Preface

Preface

A Chapter by Megan Step
"

How it all started.....

"

    I didn’t know what death looked like until I saw him.

     He was standing at the edge of the forest, with the road being the only barrier that stood between him and I. A black silhouette. And I was alone.

     His jade eyes stood alone in the pitch black December morning. His lips moving below those mesmerizing eyes, forming words that I couldn’t make out. I focused on his lips only, shoving everything else out of my mind.

     Fad? Sad?

     I focused harder. Straining my eyes for too long, I made the quick decision to venture off my safe patch of sidewalk and onto the desolate street.

     I found it odd for a person to be hiding in a dense forest right infront of the bus stop. A creepy scenario only heard in those unknown towns, that some news shows report when nothing Earth Shattering happen. The one that always ends up with a girl missing, then found dead hours later, on the side of a hiking trail not far from she was reported missing. And in my gut, I soon felt that I was going to be that girl. That girl in every horror movie that everyone yells at to not go into that room or open that door. The one girl that created the saying, curiosity killed the cat.

     I moved closer.

     With every step closer that I got to him the more the unsettling feeling began to grow in my stomach. The more I felt that something was not right about him, not right at all. But, still I edged closer and closer to him. I was half way there, in the middle of the street, when a shrill squeal of brakes locking up and smell of burning rubber, caught my attention. I whipped my head around, but it was too late. White light of an on-coming car was all I saw.

     He was the last thing I saw before my head violently collided with the ground. Standing on the sidewalk, the street light hitting all his features, calm and collected for someone who had just witnessed a teenage girl get hit by a car. With dark hair that barely reached the lids of his eyes; with a tall, tan body that was well defined and lean.

     He was definitely not from here.

     But, something was odd about those beautiful green eyes that had caught my attention. They seemed old, not physically old, for I could see no see signs of aging, but as if his soul was old. The look in his eyes that seemed to show a long line of struggle and guilt that pledged his life long ago. The look of someone who has seen this before.

     As my head hit the asphalt, I finally understood what his lips were forming. It was my name, Fate. The name my mom gave me because I was meant to be in her and my father’s lives. That I was the developed event outside of a their control, that I was meant to be.

     In a dazed full of numbing pain, pulling in and out of consciousness, I laid there on the ground. The warm-wet feeling escaping from head, watching the teenage boy that no one else, not even the police, seemed noticed. His creamy green eyes only focused on me. And for one last time, as if it was his final attempt, his full lips formed the word, fate, but this time I heard it. His deep, husky voice was not saying my name, but the true meaning of the word, a warning to me that this is inevitable.

     With that one word and the true sorrow escaping from his eyes, everything in my life went black.



© 2011 Megan Step


Author's Note

Megan Step
Haven't finished editing, so please tell me if there is any mistakes or something doesn't make sense. Please be honest!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is awesome. I really like this first chapter. It nabs your attention and doesn't let go, even at the end of the chapter. Excellent cliffhanger, by the way. I'm a sucker for them. The more cliffhangers, the more I'm craving the next chapter.

And that's exactly what you've done here.

ANDSOON

I think "Fad? Sad?" in the beginning should be something else. Should Fad be Mad instead, hmm? If I'm wrong and Fad is a new emotion, please tell meh. I'd be interested to learn about it. ;D

Other than that, I couldn't see any other mistakes. This is an incredible beginning, something that seems unqiue so far, and I'm anxious to read what else you have to dish out!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i love this! i am literally itching for the next part.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is awesome. I really like this first chapter. It nabs your attention and doesn't let go, even at the end of the chapter. Excellent cliffhanger, by the way. I'm a sucker for them. The more cliffhangers, the more I'm craving the next chapter.

And that's exactly what you've done here.

ANDSOON

I think "Fad? Sad?" in the beginning should be something else. Should Fad be Mad instead, hmm? If I'm wrong and Fad is a new emotion, please tell meh. I'd be interested to learn about it. ;D

Other than that, I couldn't see any other mistakes. This is an incredible beginning, something that seems unqiue so far, and I'm anxious to read what else you have to dish out!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I would say you could merge both prologues into each other, but it really depends on how much you change the first prologue. I would say merge the two together...maybe? idk. :) I think I like the first prologue better though because it makes me want to figure out that guy

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 24, 2011
Last Updated on August 29, 2011
Tags: Death, Paranormal, Romance, thriller, suspense


Author

Megan Step
Megan Step

Gilbert, AZ



About
div { text-align: center; } Remember This Name: Megan Step It will be on the shelves of Barnes and Noble, one day. I'm Megan. a teenage girl who lived all her life in the hottest pla.. more..

Writing