes up to find that a woman she dreamt about who could save her family is in fact living in London.

"

   My name is Jessica, but I like to be called Jess. I live in a small house in East London by myself. Well, my mother lives here too I suppose but she is never here. Her bed hasn’t been used in months and I haven’t seen her in weeks. In fact, the last time I seen her was three weeks ago today and it was only when I was passing her on the bus as she done shopping for another family. Yeah, I know. She works as a maid in another town " a town much nicer than this. All the toff’s live there " the people who can’t do anything from themselves apparently. I can’t blame her though, my mum, since she has a £60,000 debt to pay off because of my dad. She gets more money working for the richer families, even though she has to dedicate her live to caring for them. It’s going take her until I’m 27 to pay off my dad’s debt. I’m only fifteen right now, and she’s been doing this job ever since he died when I was eleven. Because of him my mum hasn’t been here when I needed her most. She buys me fancy televisions and mobile phones, music and books " hundreds of books. She thinks she can buy me out of my misery for her not being here. I think she is stupid. The last time I cared about getting a mobile phone was when I was ten so I could text my best friend, not so I could keep in contact with a woman who can’t even talk to me during her work hours. Oh, did I mention that her work hours were 4am till 11pm? Yeah, I’m usually sleeping during that time.

 

   I must come off as really cold hearted, but that’s nothing near what I’m really like. I never get to talk to anybody anymore because I sit around the house waiting for my mum to call me, even though she never does. My old friends don’t want to talk to me anymore apart from William " I’ll talk about him later -  and my family all live over sea’s in America and some in Germany. It’s really lonely most of the time, that is, until I found Sammy. He was wondering around my back garden most nights trying to find food. I used to go out and feed him until I realised that he had no owner " so I took him in myself. He’s the only thing that comforts me now and he’s the only one I can talk to when I feel low. However, he likes his adventures. Every night he goes out into the street and wonders for hours. God knows what he does, but I miss him like crazy then.

 

   I don’t like being alone in this house. It’s so quiet and I don’t like it. You’d think I’d be used to it by now, but I’m far from used to anything about living here. At night, I’ll cuddle Sammy in bed. He’ll keep me warm until he starts wanting to leave and go outside. I’ll turn on the light, put my Monsters Inc slippers on and drag myself down to the backdoor to let Sammy out. He’ll stand on the step and look at me until I nod and smile as if letting him know it’s alright to leave me for the night again. Next, I’ll watch him go off into the darkness of the Garden weeds and close the door. It is comforting knowing that at least when he goes away, he has the intention to come back to me.

 

   My room faces the street, Dyrburgh Crescent. I never bother tidying so my room is always fairly messy " but not dirty. I have so many books and I’ve read every single one of them. I only read mystery books and science fiction but when I was younger I used to sit in the corner of my room reading romance novels. My teacher thought I was very advance on my reading and actually asked me to stop reading so much romance and find much more out about the world instead, not about love. I have a desk covered in paper from when I used to draw and a wardrobe full of fancy clothes I’ve never worn. My bed sits in front of the window and I pile my pillows up against the window I use as my headboard. The walls are boring " plain white with forest green carpet. Around the walls I hang my favourites up from David Bowie to Iron Maiden, and many photographs of my mum and me next to my bed. I have one large white bookcase behind my door where I keep my favourite book collection. Sometimes, when I was younger, my mum used to come in and sit with me on the beanbag in the corner of the room next to the bookcase, and read to me. Those were the days when she had enough time to do things like that. Now the dust has collected around where the beanbag used to be and all that lies there now are boxes filled with childhood memories.

 

   My favourite place to be is my bed. It’s where I get to sleep the days away or just lie and read. I prefer to live in a world created in a book than my own, especially the books of children having adventures with their parents. Over the headboard and end of my bed, I covered the bars in last years Christmas lights. Little colourful fairy lights that I use at night. Mum told me last year that she would be home at Christmas so I went out and bought us a tree and some decorations and I even got some presents for her, too. Those presents however are still in the bag, packed away somewhere " most likely kicked under my bed. She never came home for Christmas that year or the year before, or the year before that.

 

   That’s when I met William.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2013 Megan


Author's Note

Megan
ignore grammar problems, this is a first draft and I've never posted online before so i'm really nervous. If you could leave comments about the first chapter so far, that would be great! I'd love any criticism that could help me. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

** the - doesn't seem to be working on my post and is being replaced with ", i'm awfully sorry for this. I don't know how to change it but will make sure it doesn't happen next time.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
1 Review
Added on January 4, 2013
Last Updated on January 4, 2013
Tags: drama, teen, teenage, family, love, adventure, fairytale, dreams, london, poor, poverty, anger


Author

Megan
Megan

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
I'm currently studying to get into Art School in Glasgow, a small city in Scotland. I'm an avid reader and I love it. My favourite authors are John Green and Virginia Andrews. I also like to write an .. more..

Writing