More Than Just a Name

More Than Just a Name

A Story by mi_Y

Is it selfish to want to have a good reputation?

Many people want to make a name for themselves. In other words they want to be famous. Why do they want to be famous? Because they want to feel validated as a person. They want to be acknowledged, appreciated, celebrated, loved, even admired. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we all have these desires in varying degrees. Some want these more than others and are willing to sacrifice much to obtain them. These ambitions may stem from the lack of love and validation from the people around them like family and friends, or even from themselves. Hence the need to look to outward sources for love. Because we can't survive without love.

So is it wrong or even selfish to want to have a good name? There is just that nagging perception at the back of my mind that it is. But if we probe closer at the desire to want to have a good reputation, it is actually like a double-edged sword. Yes we will feel the satisfaction of having done great and wonderful things and having our name being associated with certain characteristics. It may seem selfish and just for our own personal delight. But if we examine the reason for that good reputation, we would have done some things right and well to earn that good reputation. And the good things that were done would have actually benefitted other people. Examples include the successful businessman that made a lot of money from selling products that benefit the people and drives the economy; and the pop stars that make lovely music and entertain people and make them happy; and doctors that treat the patients well and cure their illnesses.

So reputation and what we do come hand in hand. If the successful businessman decide to switch to the narcotics industry and deal drugs, his reputation will be tarnished the second he turns to that. The moment the pop star did embarrassing things like using drugs, her reputation goes down with the pill that she swallowed. And a breach in the duty of care can impact a doctor's reputation adversely.

Although the desire to just want to be famous is pretty self-centered, the desire to have a good reputation is healthy and normal part of being a human. Nobody lives forever and the only thing that we leave after we die is our name, our legacy. Walk in the right path and we'll leave behind fragrance and positivity when our name was mentioned. Did many bad things and the stench will follow.

Hence each day is full of decisions of how we want to impact the people around us, and the world. Each decision has its consequences, good or bad. We cannot control things that happen and people's reactions, but we can control and are responsible for all our actions and words. Be empowered knowing that you can control yourself and your responses despite the circumstances. And choose wisely my friends, because we always reap what we sow. Uhkay, I better start sowing some good seeds today, ha! Let's build a good name for ourselves in our areas of passion.

© 2012 mi_Y


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on November 2, 2012
Last Updated on November 2, 2012

Author

mi_Y
mi_Y

Writing
My Husband My Husband

A Story by mi_Y