Red Polish

Red Polish

A Poem by Mel Lisa
"

Story/Poem based on true events.

"

To you, my guardian of time, with long white hair, olive skin and eyes like the abyss.


 I found a small broken glass bottle, leaking red and inhaled at the age of six. She sat on the hot concrete, under the warm Caribbean sun painting away preparing for this day.  So naïve to the consequence or purposely ignoring the risk, she worked transfixed.


 It was as if her spirit took complete control and she was simply watching diligently as this small and fragile girl sat legs crossed, gently gliding the wet thick redness over each nail, ignoring the cost.  

It felt familiar, almost instinctive, with each stroke she found security. Her world was filled with ugliness and here she found some beauty. Did it rise up from beneath the hot earth or was it cast down from the heavens along with the pelting rain?  But like the murky stream her cares ran down the drain.

These  grounds were like graves, daily she would bury her tears it seems. They would grow like vines along the walls and against barred windows that echoed her hopes and dreams. The metal gates  bolted with chains and locks were meant to keep the "ungodly" at bay. Yet somehow inside this prison where a purposeful soul dies…a small bottle with red polish found its way.

Why do we climb to the very top…only to fall never to fly?


Why is it a struggle to be human, to be loved?


Why is the cost so high?

 

To combat painful strikes for this sin, she became numb. Facing monsters with human features, she was so young. Yet in her I found no hate, she managed to keep that sweet state. Their inflictions left her flesh permanently scarred. But her spirit they could not touch, her heart could not be barred.

Their words rendered her useless and weak but at the age of six 

I sat there, quiet, steady and fixed.

 Now do you see? This was me...

on the concrete floor under the Caribbean sun, painting red boldly, fearlessly, becoming free.



-MeleciaG 2014 

© 2014 Mel Lisa


Author's Note

Mel Lisa
Please leave comments, suggestions. Be courteous and kind:) thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice poem,

Seems like you were implying freedom behind bars (which is suppose to take freedom away from a person). I enjoyed the imagery and emotion in your verse. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

Thank you! the poem was about a girl who is imprisoned by strict religious zealots. who she lives wi.. read more
Desiree B.

10 Years Ago

Wow that is awesome! A thoughtful story behind a stunning verse. Keep up the great work. :D
Wow...amazing piece...such sadness but with hope.
Brilliant art.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

thank you so much for taking time to read this and to review. appreciate it very much!
RichGee

10 Years Ago

My pleasure
This is an amazing poem! Nice visual imagery. Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mel Lisa

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your feed back. Much appreciated:)

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

674 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 23, 2014
Last Updated on February 27, 2014
Tags: story, poems, inspirational, Red Polish, MeleciaG

Author

Mel Lisa
Mel Lisa

New York, NY



About
Hi my name is Mel and I love writing. I have been writing poetry all my life. I love the freedom it allows for an artistic soul to express their inner most thoughts !. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


~ Rain ~ ~ Rain ~

A Poem by Dye