Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ms.Miller

   We were sitting in one time some ones yard. Eating someone one's food. We were just trying to survive. We had no idea the world would turn to this. It was just me and my brother. Us against the outbreak. I must say its hard to survive everyday with someone else to care for too. Constantly running low on diapers, wipes, food and water. Let alone shelter. Shelter wasn't easy to come by. Never will be until we get to the safe zone. I never had of thought that i would be 15 and taking care of a kid by myself. Though he's the only family that i got left i just cant lose him. The things we see every day i know are going to scare him for life, but i just cant control what happens.
We were sitting on the grass the sun was shinning high and there was no sounds. No cars, no people, nothing. We've been on our own for about maybe 3 months but 3 months seemed like decades.
"Did you have enough?" I asked Austin.
He shook his head yes.

So i wrapped everything up, put it in my bag and we started walking.
Walking past some of these houses you can tell they were once nice. Now each house either has blood on the front lawn or broken windows. There's never any sign of life. The only signs of death. I swear there's times i think i see the grim reaper but i think i hallucinate a lot. I always make sure Austin is well hydrated and has a full stomach before i decide to eat or drink. He needs it more than i do. We have plenty of food and water for right now, but i try to space it out. Before we left home i made sure i grabbed every sippy cup, baby spoons, food and what he needs to survive. We don't change our clothes at all. I maybe change his once a week if that. Depending on the condition of his clothes. I am so grateful i brought the stroller that has helped a lot. I couldn't imagine carrying him all this way.
We reached a small little town. Its hard to check inside and make sure its clear. But nine times out of ten its never cleared. I banged on the window and nothing happened. So i banged one more time and still nothing. I stuck my head inside and whistled and came back outside. Still nothing. So i wet into the store. Looked very stocked up with food. Though some food was missing. I was going down each aisle to make sure no roamers were around. I refer to them as roamers because thats all they do is roam around. I finally got to the last aisle and didnt see nothing. So i opened my bag and started throwing all cans and water bottles. Thank god for a basket under the stroller cause i wouldn't of been able to carry all that by myself.

I was about to leave until I say something shiny. I went over and noticed it was a crow bar. I took that and walked out. When I got outside the sun was starting to set. I knew I had to find a place for us to stay. I didn’t want to take myself to any houses though their probably empty I don’t want to risk it.We walked until the sun was about to go down when i noticed bar somewhat lit up from inside. I know its risky but i had to take my chances. I walked over and noticed one person was sitting by the tree a few feet away from the bar.
"Hello." I said walking over to the women sitting by the tree.
"What can I do for you?"She asked me while starting to walk closer to me.
"I was wondering if i can stay here with your group for the night. If not its okay."I said standing still getting ready to run at any moment.
"Let me talk to my leader. We usually don't let new comers come into our group but since you have a little one she may let you." She said walking to the barn.
She closed the door behind her as she was walking in the barn. I was standing there next to Austin and telling him everything's going to be okay, that we'll make it. He never says much anymore. He always nods his head yes or no. He was squeezing my hand tight. He's never done that. I just hope he's okay and will start talking again soon. I miss his smiles and his laughter. Though its hard to get laughter out of people now a days.
"Please come in." The a different lady said.
I walked very quickly over to the barn. I was nervous and scared but i knew i just had to get my brother to a safe place. I had no choice but either do this or try to survive a night in the open and i would rather take my chances with this barn.
"Hi I am Lisa. I am the one who runs the group." She said while putting her hand out to shake my hand.
"Ally. This is my brother Austin." I said while shaking her hand.
"Good grip you got there."
She said while letting go and kneeling in front of Austin.
"Well Hello there Austin."
He didn't say nothing but nod.
"Hes been shooken up since the virus has broken out."
"Thanks okay, i am sure he'll talk again soon, But before I can let you in i have a few questions." She said Standing up and facing me.
"Okay."
"Have you been with any other group?"

"No."
"Have you killed any humans?"
"No."
"Do you have any skills?"
"I can build fences, make spears, fish and cook."
"Do you think you will fit in with our group?"
"Probably but I don't really know anything about you."
"Good answer."
She said chuckling.
"I have a question for you."
"Okay lets hear it."
"Do you have a destination to go?"
"No we do not."
"Why not? There's supposed to be a safe zone. Why wouldn't you go there?"
"Sweetie you don't know what goes on out there do you? You havent seen much of those dead people have you? They roam around they find the crowds of people and attack them. One person in our group was at the safe zone in Seattle, but the dead have it taken over."
"So there is no safe zone then?"
"No."
I dropped to my knees and started crying. I should of known better. I should of. There is no hope in this world.
"Why dont you both come inside and we'll talk about it. There's another little girl here that's probably around Austins age that he can play with."
I got up and wiped the tears from my eyes and pushed Austin in the barn. 
I entered the barn and there was 4 people in there not including Lisa and the woman that was standing by the tree. I took Austin out of the stroller and sat him down on my lap. He was looking hungry so i took out corn and spoon fed him.
"how long have you been out there by yourself?" A man asked.
"Probably 3 months when it first started."
"Just you two?"
"Not at first."
"What happened to the rest of your people?"



© 2015 Ms.Miller


Author's Note

Ms.Miller
The end of the chapter. Ignore grammar and other problems. Not the best with my words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on April 7, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2015


Author

Ms.Miller
Ms.Miller

NJ



About
I am 22, a stay at home mom. I am a mother to a toddler son. I am married to a wonderful husband. more..

Writing