Andy Fletcher

Andy Fletcher

A Story by miahstr
"

I am trying to flesh out the Villian for my book. I know there isn't a whole lot of context here but I am looking to see how you guys feel about him. Thank You!

"

Andy Fletcher sat on his couch. His now full beard hung down from his chin. He had not shaved in 2 years. Not since he had been kicked out of his graduate philosophy program. Why he was kicked out he would never truly understand… He had just done what plenty of others had done before him. It was revealed in an awkward way of course and he was after that, labeled a pervert and a freak. He was giving a talk on creating human consciousness in an artificial construct when he had mistakenly exited the powerpoint on his computer. What had been revealed on the screen was a picture of a naked 10-year-old girl… It was a picture that was mild compared to the other kinds of things that he had on his computer… but it had been damning as other grad students and professors saw what he had. Needless to say, he immediately left the room. However, that didn’t stop the investigations. He had gotten rid of most of the pornography on his computer and covered his tracks well enough that eventually the issue was dropped by the police department. However, The head of his department had no choice but to give him the boot.

He had woken up in the wee hours of the morning as he always had. He had his early morning coffee and read the newspaper. Guns were big news again. After a few School shootings, those liberal pigs were trying to take our guns away. If you compare the number of people who die from school shootings to those who die in car accidents… car accidents win everytime. The idea that school shootings were a real problem was just the left trying to push their anti-gun agenda. They were now trying to ban assault rifle sales. “If I want to shoot an assault rifle than I will." he thought. This thought had of course driven him to buy an assault rifle himself. He already owned a handgun and an assault rifle seemed like a logical next step.


The idea had come slowly at first but a few months ago something had become very clear to him. In his studies at the University of Arizona he had thought a lot about the human mind. He had been on the forefront of providing AI with what he thought was the essence of humanity. He had been having dreams lately. Vivid dreams about himself and the nature of reality. What was true reality and what humanity was when you broke it down to its simplest parts. Descartes “ I think, therefore I am” had made him question everything about himself. It was a statement which was important because it revealed the only verifiable truth. He was. Everything else had the potential to be an illusion. You could not, however, rule everything and everyone else out of existence as early solipsists had once done. You would be left with a life without meaning. He thought that he had found that meaning while he slept and focused on it now. Could he follow this thought to its conclusion? He didn’t know but was going to try.

© 2017 miahstr


Author's Note

miahstr
please give me your thoughts on this character. He is the Villain in the book that I am writing. Thank you

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Interesting introduction to a dangerous persona. The last part where he gets into philosophy fills him out nicely. I get the impression that he is a undeveloped kid (his mentality) so it's hard to feel hatred for him. I either don't really understand him (although towards the end I start to) but I sort of pity his cluelessness. Maybe elaborate on the gun section with fewer statements about liberal pigs etc. and more lines that illuminate his personal attachment to the gun (family history, culture, liberal insults from the past...). I totally believe that some people would cling to such cliches to defend their gun desires, but there has got to be a more human dimension as well. At least I hope so.

As for the porn, I can see him lacking remorse, but it's hard to see why he wouldn't get that it would be a problem professionally.

There are nice details that make me want to follow his story like his early waking time, his dreams, and his growing beard.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

miahstr

7 Years Ago

Hey Jane,
Thank you very much for your review! You give some really good feedback. The state.. read more
miahstr

7 Years Ago

I also think... In Andy's own attempt to break humanity down to its simplest parts he takes pride in.. read more



Reviews

Interesting introduction to a dangerous persona. The last part where he gets into philosophy fills him out nicely. I get the impression that he is a undeveloped kid (his mentality) so it's hard to feel hatred for him. I either don't really understand him (although towards the end I start to) but I sort of pity his cluelessness. Maybe elaborate on the gun section with fewer statements about liberal pigs etc. and more lines that illuminate his personal attachment to the gun (family history, culture, liberal insults from the past...). I totally believe that some people would cling to such cliches to defend their gun desires, but there has got to be a more human dimension as well. At least I hope so.

As for the porn, I can see him lacking remorse, but it's hard to see why he wouldn't get that it would be a problem professionally.

There are nice details that make me want to follow his story like his early waking time, his dreams, and his growing beard.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

miahstr

7 Years Ago

Hey Jane,
Thank you very much for your review! You give some really good feedback. The state.. read more
miahstr

7 Years Ago

I also think... In Andy's own attempt to break humanity down to its simplest parts he takes pride in.. read more
I enjoyed this little set of thoughts. It is brief, but I get some of his political leanings as well as the fact that he is unremorseful about his child porn. Definitely not someone I would want to hang out with, but pretty good for a villain. I can see how he could become dangerous.

Posted 7 Years Ago


miahstr

7 Years Ago

Oh, you have no idea how dangerous... I get the chills a bit when I am writing this character. Howev.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2017
Last Updated on January 16, 2017

Author

miahstr
miahstr

Mesa, AZ



About
I am a ship on a stormy sea being blown every which way. I have set a course but who knows at which shore I will stay. I write in my free time and my ultimate goal is to inspire epiphany an "oh I didn.. more..

Writing
The You The You

A Poem by miahstr


Garen Garen

A Story by miahstr


Both Feet Both Feet

A Poem by miahstr