Tryst with a plagiarist

Tryst with a plagiarist

A Story by Christopher Withers

I felt obliged to create this article detailing a recent confrontation with plagiarism and actions I felt compelled to take to protect my writing and myself.

During the 2006-2010 period I was fairly active on a couple of poetry sites - the starlightcafe and poemhunter. Since then, I've posted very little poetry and my interests have pushed me in other directions. 

Just over a week ago, I received an email from poemhunter stating a user had sent me a message. I tend to ignore these, as they are usually spam, but something piqued my interest so I logged in to read it.

The message was from a user who kindly informed me that someone had started to post my poetry to hellopoetry and writerscafe, claiming the work as their own. I immediately followed the links and was met with a mixture of shock, anxiety and anger . Someone called Chris G. Vaillancourt had indeed stolen two pieces of my work. Someone had commented on one of the poems that it was stolen with a link to my original. I have no idea how they discovered this, but I presume they had suspicions about him, and so were checking any new work he posted. I am eternally grateful for the people who took their time to do this and track me down.

What made this betrayal worse, was that he had received extremely positive, glowing, excellent feedback on my poems. It's hard to describe how such theft hits you, I was surprised by the depth of my feelings. Here was a published poet with seemingly established circles of friends and reviewers, and I was someone who hadn't posted much since 2010 and my work was fairly obscure. 

I could barely focus at work that day, and spent a large part of my time trying to find ways of informing the admins of the sites in question about the plagiarised poems. I freelance, so my actions only effected my own pocket. 

I first created accounts on hellopoetry and writerscafe and immediately left comments on the poems in question, asking Chris to take down my poems and informing him that I'd reported him.

An admin at hellopoetry replied almost instantly and took the poems in question down. I'm unsure if Chris himself deleted the poems, or it they were removed by an admin at writerscafe, but I never received a response. Chris pretty much instantly deleted my comments and blocked me from viewing his writing. I was then messaged by a user (I think they might have been a moderator) who accused me of causing trouble.

Proof of the two poems he stole from me can be seen here:

Chris posted this in August



and here is my original from 2009:

http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/105/poem_91104317.html


The second poem of mine he plagiarized was called 'Death is cold', which he renamed to 'Death Is Just Cold' and posted in July:




My original, which I posted in 2009 can be seen here:


What made this one worse is that I wrote this poem after the death of a beloved family pet, and here I find someone stealing it and claiming ownership of it.

I was stumped as what to do now, from viewing Chris's profile whilst logged out, he seemed popular and had an extensive network of friends. Also, being contacted by one user already accusing me of trouble making, I was worried about getting banned from writerscafe before spreading knowledge of his deeds.

I'm fairly web savvy, so I decided to start a blog listing examples of Chris's plagiarism with irrefutable proof, in the hope that if people wouldn't believe my word, they could at least look at the evidence for themselves.

I started to look through Chris's earlier work, utilising a number of search engines to see if it had ever appeared elsewhere. What I discovered was pretty shocking. In the first 5 pages of his poetry collection, I found over 10 other plagiarised poems. I got a friend to post evidence of plagiarisation on two of these poems, but he instantly deleted the comments, then shortly deleted the poems, before blocking my friends account.

He seemed to discover my blog and started to delete all the poems I flagged up, I guess the weight of deleted poems became too much, as today he has closed his account. I presume this is an attempt to stop my looking into other poems in his collection, of which I'd barely scratched the surface.

The poems he plagiarized seemed to exist on obscure sites, and their authors had been inactive for many years - so I presume which is why he felt confident in getting away with his actions.

I'll next list other poems which I found had been copied:

Cold wall of real

Chris posted this poem in 2014, claiming he’d first published it in 2005:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1386388/

But the exact same poem can be found here, published a year earlier:

http://sinatrainred.blogspot.de/2004/08/cold-wall-of-real.html


Parasite

Chris posted this poem in 2014, claiming he published it in a book in 2010:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1389888/

cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ZGytV2-Da3EJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1389888/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Here is the original poem, posted by JadedxEvil in 2008

http://allpoetry.com/poem/4214425-Parasite-by-JadedxEvil

If this plagiarised work was indeed printed, this makes his actions even worse.

Coffee shop

Chris posted this poem in 2014:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1396343/

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Zl1ye77qN0gJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1396343/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

but it was originally posted by Frederic Kolman in 2009 Titled “Marvelous at the Coffee Shop” here:

http://www.writingroom.com/viewwriting/frederic/Marvelous-at-the-Coffee-Shop

Thinking In Nostalgic Fashion

Chris posted this poem in 2014:

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1373144/

Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uoizTQmM6hgJ:www.writerscafe.org/writing/sanctus/1373144/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

A lot of the prose was taken from this poem posted in 2007:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/3898337datingPostpage25.aspx by LyricalMuse (near the bottom of the page)


Many more examples can be found here:
http://timdanes.tumblr.com/

I'm hoping the weight of evidence presented will allow other people to see exactly what Chris did, and will hopefully save other poets from the same fate.

© 2014 Christopher Withers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can tell you this is a sad tale. However it is also a cautionary one as we all know what it is to work so hard and get so little other than our fellows praise. But to take that from someone and claim it as your own is not in line with decent conduct. It is rude at best and theft at worst'.I cannot approve of this behavior but I can chose my friends and for who and what I will bleed.I am sorry this happened to you. We are all failed characters as are all men and women but we are supposed to be friends here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


14 of 14 people found this review constructive.

Arrinae

9 Years Ago

Mr. Morgan, thank you for the R&R
LL

9 Years Ago

I agree with you Tate.
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

thank you levi



Reviews

Hi Christopher
I was a member here for a small amount of time but have been a long time member at Hello Poetry... I just couldn't abandon my original home after a foray into the outside Poetry world *shrug* I believe I was the one to contact you at poemhunter to advise you of your stolen poems... It's been a quest of mine for some months and I can tell you all that Chris G Valliancourt is the WORST sort of monster, he truly is the one that creeps around under your poetry bed at night. I'm sorry that you had to meet him the way you did but, as a timely reminder to everyone who posts poetry online... Take care of your babies! Don't just abandon them and do regular checks of your poetry in search engines. You bled your heart and soul into your words, don't let others snatch them away and make them their own.
Regards
Helen ;)
p.s, he's not the only one. You should all look out for Shane Linville and anybody that goes under the name opposed

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that makes sense having received feedback from this guy, just wondering if he has pinched any of my work

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Whoa! I never knew people could do that as well.😠😠😠

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

He is a pure excuse for a human being never mind a poet. I am sorry that he was so greedy by taking so much of your work. Some people have no honor and I am so sorry that your words, your spirit and light were handled by such miscreant who poses as a poet.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I am so proud that you posted this. I can see the grief that made you write so much and inform others about it. I trust you and I thank you for taking a stand. I think you should feel good as your poems were appreciated so much, after all ;)
We all trust you :) I promise.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanks for sharing!......

Posted 9 Years Ago


Thank you for sharing this cautionary warning story. People who steal and cheat are plain rotten

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rocky Morgan

9 Years Ago

Yes for sure....thanks for forwarding it to me:)
Thank you kindly for the information that you have given here... From time to time I copy certain phrases of my own work and google.. just in case.. only once did one come up and it was taken care of rather quick... I wish you well and am saddened by what has happened to you..

Posted 9 Years Ago


I think that person is in my friends list... I am so sorry this happened to you. On the plus side, at least you know the person admires your work enough to brag that it's his own!

Posted 9 Years Ago


This could actually happen to any of us as long as people like that "imposter Chris G. Vaillancourt" remain active online. Your post is a real brave move on ur part. All I cn say is whoever told U, u r a troublemaker should be ashamed of themselves as much as the plagiarist. Thank You for sharing this and dont be disheartened. World is filled with menaces but the jolly good ones do exist too.. believe in urself and keep writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9771 Views
84 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 12 Libraries
Added on September 18, 2014
Last Updated on September 19, 2014
Tags: plagiarist, plagirisation

Author

Christopher Withers
Christopher Withers

About
I recently discovered a user on this site had been posting my poems as his own. To combat this, I've decided to post my poetry here, hopefully stopping this from happening again. The poet in questi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan