Lucille

Lucille

A Chapter by Mika

     The pristine snow crunched under his feet as he stalked out into the trees, his tracks the only marks in the freshly fallen snow. It was barely dawn, but this was the best time to work. He had too much to do to dilly-dally. First he would check his traps and bring anything he caught back, then he'd chop wood so he had enough for the rest of the winter, and he'd use the rest of the day for- He paused, his grip tightening on the shotgun in his hands. Living on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere meant that you got used to seeing movement, but this was different. This was no animal. He lived with animals. He knew what they were like, and this wasn't it. It was rare to get others up this far, but he approached with hospitality despite his caution.
     Through the trees stood a woman. She was bundled up in snow gear like he was, and she was armed, but didn't seem to have bad intent. He approached her, purposely being a bit loud to make himself known.
     "What's a girl like you doin' all the way up here? There's no way you live around here," he started, coming to stand between two trees several feet away from the woman.
     She didn't seem to have been startled at all and just turned to face him, dark eyes boring into his.
     "And why's that? You think I can't make it out here?" She questioned, raising a sharp brow at him.
     "I didn't say that. It's just strange to see others out this far," he shrugged, seeming indifferent. It didn't matter who were you out here. What mattered was that you could survive, and she certainly seemed to be able to handle herself. "What's your name?"
     She didn't seem particularly interested in answering him, and she was quiet for several moments as she looked him over. He almost felt subconscious, knowing that he hadn't shaved in forever and probably looked just as wild as everything else out here. He wasn't quite sure why he cared, he never did before.
The woman dragged her gaze back up to meet his, just the smallest hint of a smile in her eyes. "My name's Lucille."


© 2017 Mika


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on September 4, 2017
Last Updated on September 4, 2017


Author

Mika
Mika

Writing
rough mornings rough mornings

A Chapter by Mika


Daydream. Daydream.

A Chapter by Mika