Grandpa's Hands

Grandpa's Hands

A Poem by Scarlett Dale

A large warm hand covers my small one as I look up at the seemingly impossibly high ladder. It's alright. You whisper to me, in your deep comforting voice, and you give me one of your special smiles. Somehow I feel safe now, I feel that no matter what happens I'll be okay; it doesn't matter how tall the ladder is now, you are here to catch me if I fall.

Up, up, up I go on the ladder and soon I see you far below, I close my eyes tight and try not to think of falling down. Come on, I know you can do it. You encourage me, I open my eyes and take a breath; looking at your warm, bright eyes and your soft smile. I smile back and take the plunge, slipping down the long silver slide.

Years pass, and you still give me the warm encouraging smiles that I need to get me through my troubles. A warm hand to offer when I need it, and your gentle eyes give me that extra boost of love. I stand to face to the sea of people on my journey of music, I'm scared and want to close my eyes tight; I feel as if I'm climbing that ladder again, and I think I may fall but then among the many faces, I rest my eyes on yours and all of a sudden I'm not so scared, and I know, know.. I can make that climb again and somehow I know you'll be there to catch me if I fall.

Many days, I may feel lost or forgotten, but then I feel the warmth of the sun and think of you; I see the the sturdiness of a rock and I think of you. I imagine your warm and strong hand in mine and I know I'm safe. I can turn to your for anything, and I know you'll be there for me.

Some may say that things are forgotten or fade away; things become lost, or they may just slip to the back, but memories stay. Memories are a part of us, they make us who we are. Memories define our being, and sculpt our future. Memories are what get us through those tough times, and let us know the love we are wrapped up in.

You, I, everyone may fade, but our memories will live on. Someday I may find myself looking up at that tall ladder, and feel frightened. You may not be there to take my hand and whisper comforting words to me, and I'll have to climb that ladder by myself. But I know, deep in my heart that all I will have to do.. is close my eyes tight and I can picture your face, smiling at me with your gentle smile, your encouraging and bright eyes, the feel of your strong hand on mine. Because I know, that even when we fade, memories do not.

Memories are what keep us together. As I once again hold your hand, taking in a breath, opening my eyes and looking at you.. your love envelopes me and I know.. I'm safe.

© 2010 Scarlett Dale


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think your grandpa must be very proud; I know I would be. My grandaughter isn't old enough to say such things about me, but if she ever says one half as much as you've blessed your grandpa with, I'll be soooooo proud. It does my heart good to read such warm, loving things as this. Thank you

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think your grandpa must be very proud; I know I would be. My grandaughter isn't old enough to say such things about me, but if she ever says one half as much as you've blessed your grandpa with, I'll be soooooo proud. It does my heart good to read such warm, loving things as this. Thank you

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 9, 2010
Last Updated on April 9, 2010

Author

Scarlett Dale
Scarlett Dale

About
I'm what you call a strange person. I love to write and when I do I feel as if it's coming straight from my heart onto the paper. Especially with my poetry. I was never one for poetry (writing it anyw.. more..

Writing
Ashes Ashes

A Poem by Scarlett Dale