Chapt.2

Chapt.2

A Chapter by Misa

 

            I wake up in my empty bedroom looking up at the ceiling.    It's 6am and I'm already late.  Great.  I jump out of bed and pull on my uniform.  I walk over to get my bag and the pleated skirt swishes against my legs uncomfortable.  Hmph.  I snatch my iPod and head downstairs. 

            I open the heavy oak door and step out onto the porch.  I smell the fresh pine sent and look out at the forest that surrounds my home.  I just want to look at it forever.  I turn my head and look at the single cherry blossom tree and I see him.  The red head.  I take one step toward him and he c***s his head and looks at me.  I stare at him for a second and look down at my cell for the time.  When I look back up he's gone.  Oh man I have to be delusional. 

            I walk to my car.  The crunch of the gravel under my feet irritates me and then I step onto the soft carpet of my car.  I stick my keys in the ignition and speed out leaving a trail of dust behind me.   This time I drive the speed limit as I go the entire 10 miles to the school.  Too close for comfort.

            I press my radio and turn my second iPod on.  The soothing melodic voice fills the car.  Who knew Death Cab for Cutie would sooth me?

            I turn into the black iron gates and see the many hustling kids stretch out in front of me.  They all watch the car as I speed into the front and park my car.  I grab my bag and step out.  “Kara,” Aiden says smiling as he runs over to me.  “Hey.” I half smile back. 

            “You know this isn't where you park right?” He says laughing.

            “Yep.  I know.  Let's go explore the grounds, hmm?  I'm sure my father doesn't expect us to attend classes until we know every yard of this place by heart.  You can't learn unless you know your environment” I smile, making excuses. 

            “Yeah well.  Anythings better than going to class.”

            “True that.  Well come on.  I better start showing you stuff.” I say grabbing his hand and walking off towards the vast double doors in a french style.  We walk into the history building of the school that also holds my fathers office.

            “So your Dad designed this place?”

            “No.  My mom did. She built it for the future generations.  She said the vampire world needed a place where our future generations could learn peacefully in a loving environment.  A lot of the vampires here come from all over the world.  That's why we also have a dormitory in the back and a 3 full kitchens.  A lot of them stay year round.  I don't understand why they would want to.” I babble.

            “Hmm.  Maybe they feel safe here.  It almost feels when you come in here it's like a magically lining seperates us.  Like a padded world I suppose” Aiden says.  Quick kid I think to myself.

            “Well there is a reason for that.  There's a coven of witches in a town over.  They decided to help us if we kept them safe.  So we do.”

            “Fair enough trade.” Aiden walks over and sits on one of the couches.  He leans his head back and closes them.  I smile.  My smile is shattered by a familiar voice; “Karrraaaa” I hear yelled..  I spin around and see him.  Kale. Kale is a six foot tall, black haired boy who carries off a mysterious aura.  Kale graciously carries himself by wearing semi-tight jeans, converse, a black dress shirt with the top 3 buttons unbuttoned.  His hair is straightened to perfection that makes any hair stylist weep because it's so gorgeous. All human girls are mesmerized by his chiseled bone structure and mysterious dark eyes like flies are to a light.  They get burned.  Behind Kale's long eye lashes and black eyes of death is a cold hearted player.  I just so happen to call him my twin. “What?” I snap.

            “Don't be such a little b***h Kara.  I was only greeting you.” he barks.

            “Don't be such an annoying brat Kale.  I was only answering you.” I say in the same tone.

            “Ouch.  Yes that stung.  Anyway.  Father wants to see you.  Seems like you're in a little mess.” he laughs mildly.

            “Oh?  And that's funny Kale?” I lean in and say, “Don't make me tell daddy about your late night...exploiting of your fan club.  I'm sure he wouldn't approve.” I lean back and smile softly.  My eyes stay cold.

            “Tell him.  I'm sure he'd approve more of that than your new diet of not following the rules.  But of course, he's not going to know is he?” My mouth purses in a straight line.  Always the little rat.

            “No.  But don't be a fool Kale.” I say calmly.

            “I'm not.  I'm just being honest.  Anyway.  Be sure to tell Aiden about my little parties.  I'm sure he'd enjoy them just as I do.  I mean, what honest to god man doesn't like a bit of late night wrestling.” He winks.  I cringe in disgust.

            “Good bye Kale.” I say and walk off to my fathers office.  I look over to the couch where Aiden was and he's not there.  I sigh and look down at my feet and walk off.

            As I walk I feel an arm stretch out in front of me stopping me like a brick wall.  “What party?” Aiden asks.

            “Oh you know.  The usual.” I lie.

            “Oh?  Because wrestling is always the usual” he smiles.  I blush and shake my head.

            “You heard that bit...” I blush.

            “What is it?” he presses.

            “It's my brothers sex party if you must know.  He gets human girls and they basically have a huge orgy with other vampire boys.  Happy?” I say coldly. 

            “Hmm.  Well.” he says looking as if he's considering.

            “You aren't actually considering it are you?” I say baffled.

            “Well of course not.  I'm too much of gentlemen,” he puts his hand to his chest and bows, “and anyway.  Why would I want to be with human girls if I have my eyes on a vampire one?  Hmm?  Doesn't add up.” he says. 

            “Oh?  Well who is she then?” I say crossing my arms over my chest.  Truly interested.

            “Oh just someone.  I'm sure you know her.” he whispers in my ear and walks off.   I stand in the middle of the short hall in awe. I lean against the wall and change my mind about visiting my father.  I turn around and climb the mahogany stairs to the nearest history classroom.  When I hear a soft strong musically voice lecture to a class I'm completely enthralled.  So I sit at the edge of the door and listen to what the young teacher storms on about;

 

            “Vampires.  What we all are.  We've been here since the dawn of time.  Before humans, although humans would like to believe they were specially created.  They weren't.  Our God Leon created us for one soul purpose, to equally balance the world created by the Goddess Isis.  Goddess Isis created a gorgeous world where careless humans walked about.  Leon created us to balance them out.  Become the balance in life. . .” the teacher droned on until a voice asked a question; “Why do we crave blood?”


            “Well Solomon, we crave human blood.  Like I said, we were created for balance.  So why do we crave human blood specifically?  To be their hunter.  To evenly balance the population.”

            “So...if we're the balance.  Then why do hunters hunt us?”, young Solomon asked.  The teacher was stunned by the question and didn't answer.  After a long moment the classroom became an uproar in frustration between students trying to explain their idea on why.  All of the frustration gave me a headache.  I lowered my head, walked into the classroom and sat on the corner of the teachers desk.  She looked startled and gravely confused.  Obviously this question wasn't in her booklet;

            “They were created because we grew cocky.  Simple enough.  Happy answer, kid?”  I snap.

            “No.  What did we do?” he snapped back.  The kid Solomon has soft brown blonde hair and big blue eyes.  He was determined for any answer to his liking.  Although I probably wouldn't give him what he was searching for.

            “We tried to eat the town of Rey.  Two teenagers survived.  They devoted the rest of there life to hunting us.  Revenge.  After many centuries they evolved.  Evolved to destroy us easier.” I say calmly.

            The blue eyed Solomon eyed me as if I was bullshitting him, “and how do you know this?”

            “I read,”

            “Who are you?” His voice strained to mark me wrong.

            “Solomon!”  The teacher snapped, “This is Kara.  The daughter of the Court de Lereon's King.  The headmaster!”  the class broke out in gasps.  I rolled my eyes.

            “Hey kids.  It's not that big of a deal.  Any other questions?” I smirk at Solomon.  He scowls in frustration.

            “Then why are there witches?  And why do they hate us?”  He challenges.

            My answer is easy, “Witches created themselves.  Just as hunters did, although the God's didn't give them powers...they just evolved over time.  Like humans evolved, well sort of.  They practiced loving the Gods and doing spells to help better there lives.  The God's and Goddess's finally granted them with powers.  Simple, but useful powers.  And they simply hate us because we started The Witch Trials.”           

            “How did we do that?” he emphasized the word we.

            “Well.  Witches were already made skeptics by humans.  We made it worse.  A girl named Sofia Quinn walked into a colony on the east coast one cold morning.  She went to the nearest store, she was thirsty.  Her eyes had not yet flashed to a burning violet of her kin.  When she walked in her eyes were pitch black, when she went to go ask the shop owner a simple question her eyes shifted.  The owner gasped and the vampire rushed out of the store.  The shop owner rushed after and yelled, “Witch!  Witch!” it was quite ridiculous if you ask me.  And there's more to the story kid, but I only will say the cliff notes version.” I wink at Solomon.

            The young boy looks at me flustered, “if you know so much, why aren't you our teacher then?” he puts pressure on the world 'you'.  The teacher looks shocked at the boy and darts a gasp at me.

            “Kid, I'm like sixteen.  I go here.  And anyway, it's not my job.  It's Miss Radclaw's, isn't it?”  I flash the first year teacher a soft smile.

            Solomon purses his lips, “Why aren't you in class, then?”

            “Solomon!  That's enough, this is a classroom and a conversation between you and Miss Karaliana isn't quite as important...sorry” she looks at me in worry. 

            “No, it's quite all right.  I shouldn't have interrupted.  And it's Kara by the way.” I smile and stroll out of the class room.  Once again with all eyes on me.  I look around in the hall way, left and right.  No body is even walking around.  This is nothing like a human school.  At my mortal high school the halls were tiled linoleum and chipping.  They were a color of spoiled milk with golden flecks splattered all over.  The hall ways had metal lockers sprawled on the sides and painted a deep navy blue...also chipping.  All of the white painted walls were covered in school spirit posters, club posters no one goes to, upcoming events, and whatever else they decided to tack up.  The school was lit with mediocre lighting that on good days didn't matter because of the sun, and on most days we're dark and dreary.  As pathetic as that school was, it was a hell of a lot more friendlier than this one.

            Court de Lereon Academy is gorgeous.  I'll admit it, the designer did a good job.  You drive into the huge metal gates and into a rounded drive way that turns into the parking lot.  The front has a water fountain with Cupid and angels.  The building you first see is white and big.  It's trimmed with gold and the double mahogany doors open into an all oak wood floor, stair case, and wood banister.  All of the school building has expensive wood through out and the desks the students sit at are the best.  They're made of a rich cherry wood, and are shaped exactly like normal high school desks.  But the chair is padded and lined with a rich purpled egyptian cotton. 

            Unlike the mortal high schools cafeteria with mockery tables with attached seating, Court de Lereon's is superb.  Our cafeteria has four silver ruby and emerald encrusted chandeliers that light the tables.  All of the tables are made out of glass and titanium metal.  We eat on glass plates with gold lining and pure white gold dining ware.  The dormitory, for the students outside of Lereon's boundaries who belong to another court, stay in a one room, one bathroom apartment on the west side of the campus.  Each room has a Queen sized bed, a desk and an iMac, and lush black carpet.  The students get a choice of bedding, in which they order from a website.  An emblum of the school is on each bed spread.  Each student staying in the facility customizes their own room.  Their way.  My mother, who created this school, wanted everyone to be comfortable, considering when they come hear in pre-k and stay until 12th grade and or stay for college, they must be comfortable.  Lereon only holds the best.  Nothing less.

            I look down at me feet, at the rich wood that spreads out across the vast space.  I try and choke back the thought that my mother created this...that, she did it for me and I didn't want it.  I didn't want any of it.  I still don't want it.  Anything to do with the Courts sickens me.  I don't understand why, but being a vampire to me is revolting. 

            Having to go so low to feed on a living thing.  Pathetic.  No matter if we were created for it, it was dispicable.  It was none sense.  I cringe.  Why did they pick me?   I could have grown up as a human for 16 years.  Instead I was turned into a blood sucking, cold skinned vampire.  I predator.  I hunter.

            I think back to what Quintin told me about the Drifters.  Ridiculous.  As much as I liked peace, but with hunters?  With people who live and strive to kill my kind?  I could never live in peace with them.  I'd rather be a vampire than give in to the likes of them.  How he could even think I would possible do that.  I don't understand.

            I shake my head mercifully and start walking down the empty hallway.  My steps, which should make a slight echo, move like a cat.  Silent.  I keep walking and as I walk I rub my temples to get rid of the slight migraine that begins to build.  I can feel my muscles slightly relax and my mind go numb to get rid of the shooting pain in my left lobe.  As I keep rubbing my temples the pain decreases and I sigh relief as I start walking down the stair case.  I tug my rich purple vest down and totter off to my fathers office.

             I feel as if I'm walking to the gallows.  I can feel the noose wrapping around my neck, the rope brushing against my skin in utter irritation.  I feel it.  Waiting for my feet to let go of the hard wood floor under me, waiting to feel my neck break from the tension.  I take a breath and walk into my fathers office.  All hope is lost.

            “Sit” I hear immediately when I turn the bronze door knob.  I do obediently as he says.  I don't even stumble or hesitate to sit in the leather chair.  I just do as I'm told and maybe my convictions won't be so brutal;

 

            “Kara, did you show Aiden around?” my father says.  His eyes looking as if to test me while I stand on a plank over the black sea.

            “Of course.  Well I showed him part of it.  Kale interrupted me.”

            “Oh.  Well, is he settled?” My father asks.

            “I suppose.  Is this why I was called in here?  About Aiden?”

            “Yes, of course.  Why else?” He asks looking at my strangely.  My stomach churns.  That rotten little brat.  Oh I'll light him on fire.  Even worse, I'll feed him to the dogs.

            “Oh.  I don't know.  Just curious.” I tilt my gaze down to my hands.  I look back up at him , and by chance I utter something;

            “About Kale...”

            “Oh Kara.  Please don't try and get your brother in trouble.”

            “I know.  But he's been fornicating with girls.  Human girls” I press the word human, enhancing each syllable.  I know one thing my father hates more than anything.  Humans.  My fathers eyes smolder in heat.

            “Really?  Kara,  when you see your brother tell him I'd like to see him.  We have things to discuss.  You're dismissed.”  I nod briefly and walk out in triumph.  I could hear the anger trying to be drowned out in my fathers voice.  Now I'm aching to hear my brothers punishment. 

            I walk out into the hall way and skip out the front doors to my car.  As soon as I exit and hit the stairs leading down to my car and I hear a quick witted voice yell at me;

            “Yo, Kara.  You goin' to the bash, girl?  It's gonna be bad a'!” I turn around to see Cameron walking up to me.  Cameron is a tall medium build fellow with disheveled dirty blonde hair and soft big blue eyes that make his pasty white complexion look soft.  His face is softly structured and has a touch of innocence.  Behind him lugs Derek.  Derek is a 6'2 dark chocolate brown boy with honey colored eyes that stand out against his perfect skin like an eclipse in dusk.  His hair is buzzed closed to his scalp and his mouth is always tilted in a semi-smile that shows off his luscious lips.  He is but perfection.  His cheek bones are high and look as if he's a God in the burning sun. 

            “I don't know.  Maybe,” I say biting my lip and looking at Cameron.

            “Well you should.  It's gonna be bad a*s.  That new guy, Adam or whatever is coming.” He says, his blue eyes boring into me for an answer.”

            “You mean Aiden.  And I suppose I could come.  It's not like I have anything planned” I say none chalantly.

            “Aiden-Adam whatever.  We have fresh blood tonight” Cameron winks.

            “That's just great,” I hold down a gag that is stuck in my throat, “so uh, have you seen Kale?”

            “No, the last time I saw him he had a girl draped on each side of him.  I'm assuming freshmen” he rolls his eyes.

            “I'm all for lots of girls, but new ones every day.  It's a bit ridiculous” Derek chimes in.  As soon as he says that Rashel strides up to him and loops her arm through his.  Rashel is tall with model long legs.  She has beach chocolate brown curls that move around her like a Goddess out of a painting.  Her skin is the color of honey and crème and her eyes twinkle a serene blue-gold.

            “All for lots of girls?” She says cocking her head up toward Derek and looking at him forcefully.  Almost like a 'how dare you say that' gaze. Derek takes his free arm and turns towards her and wraps it around her waist.

            “Oh baby I was just kidding.  You know I don't want any girl but you.” He says leaning down and kissing her softly.  Man does she got him whipped.   Rashel leans into me and whispers;

            “Have you seen that new boy.  May I just say de-li-cious.” she giggles and Derek looks at her saddened.

            “Oh babe, you know you're the only boy for me.” She soothes and kisses him a little less descrete than should have been.  My body hums.  Aiden.  Every girl is in love with him.  I just wonder which vampire Goddess he wants. 

            “Hey as fun as this is.  I have to go.  I'll see ya'll at the bash.  Ok?” I ask walking away.

            “Okay, girl.  Better get your hands on that Aiden kid before any of the other girls do.  They're moving in fast!” Rashel yells.  And I'm sure they are.  I'm not a bit worried about what Aiden does and who he does it with.  It's none of my business and I don't plan on dibbing him like he's some pair Jimmy Choo's in a mall.  I brush off Rashel's remark and make my way to my car.   I hear jogging foot steps behind me and ignore them as I unlock my car.   “Hey,” it yells and then grabs my shoulder to pull me around.   I blink surprise and take in the person.  Aiden.

            “Yeah?”  I say.

            “You going to the bash?”  He asks.  His eyes wondering.

            “I think so.  Why?”  I press.

            “Well.  Because it wouldn't be much fun with out you,” he gleams a genuine smile at me,

            “well, and I was wondering if you'd go with me.”  I catch my breath.  Like a date?  I question myself.

            “I don't really know how to get there so you could show me or whatever.” He says pushing his hands, tussling his hair.

            “Oh,” My voice sounds almost dissapointed, “yeah sure” I smile.  Catching myself.

            “Actually.  Do you want to just come home with me?  I can just drive you there.”  I ask.

            “Yeah, why not?”  He walks over to the other side of the car and gets in.  I get in and slam the door and as soon as I rev the engine my car unleashes loud music. 

            “You listen to Bring Me The Horizon?”  He asks.  Cocking his head to my stereo.

            “Yeah.  But only when I need to drown my thoughts.  Some times they're just a bit to loud for me” I laugh.

            “I met the screamer at a show.”

            “Yeah?” I keep my eyes on the road.

            “His dad isn't too proud of him.” Aiden states.

            “Oh and why not?”

            “Well he has to be a model for The Court of Sigh.”  I catch my breath at his answer.  Oliver Sykes is a vampire?  Weird how I of all people didn't know.

            “He's a vampire?”  I ask stupidly.

            “Yeah.  All of him and his mates are.  They make music for the dead.”  Aiden laughs at the term.

            “Well.”

            “Well what?” 

            “Well nothing”  I say as I keep my eyes glued to the road. 

            “Well.  What does your house look like?  I assume you aren't living in the same one from the last time I saw you” he says smiling.

            “You'll see.  And no I'm not.  I got away from my fathers cold home as soon as I could count to five.”
            He laughs, “Why do you dislike him so?” 

            My throat clenches. “It's just.  He's cold.”  I say.  Not an entire lie.

            “Is that it?” He questions.

            “Are you a social service worker or am I just paranoid?”  I laugh and bite my lip.

            He smiles his brilliant smile, “Maybe.”

            “Oh.  Then you aren't getting a word from me Mr.  Social Service Worker”  I half smile and pull into my gravel drive way.  I park square in front of my slate blue-gray victorian styled home.  The house is three stories, not counting the cellar or the attic, and has a wrap around balcony that could make any scenario romance like a rose blooming.  It has a towering tower and the top and windows that look out into the lush green forest that surrounds my home.  This is the place that only I and a few others flee to to get away from the world around us.  I, Liliana, Georgina, Brighten, and Ash live here.  All of us trying not to live in the gated school of Lereon.  Liliana is like me, a citizen of Court de Lereon with golden blonde hair and startling natural violet eyes.  Luckily her eyes stay violet and her smile blooms into a gut wrenching jealous affair. 

            Georgina is a small whips of a girl with a tuff of wispy strawberry blonde curls on her hair that match her gold eyes.  She is a earth shattering 5'1 and petite.  Her fairy like features make her look whimsical and young but still wise, she belongs to the Court of Sylvine with a thick Russian accent.  Brighten is a 5'11, medium build dirty blonde.  His brown eyes will discretely lurk in a almost weird but comfortable manner and is Georgina's older brother, also with a deep Russian accent.  Ash, who isn't a vampire at all but a witch child.  He belongs to the coven of Witchester.  A group of witches that are allies with the coven of vampires.  Ash is tall and has hair the color of a field of wheat.  His eyes are the color of a starry night and are full of anguish.  Ash isn't the coziest boy in the world, but he has reasons to stay away. 

            I look at Aiden take in my house.  “So this is it”  I smile.

            “It's gorgeous.”

            “Thanks.  I picked it out.  It was just forgotten, and I fell in love.”  I laugh.

            “I can see why”  he says as he steps out of the car.  I also get out of the car and head to my porch steps.  I can hear the gravel crunch behind me as he follows in the same steps of me.  I rush up the steps and open the big oak door.  It opens to a house with hard cherry wood flooring and an old charm you would only find in a museum.  I walk in and Aiden follows, he closes the door behind him and he walks behind me as I walk up the big broad stairway.  My hand slides up the banister seamlessly and I walk into my tidy intolerable bedroom.  My rooms is dark, with the only light coming in through the black-red curtains.  My room is barely empty,  against the wall is a hard wood vanity and a mirror lining the wall.  Besides it is a towering king sized bed with black linens and blood red pillows.  There's a deep red chair in the right corner and straight ahead of me is a dresser that holds an iPod dock on top of it.  I clear my throat;

            “So this is my room”  I say and I go sit on my bed. 

            “It's...dark”  Aiden says.  Eyes gleaming.

            “Yeah I know”  I smile. 

            “Why?”

            “Dunno.  Guess I just like dark things.”  I say faking a yawn.  Aiden comes and sits next to me and I feel the bed move as it fits him.  I can feel his essence beside me and it tingles my skin.

            “What are the bashes like?”  Aiden asks, interrupting my sudden thoughts.

            “Um, well.  They're fun,  I guess if it's your thing.  You go in, and drink.”  I state.  Looking down.

            “Usually someone makes it a game.  And there's always lust in the air, not just blood lust.  It's sexual.  I'm not going to lie.  It's got a thick erotic air, it makes you gasp and try and bring forth your instincts from the age of time.”  I say, catching words in my throat.

            “I'm not sure if I like it.”  I say.

            “Well, it sounds interesting.”  He says, his eyes show that he's in his own world.

            “What were they like in Scotland?”  I ask.

            “I didn't go.”  He gets up and walks to the window.

            “Why not?”  I walk over to him.

            “It wasn't my thing in Scotland.  At least not where I was.”  his voice sounds saddened.

            “Oh.  Well why not?”

            “You don't 'party' with royals.”  He says, sighing.

            “Oh.  That sounds, lonely.”  I reach for him.

            “It's fine.  You just had to make the best of it.  Kara.  What happened to your mum?”  He asks, now looking at me.  Changing the subject abruptly.

            I take in my room and the words he's saying.  My mother.  The one being that made me feel as if this damned curse was okay.  The one person that made it okay, that made it so it wasn't so cursed.  Wasn't so lonely. 

            “She, a hunter...” I trail off.  He grabs my hand and holds it tenderly.  He knows exactly what I said with out the fragile words echoing the air.

            “I'm sorry.”  He cups my face and pulls me closer to him.

            I lean against his chest, “Do you ever wonder why our parents chose us?  Random children that were us?  We could have been human!”  I say.  My voice saddened.  In Vampire genetics it's impossible to have children.  You can get pregnant but the children always die.  Essentially our body parts are dead, but not completely.  Drinking human blood sustains reproduction organs to send hormones pulsating through our body.  To make our auras erotic, essentially.  We can't have children because even though we're partially alive, our bodies can't sustain bearing another being.  A being that's half.  It's impossible.  Vampires turn children.  No older than thirteen and no younger than an hour old.  Vampire children age as regular children, just with blood lust.  We age to the designated age of seventeen.  Then we stop for about four hundred years, and then we age again to thirty six for about ten thousand.  We aren't even immortal.  We just live for a long time. 

            “Every day.”  He says soothing my hair down with his hand.  I lean away from him and look into his startling soft green eyes.  Eyes that fill me with warmth.  Eyes that make me feel as light and joyous as a cloud.  I learn in and so does he, our lips almost touching.  Energy swarms between us, magnetic feelings build us to come closer.  To touch.  For our lips to melt into one.  But with all the energy I break free.  Not sure if I want to but I do anyways.  I break free and look down at my feet.  I see Aiden's arms linger at his sides.

            My breath is quick, “We better, um, get going...” I say as I look toward the door. 

            “Yeah, ok.” He says and looks at me softly.  His mouth lifts into a soft smile but his eyes are sad, like he was close to touching a star, only to find that is was still light years away. 

 

We drive into a dark drive way.  I park behind another car and step out, ignoring Aiden.  Trying to shake off my embarrassing act.  I look around at my surroundings and one last time I see him.  The red head.  This time I know I'm not dreaming it and I know I'm not playing tricks on myself.  I ignore Aiden's steps as he goes inside.  Not even waiting for me.  That's fine.  I walk towards the boy and he turns and walks off.  I keep walking.  Trailing him like a cat trails a mouse.  Careful, deliberate steps.

            The boy walks into the misty forest and I follow after.  I follow him lone enough to see the trees start to fall away and a field spread out in front of us.  The same field I went to take photos with Aiden.  The same field I saw him in.  The boy stops. 

            “Who are you”  I whisper.  My voice uneasy.  He doesn't respond.  He only turns around and looks at me.  His soft red hair falls around his face and brown soft eyes peer at me.  Warm and inviting.  I take a step further and look at him.  He's small with creamy white skin.  His arms are sprinkled with freckles and his perfect round mouth is fixed into a sensuous mold.  His facial expression is confused yet curious.  I repeat myself; “Who are you?”  this time I'm surprised to hear his soft voice speak.  Just a hint of Brooklyn New York accent still traceable.

            “I'm Nick.”  He says.  Staring straight at me.

            I take in a deep  breath, “Nick.” I repeat.  I take a step back and he takes a step forward.  I'm surprised about his acts.

            “I've dreamt about you.”  He says.  He looks as surprised as I do at the fact he just told me.  A scarlet blush paints across his creamy white face.  It reaches his eyes and he looks down.  I take a step forward and grab his hand.  I immediately let go.

            “I'm sorry”  I say.  He only shakes his head.

            “No.  Don't be” He smiles.

            “Why are you following me?”

            “I don't know.”  His voice is as innocent as a weeping willow.

            “I saw you.  Outside of my school, I mean.  My Human school.  In a group...”

            “I'm a Drifter.”  He states.  Not even a gentle stutter has he tells me this fact. 

            “Oh” I don't let my voice hide my building agitation.

            “Have you come to recruit me because if you have it won't work.”  My teeth clench.

            “No I didn't”  the honesty from his voice spills over like a wave of salty water.

            I suck in the air, “then why are you here?  Right now, right here?”  my question lingers in the air for a few brief moments.

            “Because I had to meet you.  I just-I just couldn't stay away.”  I catch a gasp in my throat.

            He grabs my hand a spark echoes through me, “I'm sorry if I've scared you.  I didn't mean to.  I just, thought you weren't real.  I mean I saw you in the field that day, with that boy.  And I was just jealous, I thought it was a ridiculous joke.  Then I saw you again.  Walking to your car.  Oh god I sound like a stalker.”  He says and drops my hand and digs his head into him palms.  Embarrassed.

            “It's okay.  You don't-I mean you do sound like a stalker.  But it's not like I couldn't take you if you were one trying to kill me”  I laugh lightly.  Trying to let his mood lift.  How could I possible want to make this human boy feel better?  He's been stalking me and all I want to do is make him feel less guilty! Oi Vay!

            He moves his hand and messes his hair up, “Any way.  I'm Nick Riccardi.” He reaches his hand towards mine.  I take it and shake it.

            “I'm Kara.  Kara Lereon.”  I say and smile.  His face goes rigid.

            “What's wrong?”  I ask.

            “You're...you're”  he doesn't finish his sentence but he doesn't have to.  I turn to the side and look up to the moon.

            “I know.  I'm Karaliana Lereon.  Princess of Court de Lereon.  Princess of the Court of Vampires.  Your point?”  I ask and stare at him blankly. 

            He looks at me, “and you don't care that I'm well,” he looks down at himself, “human?!” his eyes look at me softly.

            A soft laugh escapes me.  “Me?  Care?  Then you obviously have no idea who I am.”  I laugh carelessly.

            “What do you mean?”  His soft brown eyes bore into me.

            “I mean I want to BE human.”  I say laughing.

            “You what?!”

            I look at him and frown, “Never mind.” I start to walk away.

            He grabs my hand, “Wait.”

            “Look I have to get back...” I look down at the grass.

            “When can I see you again?”  His eyes search for an answer.

            I think, “tomorrow.  Six A.M. no sooner no later.  Ok?”

            “Ok.”  he lets go of my hands and I walk out of the foggy forest.  I walk over sticks and roots wondering what just went over.  I roll over the scene that just happened into my mind like a silent movie.  Playing over and over.  Soon I escape the woods and see the giant house covered in lust.  I go inside.

            The house is suffocating with the blood lust in the air.  I try and stop my throat from icing over.  Trying to dull the pain and then I see Aiden.  He's leaning over a small blue eyes blonde girl.  His eye lashes fluttering and his eyes seducing in there red color.   A green rage fills me and I walk over to a caramel colored boy right next to them.  He looks at me.  I change my eye color and shift into feeding mode. 

            “Hey there” his deep voice rolls over me.

            “Hey back I say.”  I can feel Aiden's eyes on my back.  I lean against the wall cooly.

            He brushes my cheek with his fingers, “What's your name, hun?”

            “I'm Kara” I say as I lean into him.  I fill my voice with lust.

            “I'm Dominic.”  He says sweetly.

            I lick my lips and look back discretely.  Aiden's staring at me.  Well if he's gonna watch let's give him a show. 

            “May I?”  I say as I look at Dominic's pulsing neck.  He nods and turns his head back so I can drink.  I cradle his face and pull it toward me and I look at his neck.  I feel his skin brush my lips and I lick.  Sooner then later I bite.  Dominic moans deeply as his blood runs down my throat.  He groans again and wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me in.  I drink more.  I can feel Dominic's growing bulge and I can feel his body erupt into spasms.  And soon enough I break free from him.  His arm continues to latch onto me.  “Come on baby.  More.  Or should we continue this upstairs?”  I laugh.  I lick the last drop of blood off his neck and push him off. 

            “Drop dead.”  I say and walk off.  I see Aiden eyeing me and ignoring the blonde.  Just staring in awe.  He wanted a show I gave him one.  I go and sit on the leather couch.  I look around at the dark room, my body  pulsating with the guys blood.  My stomach churning as I watch the sexual wave in the room pick up a level or two.  “What was that back there?”  I hear.  Interrupting my thoughts.

            “What so ever do you mean?”  I say sweetly.

            He rolls his eyes, “You know very well.”

            I look at him sharply, “Oh please.  You've been here a whopping two days.  I can't possible know.”

            “Don't be stupid” he whispers.  What is he possible talking about. 

            “Whatever.”  I fold my arms.

            He looks at me tenderly, “Kara...you have to know.”

            “What is your damage, Aiden?  I fed.  That's it.”  I glare.

            He walks away and yells, “You know very well!”  and he storms out the door.  I sit on the couch, anger rising when I feel someone sit next me.

            “Well what was that about?”  I hear Kale say.  I look over at him and his arms are spread out over the couch head.

            “What do you want?”  I glare.  Noticing he doesn't have any w****s hanging on him.  I give him a questionable look.

            “Just to talk, geez.  And I have no girls because a boy gets tired.  If that's what that look was about.”  He eyes me.

            “Oh.  Good god you're sick, man.”

            “I know.” he smiles.

            “So?”

            “You know you're an idiot right?”

            “Excuse me?”  I say sharply. 

            “Aiden,” he c***s his head toward where he left.

            “What do you mean?” I look at him and raise an eye brow.

            He sighs, “Dude, that kid has been in love with you since you were about four.  I thought you were smarter than that.”  I ignore him.  He's just playing with me.

            “Whatever, Kale.” I say, eyes rolling and hands waving him off.  He shrugs his shoulders and gets up and off the couch.  I watch him leave and I sit there and glare at the wall for a few moments until some idiotic human walks up to me and asks for me to 'play' with him. 

            I walk across the room and slam the door shut on the way out.  Who do these little boys think they are?  First this mysterious Nick telling me he's dreamed about me like some bad actor from Days of Our Lives, then Aiden acting like I should know why feeding bothers him so, and then Kale telling me it's obvious!  Ugh!  I don't belong to Witchester.  I mean, I'm not a witch!  God forbid I have a hard time seeing invisible things. 

            I storm off to my car and slam the door shut.  Making sure every vampire who's making out and doing disturbing things knows just how pissed I am.  I sit in my car and look at the dash board.  I can feel my eyes delicately coated with liquid.  Crying is my weakness when I get mad.  I can't help it, it just makes me look weak!  I grip my hand and ball them into fists.  I squeeze tight, even though I can't feel pain, it stopped the tearing that was starting up in my eyes.  After my eyes are done and I start to relax I realize I'm still at the house.  By this time the bash is full and packed with humans and vampires alike.  As  I look up toward the door I see Aiden walking back in.  Obviously he wasn't upset anymore, or just doesn't care.  I stare at the door and he turns around and glares at me.  But the anger doesn't reach his eyes.  His eyes still shine a brilliant soft green.  A green so much he looks as if in pain.  My chest tightens and I feel bad for whatever I have done.  Although I still don't know.

            Before I get caught up in mixed feelings I speed out of the drive way and to my house.  I best not show Aiden he's won.  My competitiveness is my weakness.  I drive loosly down the pitch black road.  It curves sharply and I easily drive it.  I press my gas pedal down and speed up 120 down the windy, curvy black road.  I can briefly see trees whooshing around me in black green blurs.  I don't pay attention to the road as I do to the minutes replaying in my head.  Those minutes feel like hours.  Very very long hours.

            I sigh and pull in my drive way.  I hear the gravel rushing out from under my tires.  I park and slam the door and run up into my house. As I'm about to go up to the door a soft hand grabs my arm and pulls me back.  I stumble down the stairs;

            “Hey!”  I say aggitated from the sudden tug.

            “You okay?”  Ash looks at me, his eyes boring into mine.

            I rub my arm, “I'm perfectly fine.  Sheesh.  What's it to you?”  I glare.

            “Kara,  I was just wondering.  And plus Aiden called the house wondering if you were here.  I thought you two left together?”  His words trample on top of me, searching for the truth in my mind. 

            I press my lips together, “Nothing happened.  I just-he got upset.  I left early.  And please, Ash, stay out of my head.”

            “Sorry, and okay.  Well anyway, you got this letter.” he shoves a tan colored envelope toward me.

            I grab it, “Who's it from?”

            “Dunno.”  He walks away from me and leaves me by the stairs.  I look down at the envelope and open it.  Inside in messy scrawl reads;

            “Kara,

                        It's Quintin.  I need to talk to you.  I understand the way I handled thinks weren't exactly great, but come on kid, we need to talk. ASAP.  It's about someone important. 

                        Field 7am?

                                                I hope                                                            

                                                                                    -Q”

 

I crumple the piece of paper up and throw it into the corner of the room.  Hastily I stalk up my stairs and crash into my bedroom.

 

            I wake up and stare at my ceiling and look over to my clock.  It blinks a disasterous hour of 6:50 AM.  I groan.  7 is looming in on me quick and I won't go.  I just won't meet him there.  I mean he's a Drifter.  An out law.  Forbidden and breaking every law.  Why in the world would I want to meet him?

            I sigh, because he's just been my best friend since forever.  That's why.  I get up and drag my heavy feet across the oak floors.  I grab my black jacket and button the heavy buttons up and tie the black ribbon to it around my waste tightly.  I shove my hands into my pocket, well I best get this over with.

            I walk down stairs and retrieve the crumpled paper and smooth it out.  Hmph.  “Want me to come?”  I hear said from behind me.

            “No thanks, Ash.  It's fine.” I say as I walk out the door.

            “If you need anything, you know what to do.” Ash says as I close the door and walk to the field.  It's cold and damp outside.  The gravel is coated with a rain drops and the sky is smothered with ghastly gray clouds.  Not a color of life around me besides the green lush of ever green.  How dooms day like. 

            I decide to flash to the field.  I get there in the nick of time and around me I don't see anything besides sad forests and a sullen wheat field.

            “Kara!”  I hear yelled through the field.

            I spin around, “Quint?”

            “Over here silly.”  He giggles.

            I turn around and spot him, “Hey” I say sharply. With him, surprisingly, is Nick.  I'm dumb struck at the sight of him.

            “Thanks for coming.  This is Nick.  He's also a Drifter.” Quintin smiles softly.

            “Yeah.  So what do you want?”

            “To the point I see. Well, I know this isn't right of me to ask this of you.  But I would like, I mean we, would like you to join us.” 

            I lift up one eye brow and smile at him, “You want me to join The Drifters?”

            “How insane can you be?  You might as well ask my father for alliance with The Clan!” I laugh.

            “It really isn't that funny, Kara.” Quintin says, his voice weak.

            “You're right,” I stop laughing, “it's absolutely bloody ridiculous.  It's the most foolish thing I've ever heard.  To ask me!  The princess of Lereon to join The Drifters.  This isn't f*****g Twilight, I'm not going to join your side because you asked nicely.  I'm not foolish, and unlike Alice Cullen, I'm not a stupid sparkling vampire who believes in 'harmony'.”

            “But I know you don't like drinking human blood!” I flinch at his words.

            “And how do you know that?”

            “Because it doesn't feel right, does it?  It's like when humans become vegetarians.”  He presses.

            “I'm not human though...” I say as I look between him and Nick.

            He sighs, “But you do have a soul and you do know they suffer for giving up a part of them.”

            “It's willing and from what I've happen to see they enjoy it.”

            “Does that make it right?” He questions.  I think over what he's asking me.  Does it make it right?

            “Just because someone likes something that doesn't make it more or less right.” he says, staring straight at me.  He steps towards me. 

            “We're talking about basic human rights, Kara.” He says softly. 

            I look between him and Nick, “But it's not possible.” I whisper.

            “We sustain off animal blood, Kara.  Animals!  They're even working on synthetic.” He says eagerly.  His big blue eyes searching for mine.

            “I just-I don't think so.  I'm the daughter of the ruler of all the Courts.  To ask this of me is unfair.” I say, sighing. 

            “I know.  But just think, you could be a new leader.”  He says, his eyes now gleaming.  He believes what he says.  I dart a daring glance at Nick who eagerly looks at me, his eyes filled with worry and with hope.

            “Well, what about the Clan.  You know, the hunters.”  I say slowly.  Cautiously saying my words.  Quintin looks at me and a smile stretches wide and to his eyes.

            “That's the best thing about this, Kara.  We're all equal.  Pacifist.  We don't like what either side does to each other or how they live.  So we live in peace.  It's perfection.”

            “Don't kid yourself, nothing is perfection.” I say and look off into the distance, pessimistic at what he's saying.   I see the wall of trees form around me in the soft meadow.  Almost like protecting me from the daring things behind them.  The green lush makes me feel serene and in touch with myself.  A world I wish to escape to forever, but sadly there is always a reality.   I look back at Quint and then at Nick and back.  I scuff my shoe on the ground and shove my hands deep inside my pockets.

            “Synthetic blood you say?”

            He smiles at me warmly, “Yes, synthetic blood.  All of the top Drifter researches are looking for it.  Something, anything that will help us.  We may be small, Kara, but we are strong and we will reach our destination.” He rambles.

            “What does the Clan think?”  I pose a dangerous question.

            He sighs and tosses an eager helping glance at Nick and surprisingly it's not Quintin who answers me, “Well, the Clan doesn't know.  They think that there hunters and huntresses are running away.  Not exactly to us, but suspecting.  We've had hounds on our trail, but never anything final.”  Nick's voice soothes my question. 

            I shake my head and look down, “Look, I don't know about all of this.  I'm not even sure you will make it to your 'destination'.  Maybe you will, maybe you won't.  But even if you do or don't have me you will fail and or succeed.  So what's in it for me?”

            “Complete harmony.  Away from the Courts bull and pointless babble.  Breaking away from tedious bashes and even more tedious up keep.  Away from the school and The Elders.  Just yourself and peace.  That's what we offer you.”  Quintin says, smiling softly.

            “I don't know, I'll have to think about it.  This is, just, almost too much for me to handle.  I'll some how some way come in contact with you.  But for now,  I don't know what to tell you.  I don't have an answer.  I, um, I have to go.  School.  So, yeah, bye.”  I say and flash away before they even can respond.  My mind is jumbled with too many words and phrases, two very distinct courses I can take.  Although I have no idea what to do.  As tempting as they put it, nothing is perfect.  Everything has it's sacrifices and it's negatives.  They're only sugar coating the truth, but getting away from the Courts.  Being able to think and do for myself, what more is there?  Some thing so priceless and so free is so far from my grasps in the Courts.  But if I leave I risk dangers.  More dangers then I will ever face in the Courts.  Ever.  Things beyond my imagination.

            I've only seen the wrath of the Clans hunter once, and I didn't even have to see it personally.  Seeing my mothers dead body come back worn and beat up.  Bloody and bruised and bloated makes me shiver in the thought.  You could still see the whip marks imprinted deeply in her back.  Bloody and torn large scratches from the whip.  Her eyes still fixed with fear.  Fear still swarming in her violet eyes.  Those hunters and their whips.  Something only hell can imagine. 

 



© 2009 Misa


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on August 24, 2009
Last Updated on August 24, 2009


Author

Misa
Misa

Panem



About
I'm Misa. I'm a 15 year old Japanese-German Jew. Nice combo, eh? I like writing and web programming. I'm a really care free person and I love putting a smile on peoples faces. I don't mind having.. more..

Writing
The Secret The Secret

A Story by Misa


Enough Enough

A Story by Misa


-No Name- -No Name-

A Book by Misa