Day 1, March 23

Day 1, March 23

A Chapter by Meeks
"

First Day, welcome to the hospital

"

Day 1, March 23.


The Hospital was originally one of those giant French chateaus, known for the rich carpets and polished furniture and heavy, gold laden chandeliers. They would feature heavy oaken staircases, beautiful windows and original paintings and tapestries, sculptures and busts, and portraits of family members, polished wooden floorboards, and giant towers and warm fireplaces in every room, and god knows what else. And a garden, of course, everyone knew that chateaus had a big and tended flower garden. I’ve never seen a chateau from my humble apartment in Hamburg, but rumors got around how all the French live. Richly, like kings. So who wouldn't want to work in a chateau?

As soon as I got out of the truck I knew I was wrong.

There wasn't anything off about the place. We drove up through a perfect but somewhat overgrown garden, unloaded what equipment we had in front of the grandiose entrance, and then hauling it up the marble steps into a splendid entrance room.

Everything had a serene, happy yet almost abandoned look to it, as if the driver got the wrong address and there was no hospital here. Even the dust hasn’t gathered on the floor and furniture, everything was spotless and clean. Perfectly clean. I could've been on vacation, considering the sunny weather and warm winds and beautiful mansion.

And that was the problem. It was too good of an option to be true. There was a war on, after all.

There was a voices coming from the behind one of the oaken double doors, one of which was slightly ajar. Three voices, no, four or five, were talking about something, their conversations echoing and fading as if they were at a distance. I looked at the rest of the group, dropping my bags onto a table, and marched through the doors in the direction of the voices.

The rooms were beautifully decorated, and giant opening led from one room to the next to form a long corridor of four or five splendid rooms. One had to walk easily a hundred, maybe even more to get to the end. Each room had windows facing the front, so that light poured in and formed patterns on the rugs as I walked. I passed a grand piano, a grandfather clock, several ornate coffee tables, two giant paintings and some sofas and chairs before I entered the final room.

The scenery was quite different. No furniture, the rugs were gone, and instead were metal beds with patients on a bare wooden floor. There weren't many, only about two dozen, and they weren't the gruesomely twisted figures I had been prepared to see. There was a doctor sitting next to one of them, and he stood up as soon as I entered the room.

“Can I help you?” his voice was hoarse, as if he’d just been shouting at the top of his lungs.

“Ehm, I’m Janet Wells, from the reinforcing medical troop. We were directed here,”

“Ah, yes yes. I think you were scheduled for yesterday, no?” he shook his head.

“We ran into traffic. You won't believe how many soldiers are heading to the lines now.”

“Hmm, more work for us. Are those your friends?” he said, pointing behind me towards the doors at the far end. It was open, and the medics that drove with me were peeking into the string of rooms.

“Yeah, that's them,” I nod. A patient stifled a laugh, and I pursed my lips. Hundreds of miles away from Hamburg yet still so much at home. “Hey guys, get over here!”

“Good, good. I see you know your way with them,” he nods at the little clump of medics cautiously walking down the hallway. He studies me for a second. “Wells, hmm? Is there another Wells in this group?”

“Not that I know of,”

“So, you're the surgeon I was supposed to get?” he asks, not bothering to hide disbelief.

“I am a surgeon, sir,” I nod. A silence as he looks at me, eyeing my clothing and his eyes finally resting on my breasts. “You are a woman, right?”

“Of course, sir.” I say, offended.

“Hmm, can't say I’ve worked with a woman before,” he turns back and wipes his hands on something before facing me again. “We'll see how you do. Now, if you’ll excuse me…,” he says, and I step aside so he can walk up to the little group. They were standing by the wall, looking at the patients with wide eyes like lost little sheep.

“See the room behind you? It's not a hospital yet, take all the furniture outside and get beds down here,” the doctor says. “Carpets too, throw them out if you'd like. The beds are on the third floor, in the attic, so get a move on! All hands on deck.”

Everyone starts milling around, unsure of where the stairs are.

“Oh yes, I almost forgot. Welcome to the Northern Front Main Hospital, I am surgeon general Albus Schroeder, and nice to meet you all. Now get up there.”


© 2016 Meeks


Author's Note

Meeks
Just... anything, I guess. Focus on style and mechanical problems in the plot so far. How are the characters coming along?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The plot is good could use a little more background, but then I guess that's what the other chapters can be for. The old surgeon seams tired and stiff though his language suggests otherwise.
I love the story in itself though, great wrire

Posted 8 Years Ago


I liked it. I agree with Archos though - the descriptions were well written, but long. It was difficult to pay attention thorough them.

Also a quick comment on this part. "A silence as he looks at me, eyeing my clothing and his eyes finally resting on my breasts."
As a female, I will say it isn't unusual when meeting a man for him to glance at your bosom. "resting" on them is different. A one second look translates to like 5 seconds of b**b time. I would be so uncomfortable in that situation (heck, I'm uncomfortable with a slight hesitation at chest area, much less someone resting their eyes there).

I'm not sure how I personally would deal with it, probably look at him like "my eyes are up here" or clear my throat of something. Uncomfortable shifting, and a small frown with the response might be more appropriate for the time period though.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that b**b stare-age does not generally go unnoticed or unaccompanied by some sort of reaction; subtle or otherwise. You might want to add that in, or make his gawking more subtle.

Other than those things, great job! I can't wait to read more(:

Posted 8 Years Ago


Patricia Williams

8 Years Ago

"quick comment" was not as quick as I intended. Sorry :p
A new project? I have to say I like it! You chose a really interesting setting and you work really well with the atmosphere. Though, if I were you, I'd refrain from long, stodgy descriptions, especially at the beginning. If you just keep writing down details which are important in setting the scene, but not for the story, people start ignoring them and even the story itself. I had to re-read a paragraph because I overlooked an important detail which followed right after the descriptions. That is nothing severe though and you don't even have to get rid of the descriptions, in my opinion, just play with them a little. Overall, nice write! I'm looking forward to reading the rest!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2016
Last Updated on January 15, 2016


Author

Meeks
Meeks

Poland



About
Hey guys! I'm a sixteen year old writer trying desperately to make something publish-worthy. In the meantime, I hand out useful critiques and comments. Currently trying to work on something diffe.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Meeks


There Was There Was

A Book by Meeks