How do we know we know?

How do we know we know?

A Story by Alex Paulsen
"

A brief passage of epistemology explaining my lack of certainty in all things regarding both Theism and Atheism.

"
Imagine another universe
A universe that is not this one.
Now imagine that they both exist.

Our universe consists of time and physics, we observe it and call it science.
This other universe, the one we imagined, we know nothing of it, and cannot determine if it shares the same attributes as our own.

Do both universes exist at the same time, even if the other universe has no time?
Does the other universe have constraints. If we don't know it, then perhaps all that can be assumed about it has no limits, no boundaries. There are infinite possibilities for what it consists of and how it is defined.

Then again, we don't know it, we can't assume anything, or even claim it exists.

So then, if there were to be another universe, could it have an impact on the existence of our very own? Could there be a one way interaction to explain all that exists within ours? Perhaps this other universe contains the very forces we know as "God". Then again, what are the attributes of "God" and how do we actually know this?

But still we do not know, still we cannot claim. We have no knowledge of anything beyond our very own universe, our own laws, scientifically speaking, are currently incapable of permitting us access beyond our realm.
Who's to say this other realm is similar?

What if the boundaries of where we exist is comparable to a valve or a one way mirror? Sure, it might seem strange to consider something outside of where we are is responsible for at least some of that which surrounds us, but should our universe be like that one way mirror, how are we supposed to observe it to know it's true or false?

Should we have never experienced something, who are we to reject it? What makes it suddenly untrue?
Should we have experienced anything at all, whose to say we actually saw what happened, do our eyes and ears not deceive us? How are we sure events were processed and remembered accurately and that which happened was not just an illusion?

Who is to say all of the above can't happen? Who's to say it can?
Readers and listeners, I am Agnostic.

© 2013 Alex Paulsen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Greetings Alex.

Firstly I must say that you have written most graciously and in a way which makes one understand that we are smaller than Quarks in terms of the infinite expansion which is space.
The concept of an entirely different universe is indeed intriguing and one I have pondered a few times myself. Now if you look at the natural law of our own universe and take for example two separate galaxies, both with their own attributes and uncountable differences in terms of chemical structure and forces of every kind, over time and due to laws of gravity, these galaxies can meet in the vast expanse which is space and intertwine, embrace if you will, merging together the two 'entities' to create a combination of forces and mass. This is the natural order, and so I imagine that there would perhaps one day, be an interaction between our existing universe and the imagined one, and I also guess that when that happens, the superior energy which would be created would be absolutely huge.
'Attributes of God', very, very interesting thought, one which I find quite...paradoxical. To explain the attributes of something, first one must understand the basis of the subject, and I'm afraid that if this 'God' was linked the the creation of Time, Force, Life and everything we can perceive, then we are indeed a vast way off even being able to comprehend this yet.
Again, I find your concept of the universal one way mirror to be enthralling. To observe into the mirror and then to understand if it is or true or false is a culmination of firstly: the senses, mainly sight I'd imagine, and secondly: conciousness and logical reasoning, originated through billions of years of evolution: the brain and it's abilities are still so simple and easily confused. 'The edge of the universe' springs to mind, with people I've asked coming up with various answers of what it would consist of: Absolute whiteness or colourlessness, or the impossible nature of that actually being a possibility for our universe is always expanding at a gigantic amount, these answers are just ideas we can comprehend. Without rattling on: I'm not sure how we could judge if it was true or false.

As for the last questions, especially the query on if the creation was, and is still all an illusion: I think even a deity of sorts would begin to ponder the true nature of it's makings and thus itself.

I thank you Alex, for you have allowed me to think outside of the box which is the interior of my skull: something I always respect from any conversation or literary works. I hope to see more from you soon!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 23, 2013
Last Updated on July 23, 2013

Author

Alex Paulsen
Alex Paulsen

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand



Writing
Dear... Dear...

A Story by Alex Paulsen