Chapter 6: Deliverance

Chapter 6: Deliverance

A Chapter by Michelle Anselm

 

Kalvin stepped out of his quite luxurious black Ford Mustang – the benefit of knowing vampyres in the right places. He’d parked it a few blocks away from the club, in front of a small bar. He entered the hot, rather smelly room, and searched for the familiar faces. They were sitting in the back, at one of the quieter tables.

 

Danielle was tall and thin, but like most vampyres, she retained powerful strength beneath her frail appearance. Waist-length reddish brown hair cascaded down her back and shoulders in loose waves, and framed a pale face with emerald-green eyes. She was a sight; dressed in her usual combat attire of a black tank top and black leather pants; feet encased in durable old Converse that seemed to conflict with the subtle age in her eyes. That was one thing she and Kalvin shared in common – a love for Converse. Never leave the house without ‘em, he noted mentally.

 

Victus was a much rougher character than she; muscled and bald, with a dirty blond goatee as his sole facial hair. His eyes reflected and eerie grey. He was decked in a simple black long-sleeve shirt, which clearly showed off his chiseled biceps. Black pants and sturdy dark shoes completed it. One might take a look at us and mistake us for Goths, Kalvin mused. But it’s really the only way to go when stealth is your operative… Kalvin sat down at their table and gave them both steely looks, communicating the serious business at hand. Victus spoke first.

 

“So… Aronius wishes to fulfill the Prophecy, does he?”

 

Danielle’s silky voice continued. “Well, we’ll just have to put his diabolical little fantasy to an end.” She paused; then looked as if she’d just recalled something. “And save your

friend, of course. That’s important. All part of it.” She flashed a quick smile, but it was again replaced by the gravity of the situation. Kalvin nodded to them both.

 

“You brought your ‘deadly force’?” he inquired. Each nodded; Danielle indicated with her head to the two duffel bags, which lay at their feet beneath the table. Kalvin’s mouth twitched a smirk momentarily. Not suspicious at all, guys… “We should get a move on then.”

 

The three of them got up from the table and walked out of the bar, making an immediate right in the direction of the Club; they entered the next alley and scaled one of the buildings, coming to a clear view of their destination’s roof from there. The trio began to run and leap from building to building, heading down block by block. This was effortless for their immortal caliber of energy. The night was no longer young, and the dawn would soon be arriving in a matter of hours. This was essential to the fulfillment of the Prophecy – for its ceremony would take place just moments before the sun peeked over the horizon, and if all went as planned, every vampyre in the world would become instantly invincible to its normally burning rays, giving them the powerful advantage that would help them even more to overcome their prey. And while I wouldn’t mind soaking up some rays for once in decades, Kalvin thought, the thought of my more twisted relatives with that kind of power gives me chills. And Kalvin was quite fond of the human race. He wasn’t sure precisely why; but it was the main reason for him feeding from blood bank packages instead of fresher sources.

 

They were closing in the Club. As they reached the adjacent building to Club Crimson, they stopped to take a momentary rest, before quietly making their way onto that final rooftop. Danielle stepped forward with a small lock pick, and made quick work of the roof door’s padlock. With one last look at the blue and orange sky, the three of them entered.

 

Strangely, they encountered no guards just inside, and passed easily down the staircase. It occurred to Kalvin that they may have been assigned to preside over the “Vessel” and the scheduled ceremony that was to come. Victus headed the group, followed by Danielle, with Kalvin in the rear. All had guns drawn, loaded with special-made UV rounds, used mostly by slayers; but they were of great use to resistant vampyres as well. Silver knives were also handy. Yes, they were prepared for battle, at any cost.

 

They made their way slowly and silently down the concrete stairwell; two stories went by without the slightest resistance. But as they neared the fifth floor, Victus held up his hand, signaling them to halt. He made silent gestures, communicating that he saw five guards posted at the door. The burly man took a small, round object from a compartment attached to his belt; he pressed a button on its smooth surface, and tossed it down at the feet of the guards. Immediately he whispered, “Move!!” and the three of them ran to the next level up with haste. A nearly blinding flash of light shot up through the middle of the stairwell; the three of them shielded their eyes; stifled cries were heard below.

 

As they returned to the fifth floor, the blackened and scant remains of the guards littered the concrete. Danielle grimaced. Kalvin’s eyes widened.

 

“You gotta tell me where I can get some of those,” he remarked, wonder lacing his tone. Victus only grinned. As they were sure that the sentries had been guarding something important, they cautiously inched open the door and peered inside. A long, wood-floored hallway stretched before them; a few doors alternated down either side, but the most noticeable was a large, double-door entrance at the end. As they came closer to it, Kalvin could make out strange, ornate carvings all over its wooden surface. They were symbols… His mind flashed back to a certain book that lay upon the desk back at his apartment…

 

His lips parted into a grin. I know this…Kalvin approached the door. This has to be it. This is the same Ancient language is was used in the original Prophecy! Kalvin gave a meaningful look to Victus and Danielle, who seemed to get the message. Kalvin held up his fingers in succession. One… Two…Three!!!

 

Victus kicked the door hard, nearly breaking it as it flew open. All three of them fired their guns as guards immediately charged them. One guard down, exploded into flames. Three. Four. One leaped head first for Victus, but he incinerated the combatant in mid-air. Two came at Danielle from both sides; she quickly drew two knives and thrust them out, catching both in the chest – she twisted and withdrew, leaving them as similar piles of embers and bone. Kalvin raised an eyebrow at her; he hadn’t seen her fight like this in years. He had his own goon coming his way. In one fluid movement, he swept the guard’s feet from under him with his leg, withdrew a knife, and pinned him down to the floor with it. The three challengers acknowledged each others skills, glanced at the wreckage, and moved on. They left this small anterior chamber, and proceeded on down a short tunnel… where the real action began.

 

The scenery was similar to the last one – the floors, walls, and ceilings were paved in sand-colored stone, with large pillars in the corners; similar to Egyptian tombs, but lacking the hieroglyphics. But in the center was a circular raised slab, where – to Kalvin’s horror – Veronica sat kneeled, clad only in a black drape around her torso, her wrists chained to the stone. Her head was bowed, and her eyes were closed; she looked as if unconscious, though sitting upright. Her raven hair was let loose from its usual spiky ponytail; her skin was a lighter brown than he recalled, even in the dim torch lighting. Her eyes looked dark, even when closed; tired. There was no doubt in his mind – she was lost to his very own fate.

 

“Ah, what did I tell you?”

 

All three spun around, searching for the voice that suddenly echoed through the chamber. A figure materialized on the opposite side of the slab. His dark eyes glistened with a hint of victory. He still kept his long brown hair pulled back into a loose ponytail. Kalvin’s clenched fists shook. He spat out the name venomously.

 

“Aronius!”

 

Aronius smirked directly at Kalvin. “You’re too late, Kalvin. You’ve failed. She is one of us now. There is no turning back for her.”

 

Kalvin began to raise his gun and aim at him, but started violently, as the gun was suddenly shot right out of his grip. He hissed, and clasped his now sore hands. A dozen or more guards filed in through chamber doors on either side of them, with their own guns drawn.

 

“Drop your weaponry now… and we’ll let you survive, to enjoy this coming age of the Vampyre,” Aronius spoke, gesturing with his arms. “Why do you fight me so much, Kalvin? This is for the good of all vampyre kind! Why would you want to stop that?” Kalvin, Danielle and Victus remained silent and motionless. “Drop your weapons,” Aronius repeated icily. After glancing at each other, the three obeyed; but Kalvin knew this wasn’t finished yet. Half of the guards closed in on them and took them by the arms, dragging them aside towards the chamber wall. Aronius regained his smirk. “Now… Sit back, and enjoy the show.”  He locked eyes with one of the burlier guards, in a sort of question; he nodded, and Aronius turned his gaze towards an unconscious Veronica. “Bring him.”

 

To their left, two women appeared: Jesse was one of them. They held a thin young boy by each of his hands; he was olive-skinned, presumably of Egyptian decent. Fitting, thought Kalvin. He was older than a toddler, but not old enough yet to be out of elementary school; though Kalvin doubted if the boy had ever seen a classroom. Like his ancestors, they had clothed him in a white linen wrap. His face was unfettered by the grim proceedings; the boy seemed unaware of what was going on. In fact, Kalvin wasn’t quite sure either, but he had a pretty good idea. The two vampyresses led him towards the circular platform, and stood him up on it before Veronica. Aronius snapped his fingers, and the women unlocked Veronica’s shackles, before they stepped to their master’s sides. Kalvin’s eyes narrowed. The room was unbearably silent. He could see the tension upon Aronius’s face.

 

Veronica’s eyes flew open. She gazed directly into the boy’s eyes. Kalvin could sense a distinct feeling of hunger emanating from her. The plan was clear now. Veronica’s arms reached gently for the boy; with a smile on his little countenance, he stepped toward her as she enclosed him in an almost motherly embrace. He clasped his hands around the back of her neck as she picked him up under his knees and cradled him. As if she had never known humanity, Kalvin saw her lower her head towards the boy’s neck; a miniscule cry of pain was heard, but he did not struggle. As Veronica took her first victim as a vampyress, as the Vessel, Aronius looked on, seemingly pleased. Victus shot a glance at Kalvin. This had to be stopped, somehow, when the moment came… Veronica drank deeply, her humanity stripped from her in this period of time after her turning. All she knew was hunger and the sensations of feeding; she was animal-like in this moment. And Kalvin knew that. And he knew that if this ceremony was completed, she would never be the same again.

 

Aronius snapped his fingers again, and the women approached Veronica and the boy. With some effort, they managed to pry the sacrifice from her arms, much to her dismay. Two guards came forward and clamped the shackles on her wrists again. As one vampyress held the boy in her arms, Jesse touched her finger to the wound on his neck, and slowly brought her hand around to Veronica; she touched her on the forehead, leaving a red spot of blood on her skin. When this was done, all removed themselves to the walls of the chamber, excepting Aronius, who positioned himself standing before the platform, directly in front of Veronica. He looked exhilarated, but extremely serious. His voice quavered.

 

“Leave us. Jesse, Carmen – you stay. And Kalvin…” He paused, but did not look in their direction. “I think you could appreciate this moment. Guards, take the other two.” The orders were all obeyed. Before Victus and Danielle were taken away, Victus handed Kalvin one of his knifes, which he procured from underneath his sleeve, when the guards could not see. Kalvin held it behind his back as the five of them were left alone in the chamber.

 

Veronica looked strained now. Her eyes were closed again, but every so often her lip twitched a little, and her muscles were tensing. Her head was tilted back, yet thrust forward, as if a string on the spot where the blood had been placed was pulling her up. Kalvin’s eyes darted all around the room, from person to person; from Jesse, to “Carmen”, to Aronius, and back to Veronica. I must act now, or not at all! And that wasn’t an option. Kalvin grasped the silver knife behind him tighter.

 

“Yes… Soon, all vampyres will be invincible!” Aronius was grinning madly now.

 

It’s now or never!

 

Kalvin lunged forward, knife in hand. Aronius was too focused on Veronica, but the vampyresses stepped between him and Kalvin. Jesse hissed at him and tried to tackle him, but he twisted around and evaded her path. The one called Carmen grabbed him from behind and made to rip out his neck, but Kalvin swiftly plunged his knife into her side; she cried out in anguish and, like so many of the guards, burned away into ashes. Jesse stared in fear at Carmen’s remains, but quickly returned to malicious gaze back to her assailant.

 

“So, what are you going to do, Kalvin?” Her pale face was maniacal. Her dyed red hair was frazzled and messy, only adding to her crazed appearance. “Are you going to rescue your bonnie love? Is that what you’re going to do? Ha ha!” She began to circle around; Kalvin moved with her. “She’s already gone, you fool! You’ll never get her back! Don’t be stupid and ruin this for the rest of us!”

 

Kalvin’s frown deepened. “I’m not going to abandon humankind, and I’m not abandoning her.” He gripped his knife tighter.

 

Jesse scoffed. “Why do you protect them, Kalvin? Do you know, what they’d do, those humans, if they found out you were a vampyre? They’d take you straight to a lab and dissect you, that’s what! You care so much about them, but you think they care about you? You’re delusional, Kalvin.” She chuckled darkly. “Just like you’re delusional that you think you can win this one.”

 

Kalvin growled and lunged at her, knife raised. She cried out in surprise, but caught his arms with her hands, bracing herself against him. He pressed down harder and harder, his knife inching towards her lifeless heart. She grunted, trying with all her might to hold off the knife. They glared into each others eyes in their struggle. Jesse’s arms were shaking. In one desperate last attempt, she pushed against him and tried to jump away; but she tripped over her own heel and fell to the floor. Kalvin wasted no time – he pounced upon her and ran her through with the knife. Her faced contorted, and she gasped, before meeting the same fiery fate as all before. Kalvin got to his feet and turned around.

 

Aronius still faced Veronica, but something had changed in the room. Light was coming in; just faintly, from a large square shaft in the ceiling that he hadn’t noticed before; but it was enough to make him cringe.

 

“It is finished, Kalvin.” Aronius raised his arms towards the light; though his palms were turning red. “See! She does not burn!”

 

And it was true. Veronica’s skin color remained constant, and other than the aforementioned ticks, she gave no signs of discomfort. Kalvin shared a short moment of awe, for surely she was the Vessel – he saw it now for sure. But his attention was focused back to the task at hand. Kalvin glanced from the surely crazed Aronius and back to Veronica.

 

He suddenly dashed forward. Aronius’s hands were starting to visibly peel now. Kalvin shoved him aside, and stepped up to Veronica on the platform. His hand reached for her forehead, and his fingers wiped away the droplet of blood that still clung to her forehead. As it was removed from her skin, her eyes once again shot open, staring into the increasing sunlight. Kalvin was beginning to burn, and he grunted a little in discomfort. Aronius released an enraged cry.

 

“Nooo!! I won’t let you ruin this!” He ran forward and surely meant to kill Kalvin on the spot; but he was abruptly stopped by a hand that grasped his throat. Kalvin stared in disbelief. Veronica’s eyes glistened in the light.

 

“Don’t… touch him.” Her voice was venomous, but Kalvin loved it. He was enthralled that she was not lost. She was there. He knew she was there, underneath. Aronius tried to claw her hand from him, but she held firm. Her other hand reached for Kalvin’s knife and took it from his hand. Getting to her feet, she nearly lifted Aronius off of the stone floor. He struggled to get his footing.

 

No!” He twisted around in her grasp. “You were supposed to… fulfill the… Prophecy!!” Even without the need for air, Aronius was gasping for it. Old habits, one could suppose. “How can you think of ruining it now, when we were so close to supremacy!? This was our chance!” Veronica stared at him icily.

 

“No. This was your sick, twisted little dream, Aronius. And I will not be part of it.” Veronica lifted the knife into the air. Kalvin stepped off the platform, backing away from what was to come. She swung the knife downward, and in one sweep, cut the malevolent vampyre’s head clean off. Aronius Maccalo ceased to be. Kalvin stared in horror, and in awe. Veronica turned her head to look at Kalvin, with a delicate smile.

 

“Come here Kalvin… If no one else, let me share this gift with you.”

 

Again he approached her, coming to stand with her upon the platform. She pulled her hair back, away from her bronzed neck, and seemingly offered it to him. “Drink, that you may share this power with me.” Kalvin was apprehensive… “Now! Or you will be consumed by the dawn!”

 

Kalvin wrapped his arm around her waist, and took her head in his hand. Gently, he did as she commanded. He was in rapture. He could not remember the last time that he had fed from a person, and not from a plastic bag. Not just the substance – but warm, and the taste of skin. It was the most wonderful sensation to him… As they held in this embrace, the sun finally cast its rays down upon them, through the shaft, which extended to the eastern side of the building.

 

Kalvin held Veronica in his arms, and felt the warmth of sunlight on his deadened skin, for the first time in nearly forty years. His happiness was consummate.



© 2008 Michelle Anselm


Author's Note

Michelle Anselm
Note: I know that this chapter is considerably longer than the others - sometimes I get on a roll, and, well... You see the result. Also, I KNOW that Aronius's demise may be easy, anti-climactic, etc. (from what I've heard from others) - this will be changed soon.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on July 3, 2008
Last Updated on July 3, 2008