Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Underneath

Underneath

A Poem by Scarlett Dale

As I watch through the foggy glass, I see so many people laughing and smiling. They're lives are so filled with joy - their dark pasts have been pushed back and they've all moved onward. I watch, and wish with all heart and soul that I could be with them; able to push everything behind me and know I won't ever have to think about it again. But this glass, this haze separates me from them.

What do I have to do in order to push forward? To be among the smiling faces - Hide the pain and the fear? The fear of loss? Loss, chills me like the freezing rain as it mingles with the tear stains on my cheeks. So I push myself away from the fog, and take in a stabling breath before putting up the walls that surround me, and adjusting the mask over my face that hides the scars from the years of pain.

I close my eyes, keeping everything pulled behind the walls and the mask - It's smoothed over and I can feel it raging inside to get out again. But I hold my breath and wait for it to subside. For the memories to stop licking at my heart like fire, leaving razor-like cuts and wounds. And like a soothing rain, the tears leak through my mask and wash away the memory-fire. Putting it to a warm glow of embers, just waiting to rage up again.

Brushing away the tears and putting on my finest smile, I move toward the fogged glass and place a hand on it and watch as it shatters at my touch. Stepping through the opening - glass under my feet, I make my way out among the gathering of people to find my place. They all smile at me and I feel as if my mask is slipping, but they don't take notice. It seems as if once again, my mask has served it's purpose.

© 2010 Scarlett Dale


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on October 30, 2010
Last Updated on October 30, 2010

Author

Scarlett Dale
Scarlett Dale

About
I'm what you call a strange person. I love to write and when I do I feel as if it's coming straight from my heart onto the paper. Especially with my poetry. I was never one for poetry (writing it anyw.. more..

Writing
Ashes Ashes

A Poem by Scarlett Dale