The Definition of Insane

The Definition of Insane

A Story by Michael Stevens
"

Spokesman for the NRA

"
Verse:

 

How many times do we listen to the same tired platitudes?

How many times must we put up with this worn-out attitude?

How many times will we hear absolutely nothing will change?

How many times must we watch everything stay the same?

 

Pre-Chorus:

 

A powerful lobby bests common sense,

and spells disaster for the future tense.

 

Verse:

 

He who shouts loudest drowns out a grieving mother's plea.

A screaming pitchman intimidates you and me--

puts cash above decency--spews callous for the 1,000th time,

and grins into the camera as he says everything's fine.

 

Repeat Pre-Chorus:

 

Chorus:

 

Look around and see The Definition of Insane,

it's etched on the faces of all of those in pain.

On and on it goes, this game for fools.

Insanity on the streets, insanity in our schools.

 

Verse:

 

An unfeeling monster spews garbage, and we just turn away,

Each new one forgotten in less than a week--happens every day.

When will ordinary people stand up and shout, 'enough!'

And stop cowering from a loud and intimidating bluff?

 

Pre-Chorus:

 

We've got to stand up to the shouting minority,

for he doesn't speak for what we believe.

 

Repeat Chorus:

 

End   

© 2016 Michael Stevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am not sure what your true topic was but the lines: He who shouts loudest drowns out a grieving mother's plea.
A screaming pitchman intimidates you and me--
puts cash above decency--spews callous for the 1,000th time,
and grins into the camera as he says everything's fine.

This reminds of all the politics in the public education system these days. People's voices pushed aside....cash above decency....yep...insanity. #LRWP2016


Posted 7 Years Ago


Michael Stevens

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the comment--I meant it against Wayne La Pierre, spokesman for the NRA--what a soulless p.. read more
This is pretty good actually. Very truthful an heart touching. It literally provokes minorities to do something for the world

Posted 7 Years Ago


Michael Stevens

7 Years Ago

Thank you much, Perplexed!
This is a beautiful, heart wrenching piece so full of truths that it hurts. I too am tired of the platitudes and the hand wringing and the "it won't help' whining. We need to look at what has been sane and successful in other nations I.e. Canada and Australia to model what works. But first we must muzzle Wayne La Pierre and his ilk, and get the NRA juggernaut out of Washington's back pocket.

In the mean time, one writer to another, this piece is beautiful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Michael Stevens

7 Years Ago

Thank you much, and I too am sick of the 'it won't help' excuses--we've got to do what we can to sto.. read more
Gun laws have very little to do with mass shootings. That argument is largely false and overstated. It's the culture of hate, latent racism, and the tacit condoning of it by the far right rhetoric. Coupled with the 24 hour cable news cycle these things radicalize disturbed outcasts into desperate acts of "vengeance".

The far left argument of expanding "big brother" to better watch and track it's populace is a part of that problem. If only for the perception it implies, it has a very large role in radicalizing domestic clownery.

Take away the guns, Timothy McVeigh style attacks will return... on the flip side a gun crazy society is inherently dangerous. There is a middle ground, perhaps require a federal license directly issued by the FBI and attach a huge tax on assault rifles.... like tens of thousands of dollars. Include semi auto assault rifles under the class 3 firearm license umbrella that is currently on the books. Assault rifles will not go away from simple legislation.... that argument is akin to Donald Drumpf's border wall. Build a 40 foot wall you just created a market for 41 foot ladders. Apply the same logic to any legislation that outlaws anything - remember prohibition? How's the war on drugs going?

You want to know what's really crazy? The homicide rate in Chicago outpaces the war in Afghanistan at it's peak. What's even more insane? No one talks about that outside of the south side. it's not sexy news or morally tragic enough for the everyday headline reading citizen.

I like were your heads that though, getting lobbyists out of Washington would go a very long way to freeing politicians from spewing that culture of misinformed bullshit to their constituents.


Posted 7 Years Ago


Michael Stevens

7 Years Ago

I'm sorry if I missed your point, but thanks for the debate.
Davidgeo

7 Years Ago

No worries... ultimately we agree on the end point we just disagree on the path to that point. Bein.. read more
Michael Stevens

7 Years Ago

I couldn't agree more!
You are likely preaching to the choir as far as a Canadian is concerned. The idea of an assault rifle legally purchased, and why one would ever need one, except to massacre people, that is, is a difficult concept for me to wrap my head around. So if your purpose is for self defense, and you insist people must be able to own these things, and you can disable an off course golf cart with a GPS chip, why not fit these fire arms with GPS disablers, so they could be shut down if brought into public?

Posted 7 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Michael Stevens

7 Years Ago

Thanks, K L--and it seems to be people are afraid of the NRA. Until we scream, "enough of this crazi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

374 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 13, 2016
Last Updated on June 13, 2016
Tags: Guns--America

Author

Michael Stevens
Michael Stevens

About
I write for fun; I write comedy pieces and some dramatic stuff. I have no formal writing education, and I have a fear of being told I suck, and maybe I should give up on writing, and get a job makin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Shell Shell

A Chapter by Ana Papaya


over the sea over the sea

A Chapter by Ana Papaya