Chapter Two: Learning How to Walk

Chapter Two: Learning How to Walk

A Chapter by Mike Hyde
"

Eugene reveals a secret that could change everything.

"
Chapter Two: Learning How to Walk

After sleeping for what seemed to have been a few hours, the only thing on my mind was making sure Eugene was still awake, or even alive. I rubbed my eyes, yawned, and stretched my arms out wide. Once I was fully awake, I focused on the task at hand. "Eu... Eugene? Are you still there?" Waiting for a response was almost worst than meeting the sharp end of a sword. Sometimes I feel like I am growing an unhealthy dependency on having someone to speak to, someone to keep me sane.
"Aye, I'm still 'ere. I apologize for earlier, sometimes I just wander off I s'ppose." This time I could sense his honesty. After knowing someone for as long as I've known Eugene, you can tell when they're lying, and when they're not. Even though he was telling the truth this time, there was still something strange in his voice, aside from his newfound sickness. "When I was gone, for those twelve long years..." I was quite surprised that he brought this up on his own, I thought I would eventually have to pry it from him.
"There's something you 'aven't told me, isn't there?" My question unfortunately brought another moments silence. "Eugene?" 
"Yes, yes, I'm still here. Oh dear, it's almost inevitable not to wander off again, my age has surely gotten the best of me." Again, his words arose my own thoughts. Eugene was not old in any way the last time I had heard from him, those twelve long years ago. Those twelve years would usually suffice for an answer to that, but one does not age in Avalon, not anymore. When the kingdom fell, and the everlasting darkness fell upon its grounds, a magical field was erected around it as well; thus, preventing anyone inside from aging, or from dying of any natural cause at all.
"Eugene, what ever do you mean, your age? Surely you did not age whilst beyond the walls of this wretchid place." Hopefully I have not stepped across any boundaries with my questioning. I have my suspicions that he hadn't expected me to remember such things.
"Your memory stands stronger than I had known, which brings me to an impass. There's no use in hiding my previous whearabouts." Eugene finally broke silence in regards to his secrets; although, it seemed like he was disappointed in doing so. "As you know, I used to be a merchant of sorts. I would travel the land, far and wide, and sell magical items to foolish and desperate travelers. Some of these items actually possessed magical powers of sorts. One of those few items was a gem, that upon saying certain incantations, would teleport you out of a bad situation."
Everything started to make sense, but it was still a mystery to me why he had come back to this awful place if he had a way out. "But Eugene, why would you come back here?" I laughed, almost thinking it was comical that one would choose to come back to a place like this. "This place, this hell, is something unimaginable to those who 'aven't set foot upon its grounds. So tell me, Eugene, why?"
"Why? Must you require an answer to every question?" He seemed agitated, which led him into another violent cough, this one lasting merely five whole minutes. "Very well, I might as well give you the satisfaction of knowledge. Before I do, I 'ave a question for you. What am I? What do you see me as, knowing my past of course."
Eugene's question puzzled me. He may have been what some would call a criminal. To me though, through these years of rotting away in a jail cell, he's truly shown me his inner self. Not who he appears to be to his dim-witted customers, but who he appears to be to himself. "I see you as a man. A man that did what he knows best to make a fair living for himself," Almost leaving it at that, I took a pause, but then found myself continuing my answer, "and I see you as a true friend, without you, I would surely have lost my mind by now. This place does things to you, and before your reappearance, I feared that my lust for death, and my curiousity for a life after death, would have led me to a quite sinful deed."
"I wonder what ever would keep a man from ending his own life, after enduring... such mental pain, and such lonesome. It surely boggles my mind. I knew from the moment I met you though, that you were a strong soul," He sighed, almost breaking into a cough again, but held it back this time, as if eager to say something else, "which is exactly what made me come back to this place. I am not as strong as you, and without your lingering company all those years, I most definitely would have made the choice that you yourself cannot make. As happy, and hopeful as it makes me that you're still here, it also saddens me."
"Why is that?" 
"Because, I would never wish this upon my worst enemies, not in a thousand life times. Nevertheless, there is a more important reason I came back to you." This caught my attention above all else, I knew there was something more to his reasoning for coming back. "I suppose I'll just get to it then, I brought something back with me, something that will get us out of these cells." 
These words rang through my head over and over as I tried to determine if I had really heard what was just said. The thought of ever escaping from here was unbelievable. The only thing I could do was sit there and think, but the problem was, I didn't know what to think about. I stopped thinking about escaping years ago, and now that the thought is back, I have no knowledge of what is even on the other side of this door. All those years ago someone threw me in here, in a room with no windows, and no light. 
"I assume the thought of leaving your new home seems quite unreal, but it's true. I can get you out of here, get us out of here. In fact, it could happen within the next five minutes if you'd like." 
No words seemed to be able to escape.  There was just silence, and out of nowhere, a sence of fear. I was once a brave man who could stand up and face any danger that was to be thrown at me. That just wasn't the case anymore, my practically lifeless hands haven't even touched the cold steel of a sword since my imprisonment. These arms are now weaker, and my mind more vulnerable, so how am I supposed to face the unspeakable horrors that await me?
A rattling came from outside of my cell. Is this Eugene, or has someone come to end my suffering. Either way, I'm not sure I'm ready for that door to be open for the first time. The sound continued for awhile, someone must be fiddling with the lock, which leads me to believe it's Eugene on the other side after all. This is really happening, I'm going to stand up, and walk, for the first time in many years. It's almost like a baby, learning to walk for the first time. 


© 2014 Mike Hyde


Author's Note

Mike Hyde
Yet again, another short chapter, *sigh*, but I'm starting to get in the hang of things. Please leave feedback, it would be much appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on March 30, 2014
Last Updated on March 30, 2014
Tags: fantasy, prisoner, jail, mysterious, dark, magical


Author

Mike Hyde
Mike Hyde

MI



About
My name is Michael, I've been writing on and off for a few years now. I mainly enjoy writing fictional pieces. I've never quite finished anything, but I'm hoping I can use this community to help me an.. more..

Writing