Missing Person

Missing Person

A Story by Monday Parker
"

A Short Story

"

I awoke Thursday April 02, 1987. I realized nothing was right here for me. Not my overfilled confined one bedroom apartment, not my dead end job at Joe’s Auto. I loathed everything in my forced impersonal existence. Each day I dressed and walked the three short blocks to Joes- worked under the raging sun. Punched the clock for the man. As the sun descended I sat belly up at the Vista. A local bar filled with a few loose women, and bearded a******s. Who sit sipping their liquor at the bar top.  Complaining about their bosses, old ladies and kids…bitching about the price of whiskey and cigarettes. I woke up Thursday morning the smell of mold and left over TV dinners filled the enclosed space. I needed fresh air- I needed to leave…I made the choice right then- on my oily bare mattress, in my stained Marlboro t-shirt.   I am leaving. I dressed in my warmest jacket- a grey pea coat, two pairs of wool socks, and my boots. I walked away. I left the dishes in the sink, the bills on the counter. I have never been back there again. I regret nothing, wandering the streets fulfilling my needs as they come.

I heard somewhere I was reported missing, even a poster with my face on it. My sister was handing them out around town. Working up phony crocodile tears, but I never liked that b***h anyhow and I am never going back there.

I heard Idaho is nice in the spring. I might wander that way soon.

© 2019 Monday Parker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a well written piece, doesn't fall into the pitfalls of so many writings. Unnecessary descriptions, excessive use of adverbs, alot of the observations inspire disgust. and it answers the question; "What makes this story worth writing?"

Posted 5 Years Ago


What if there was a place where these people disappeared to.

Posted 7 Years Ago


A stark slice of reality very graphically depicted. Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was great. In few words you summoned up so much. I look forward to reading more of your 'pennings.'

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

465 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 14, 2017
Last Updated on May 1, 2019

Author

Monday Parker
Monday Parker

Sacramento, CA



About
I am better with words. more..

Writing