Changeling - Part 3

Changeling - Part 3

A Chapter by Caramel

The house was magnificent; the overgrown garden, awash with sun colours; red, yellow, orange, gold! Kind of ironic, Maya thought, the sun's going away for months now. The rose bushes, long in need of a prune, grew over the cracked marble path, which, even through years of erosion, had the most intricate designs of swirls and flowers and wings and... It continued up the path and even on the door.

 

"First log," she said as she recorded, "The Bunlock Manor must have been beautiful before... whatever happened here. The walls are red brick and the entrance is covered in rose bushes - that's going to be a bugger to get past. The garden is completely overgrown, the grass comes up to my knees and there are brambles in the windows, they're all broken. It's such a shame a beautiful house like this isn't used," Maya paused for a second then continued, a little less certain, "I don't know though, there's something about this place that isn't quite right. I feel... odd. It looks like any other rundown ruin, except... there's something more spooky about it, like... it wasn't just time that broke these walls and it wasn't just weather that worked in the air. That's another thing; down in the town I was warm in this hoodie, here I'm shivering, like I haven't got it on at all."

 

Maya worked her way up the path, tripping once on a piece of broken slab and finally reached the door. The design was clearer on the wood, maybe because it had been shielded from the rain and wind more.

 

The wind!

 

Maya finally knew what was wrong and she felt like she'd been slapped in the face. She could hear the waves beating against the sharp rocks below, but upon her cheeks she felt no wind to move the sea. She took a step back, away from the door and spread her arms wide; no breeze brushed her hair, she heard the rocking of the waves, but it sounded miles away, instead of right beneath her feet and the smell, that salty, fishy smell that was making her brown eyes water a moment ago, wasn't there.

 

She began to shake as she lifted the Dictaphone to her mouth, "The wind... there's no wind. I'm by the sea, there should be wind!" She took a deep breath to calm herself, "I'm going to the edge of the garden again... I'm stepping outside the gate..." Maya's eyes began to sting again as the gale, sea smell and rain hit her all at once, "What? That's not possible!"

 

Her knees buckled under her as the fear gripped her. She lay there, on the muddy ground feeling as though she'd turned to ice, on the inside and out, until sense grabbed her once more. Still slightly wobbly she stood up, scared at her own thought, but knowing it made sense: It was pouring, the only place of shelter was inside, so inside she'd have to go.



© 2012 Caramel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is amazing :D but if your not going to write another chapter don't leave it like this :O i would like to carry on reading so come up with the next chapter quickly!! Much thanks :D

I really enjoyed this. . .

great write :)).xXx

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

273 Views
1 Review
Added on August 28, 2011
Last Updated on January 2, 2012
Previous Versions


Author

Caramel
Caramel

Portsmouth, United Kingdom



About
Really? Do I have to talk about myself? I tend to ramble a lot... Well... To sum me up in two words: Lazy perfectionist. It's complicated, I know. I haven't always loved writing, I used to hate it, .. more..

Writing