Will We Then Win?

Will We Then Win?

A Poem by Michelle May
"

If we learn to love the color of our skin, will we then win?

"

Judged by the color of my skin.

Why look at me when I didn’t even sin.

Why judge me instead of asking me how I’ve been.

How did racism even begin?           

How can this world be so lost and just start hating?

Or maybe that’s the way it always has been?

Blinded by social media, I should’ve paid attention to Lion King.

 One thing I can’t do is change my color of skin.

Would I then be able to fit in?

If everyone was one skin color, would we then know what love is?

 Instead of being chased by bullets and running?

Or instead of being chased by bad cops with badges killing our children?

Will we then win?

Or can we all connect as if everyone was our conjoined twin.

We’re all made from the same dust and skin, take it all in.

Look at all the money we all posses, let that sink in.

Now tell me why the penny is worth one cent and doesn’t have the mold of George Washington?

Is it because Abraham helped slavery and we don’t honor him?

Line up all the coins and see how everyone has their back turned away from Lin.


 Don’t cry Lin, lets your tears dry.

You did a lot for the country, you were a good guy.

Appreciated more by the ones present around his time.

Rejected by its own kind for defending the “bad guys”.


Still learning about different cultures, what a lifetime.

To think that not that many cultures existed here back then, that must have been a long climb.

I know people that came to this country with no clothes in the winter time.

Just because their country was always hot weather and spring time.

Imagine if migration never happened and it was all a war crime.

Would we be eating the same foods as we did on lunch time?

Would we have the same fashion trends during show times?

 

Our skin color only shows where we’re originally from, not who we are.

If we were all the same color, would we then learn to love and take care of the earth star?

Or would we get bored from everyone being the same and suck helium from a mylar?

Try floating away with thousands of balloons because you want to find a different giant star with different cars and guitars.

Different animals and imported cigars.

Different foods, clothing, and colors of skins that come from so far.

Will we then win if we learn to love our skin? Will we then win?

© 2016 Michelle May


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You are gifted, but you try fitting everything thats wrong with life in your writing, which is confusing on understanding, not what the poem is about but, how old is your soul too be so fearless ready to fight the world. I said no one came out to me on the keys to being a teen...a male at that but it's this, you're fighting for the rights to not being forgotten, yet who knows you now? The answer is everyone you pass by knows you're a person but do you know who you are, until you stop fighting yourself only then you'll know yourself, as an artist you'll think about this weekly understanding your potential refining your writing and then one day you'll understand. When you understand let me know, I think you'll figure it out.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You are gifted, but you try fitting everything thats wrong with life in your writing, which is confusing on understanding, not what the poem is about but, how old is your soul too be so fearless ready to fight the world. I said no one came out to me on the keys to being a teen...a male at that but it's this, you're fighting for the rights to not being forgotten, yet who knows you now? The answer is everyone you pass by knows you're a person but do you know who you are, until you stop fighting yourself only then you'll know yourself, as an artist you'll think about this weekly understanding your potential refining your writing and then one day you'll understand. When you understand let me know, I think you'll figure it out.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 6, 2016
Last Updated on February 6, 2016

Author

Michelle May
Michelle May

NJ



About
Awareness in a messy mind. more..

Writing