the road to the throne so far

the road to the throne so far

A Story by lereon
"

Continuation from the book, it has been updated and is a little further along from the first posting

"

A Road to the throne

By Matthew Sciriha

Prologue

 

It was never meant to be.  Everyone thought he was to grow up, get married to the woman of his dreams and he would have been crowned, but it was never meant to be. From the moment the boy was born his uncle began conspiring against his father.  Not two months later his father was killed by a group of mercenaries hired and loyal to the boy’s uncle. Although the mother had fled holding her son in one arm and whatever she could carry in the other.

Time passed and the boy grew up into healthy teenager.  He was named Lereon, which in the ancient tongue meant Lion for the eons.

 

He and his mother had lived in an isolated valley where there were plenty of game and resources.  She taught him all that she knew.  She taught him Mathematics, ways how to address people of different classes, reading and writing.

The only things he was never taught was how to fight.  Being his mother and a woman, she could not, for she knew nothing of the sort.

 

CHAPTER 1

 

One day Lereon was out hunting.  He stood still waiting patiently for the right moment to strike; for the precise moment. Within the blink of an eye he had thrown the spear he had fashioned from an oak branch. The Boar didn’t even realise what had happened when the spear struck him in the neck.  He stood up and went up to the now fallen creature.

“A fine shot if I ever saw one”, said a voice.

Lereon spun around and saw a stout bearded man. He was tall and broad shouldered, his hair was long, messy and hazelnut brown. Lereon put a hand on his spear.

“Who are you, good sir?” Lereon asked.

“I, oh my name is Jacksaw.... and I already know who you are.”

“How?” asked Lereon cautiously, now feeling weary of the man.

“Let us go see your mother…. yes, I know of your mother.” he added upon seeing the alarmed look on Lereon’s face.

“Will you help me carry the boar back?” asked Lereon.

“But of course m’lad, I’d be happy to help.” replied Jacksaw.

“Thank you.” said Lereon.

They tied the boar to the spear by its legs.

They talked little on their way back. Upon reaching the cabin Lereon’s mother shouted with surprise and happiness,

“Jacksaw, my faithful friend and servant, how have you been all these years!?”

“I have been well, I had spent my time after that.......err…..incident looking for you and the boy.”

“So how on earth did you find us?” asked Jenova.

“Well, until recently, I was in despair, but when I saw your lad throw a spear with that ferocity and aim I knew he was his late highness’s son.  That skill isn’t taught.”

“Will you join us for supper?” asked Jenova.

“It will be an honour to dine with the prince” said Jacksaw.

“The who?” asked Lereon, now confused from the little he heard of their conversation.

 “I see you never told him, did you Jenova?” said Jacksaw flatly.

“I was waiting for the right moment.” said Jenova sadly.

“Tell me what?”, now feeling as if nothing and nobody was making sense.

“Then I think we shall speak during supper”, Jacksaw said, ignoring Lereon’s question.

“Yes, I think that would be in order, and I’ll have time to think on how everything happened.” said Jenova.

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER 2

 

Lereon sat on the damp grass.  While sitting there, smelling the earthly smell, he watched his mother prepare the table on which they where to eat at.  That night, had he not caught the boar, they would have had to eat some gruel.  He was thinking about what this stranger was going to tell him about his past and who they were referring to; he began to wonder what is to become of him.  His mother was clumsily setting the table. Lereon was surprised to see her hands tremble so much, unlike her usual confident self.

 

When she announced that diner was set he was the last to be seated. They ate silently, everyone focused mostly on their food. Jacksaw however seemed to be quite focused on Lereon, as if he was studying him. This started to unnerve Lereon. Making him wonder what this strange man was thinking.

 

“Now then, were to begin, Jenova did you tell the boy anything?” asked Jacksaw frankly as he finished swallowing the last morsel.

His mother merely stared at her plate.

“I see,” Jacksaw sighed,” Lereon, my boy I don’t know how to put it simpler so I’ll just say it. You are a Prince!”

“What?!” said Lereon who almost knocked over his goblet as he reached for it, “what did you say I am?!”

“You are a prince, so now I’ll begin my story and tell you how it all happened.

It was a cold night that your father, the King of Berothia, was betrayed. He knew that there were spies inside the castle but didn’t know who to point fingers at. He and his counsel from all lands and races had gathered and founded the Order of the Dragon heart.  They all knew each other inside out and they were sure that none in the counsel were traitors to the king.  The most unimaginable person turned out to be the traitor, the king’s brother Clavius, your uncle.  The night you were born Clavius began scheming and two months later sent a group of his own hired henchmen to kill the king and his Royal Family.  I myself was on the Counsel and your mother’s faithful servant.  Your Father, Cedric the Dragon Heart, ordered that you and your mother to flee through the catacombs and go into hiding.  He on the other hand died fighting a most honourable way to die, the counsel disbanded and went into hiding and they are all ready to be called back to do their work. That would be to serve the true King of Berothia, in other words……. you.  You must merely show them the sapphire ring which was given to your mother. Jenova will you fetch it.” Jacksaw said hastily,” You must now find your way back to the thrown with the Order’s aid, which is to say if you want to avenge your father and continue his legacy.” finished Jacksaw.

 

His head was swirling, he was a prince, his father was dead, and his uncle probably wanted him dead if he knew that he was still alive, what was this ring, he had never seen nor been told of. His mother shortly arrived with a wooden box. When she handed it to him he opened it to find a gold rind with an encrusted sapphire of royal blue colour upon a red velvet cushion. He took the ring and found it fitted him perfectly.  He looked at Jacksaw who merely smiled at him.

 “I don’t know if I can do this, I’m not ready to do this. I can’t lead an army or wage war, I can’t even fight in one on one combat. Are you even sure that I am the right person.” Lereon was panicking out of shock.

“Lereon...my son, you father died so that you could one day return to the throne and raise the kingdom out of its misery. I know you are frightened and confused and you must understand the gravity of the decision that has been put forward to you, however only you can make a decision on what you will do now that you know the truth”, Jenova was trying to calm him down, the tears had started to roll down her cheeks and this was breaking Lereon’s heart. He had never seen his mother cry.

“Will you help me on my quest” asked Lereon silently.

“Certainly my boy, but don’t worry we don’t have to leave just yet for you must be taught how to wield weapons, yes Jenova I know you brought him here to stay away from that kind of life but it is his destiny, now then off to bed with you for we have an early start in the morning were I must teach you all that I know.” Stated Jacksaw and while he was leaving Jacksaw and his mother started to talk very silently.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER 3

 

That night was the last peaceful night he was to have for a very, very long time. The next morning when he woke up he thought he must have dreamt of what happened but when he saw the sapphire ring on his finger he knew it wasn’t.

“Lereon... come on, wake up, we have a long day ahead of us.” said Jacksaw with a twinkle in his eyes and left.

He slowly made his way out of bed and started to get dressed, next to his bed he found a sword in a scabbard woven from what seemed like golden tread. The sword was beautiful; the hilt was encrusted with rubies and fitted his hand as if it were made for him.  The blade had several markings on it but they were only for decoration. He walked to the kitchen while brandishing his sword. When he arrived in the kitchen Jacksaw was already there sitting at the table eating some fruit.

“I see you found the sword, good because that’s what you’ll use.” added Jacksaw.

“It’s very good craftsmanship and it fits my grasp perfectly.” said Lereon in awe.

“It should, as it was made for you in times long forgotten. Now today I will teach you how to properly wield a sword. You must always bear in mind never attack out of rage or anger but defend so that your opponent gets tired and you have an advantage.

This though does not apply on a battle field for your life depends on your agility and ability to duck or hide behind objects.” explained Jacksaw.

 

They both started to spar but slowly so as not to perform any killer blows.

After a long after noon of sword fighting they take a break and moved on to archery.

“You must first follow the target and try to predict where it we will be in the next few seconds so as to shoot and hit it. Now there are a few birds in the tree if you can bring a few down we can have a light meal.”

 

Lereon took aim and brought down 4 small but considerable birds.

 

“Not the best of hunts but it will serve as our lunch until tonight” said Jacksaw with a satisfied look.

“So you knew my father, what was he like” asked Lereon

“Oh questions, questions,” said Jacksaw in an irritated way, “but I don’t blame you, I would do the same had I been in your position I suppose.”

Upon seeing that pleading look on Lereon’s face.

“Oh all right, let’s see well I first met your father at the age of 25, I was already a decorated war veteran and was made commander of the southern armies. Eventually my military career with you father led me to rise to being his most trusted general. We would spend hours in the palace gardens doing all sorts of things, discussing military tactics, and hunting, hawking, discussing politics and mostly anything that came into mind.” said Jacksaw.

 

That night Lereon couldn’t stop thinking of what Jacksaw had said about his father. He spent weeks in training his aim because being a good archer was extremely important, learning hand to hand combat with a weapon and without. Though the most difficult was to know all the parts of armour a knight was to wear in battle, and the order they were to be put on.  At first he didn’t know why he had to but was soon told that he was to travel as Jacksaw’s page.

 

“Why must I travel as a page,” asked Lereon.

“Nobody will suspect that his royal highness who has been dead for nearly 16 years to travel as a page,” chuckled Jacksaw. Although the plan seemed faultless Lereon had his doubts.

“When will I leave my home?” asked Lereon mournfully.

“Oh, I’m afraid there isn’t long for we leave at the end of winter season,” stated Jacksaw. At the end of winter, but that was only like two weeks away and he was already dreading the day he would have to leave his humble home. The days were long but to poor Lereon they flew like sparrow’s flight. Then the day came when he was to leave, his mother wished him luck and safety and hugged him before he left for his perilous journey.

“Now not a word of sadness, this isn’t good bye. Be safe my son.” Jenova said as her voice started to crack.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4

 

“I understand your pain Lereon for I can only imagine what it’s like to leave the home and family you knew, but cheer up for we will pass your home many times throughout our Journey so you will be able to see your mother.” said Jacksaw, trying to console him.

 

On the second day after they had left Lereon’s home, the boy asked Jacksaw,” Where are we going?”

“Finally...I was wondering when you would ask that question, well the answer is simple we are going to see a mage.” stated Jacksaw in a matter of fact kind of way.

“A Mage!!” cried Lereon aloud,” but mages are known to be evil, they cast spells to get what they want and harm others.”

“Oh don’t be stupid, that is a sorcerer, mages are those who are called to aid others and repair the damage that sorcerers do.” Said Jacksaw

 “And how do you know this mage?” inquired Lereon.

“You never stop asking questions do you,” said Jacksaw in an annoyed tone,” he was actually on the counsel that your father set up.”

“Oh... well that changes everything.” said Lereon with relief.

 

 

 

They spent the next day walking while Jacksaw tried to give the boy all the wisdom he could think of. This was not too difficult because he was a bright lad.

 

On the third day they arrived at a small shack, outside there was a campfire, and a few skinned rabbits. From inside the shack they heard someone singing an awkward song; sometimes the singing would change to humming as if some parts of the song were long forgotten. Jacksaw made a gesture in front of his mouth to mean that Lereon was to be quiet. They crouched down behind a bush.

Suddenly the door opened and an old man in red velvet came out carrying a large cooking pot filled to the brim with water.

 

“…And they rod down the jolly hill

…Ti tum ti tum…

They walked to jolly old inn…”

 

“You never got tired of that stupid song did you” said Jacksaw aloud.

 

The old man spun around in shock nearly spilling the contents of the pot he was carrying all over himself, and then from fright his expression changed to joy.

“Jacksaw, by the sun and moon, what are you doing here you old war horse?” said the mage in a happy but curious kind of way.

Jacksaw walked out of the bushes and Lereon followed him out.

“I have someone here that I think you will be very surprised to meet,” said Jacksaw, he turned to face Lereon and said in a whisper,” show him your ring.”

Lereon had been wearing the ring form the moment it had been presented to him. He held out his hand with a closed fist, the sapphire gem glinting in the sunlight and in an instant the man sank to one knee and merely said the words that showed that he understood.

“My lord I place myself in your service.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   Chapter 5

 

This totally shocked Lereon by surprise, almost at once he sank to his knees next to the old man and said,

”You don’t need to bow before me, and if you can help me on my journey then I have no objection.”

“Thank you sire.” Said the man simply, as if overcome by the rules of and manners that are to be used when addressing royalty.

“My name is not sire, it is Lereon,” said Lereon smooth but firmly.

“As you wish, but I must introduce myself first, I am Orrin the mage, at your service.” said Orrin while rising, proud that he had achieved such a level wisdom.

“Well then Orrin I hope you can teach me because I know very little the outside world.” said Lereon.

“I would be honoured to walk by your side sire...err... I mean Lereon; and to aid you just as Jacksaw does.” stated Orrin.

“That’s settled then, Jacksaw where will we go next?” asked Lereon.

“We need to go to Hope Springs, some Elves live there and we need their permission if we wish to leave the forest through safe passage.” stated Jacksaw.

“Will they give us safe passage?” asked Lereon in an uncertain tone.

“Yes they would but I suggest that you remove the ring when we arrive there, it may give out the wrong impression.” said Jacksaw.

“What do you mean when you say it might give out the wrong impression?” asked Lereon, confused.
”As I told you before you and your mother are thought to be dead” Jacksaw reminded him.

“We must also meet with Aeonor for he was the youngest in the counsel and should now be in his prime.” said Orrin.

“Though we must hurry,” said Jacksaw with a worried tone,” Clavius is worried and has started trying to round up the old members of the counsel, Nora has already been captured and is being held prisoner in a keep, seven leagues away from hope springs. I know it sounds foolish but we may be able to free her, she would be a great help and she would be only to grateful”

“That is all well and good but we have not asked Lereon of what he thinks.” said Orrin.

They both looked at Lereon, smiling with a glint in their eyes.

“So we are three people with Aeonor’s help four, we are going to storm a keep, a low chance of success, are you both drunk?” said Lereon incredulously,” how would I recognize her?”

“Oh that’s easy she has red eyes, black hair, and has wings.” Stated Jacksaw in a tone that told Lereon he was not joking.

“Wings!” asked Lereon raising an eyebrow, “you’re not seriously trying to tell me that a demon was on the counsel... are you?”

“That’s actually quite right, your Father felt that if he placed on his counsel people that came from every corner of the Realm, including the Underworld and Divine world... he would have the best advice to conquer the problems of different people. They were like ambassadors but on a counsel that was loyal to him.” informed Orrin.

“Then I would be right in saying that we should make probably make haste to her aid.” said Lereon trying to show a little Maturity.

“Right you are Lereon; I shall pack my books, my rare herbs and my charms. Oh before I forget, the day Clavius attempted to kill you he also tried to destroy the counsel, I was of course spotted and chased through the great hall, I managed lose them by entering the treasury, while there I helped myself and took a small bag of gold, I hope you will not scorn me for that Lereon,” Explained Orrin.

“If my father was killed, then it was not his gold you took but usurped gold ’.” said Lereon.

“I hoped you would understand things my way,”

 

          After packing, he showed them the amount of gold which he had left, it wasn’t much but it was enough for the Journey and to hold them until they met with Aeonor.

 

While walking through the dense forest they would speak about past times and tell stories of when the council was still whole. Orrin was much older than he looked, Lereon’s first impression was that he was in his eighties but was astounded when he found out that he was in fact over two hundred and was approaching his two hundred and twenty seventh birthday. He soon learned that Orrin was no ordinary human; because he was a mage he had a longer life span enabling him to consult lords or kings, even though Orrin was doing none of this it didn’t mean that he was going to lose any of his powers.

 

After travelling for 8 leagues they came to where the gate house to hope springs was only a quarter of a league and was visible in the distance. However this was also the location of the Dead Orchard. A land where no sun would shine, but only cold winds under a never passing dark thundery clouds.  There was no life whatsoever, only death.

“What is this place?” asked Lereon in a horrified manner.

“This was once an orchard which would provide food for nearly half the population of Hope Springs but alas one day an undead warlock made the soil rot and soon there was a spot of cursed ground in the orchard and the farmers did everything they could but the spot grew and grew until the entire orchard was cursed ground.” explained Orrin.

“But then how come the cursed ground never grew beyond the boundaries” asked Lereon, confused.

“It’s quite simple, the warlock was commanded by the undead warlord Urthul to eradicate their main food supply and that was the orchard.” explained Orrin.

“I still say we should avoid this place all together” said Jacksaw in a defiant manner.

“Oh really, would you prefer to go through Nightward Forest?” Orrin asked in an impatient tone.

“Well no, but we could at least go through the gatehouse of Hope Springs.” said Jacksaw.

“Oh really, and what would we tell the guards there, hmm, let me see, oh yes, please leave us alone, Lereon the prince has risen from the grave and is rallying an army to challenge your liege Clavius the usurper the first.” Orrin said with a mocking tone.

“He does have a fair point Jacksaw.” Lereon

“How many guards are there?” asked Lereon who began brewing up a plan.

“There are only two, why?” Orrin said throwing Lereon a calculating look.

“And who’s men are they?” asked Lereon who’s plan was coming together.

“Those men are loyal only to Clavius; see they wear purple and black colours.”

“I’m more concerned about their weapons” Jacksaw interjected.

“Do you think they know how to use them?” Lereon asked.

After creeping through the underbrush and getting closer to the gatehouse they could make out the kind of weapons the guards where equipped with.  The two border guards where each carrying a scimitar like short sword which was sheathed, while they held a deadly looking pole arm. The guards were both sitting down on a bench that gave them a dominating view of the road.

“This is madness we’ll never be able to get through unscathed” Lereon said thoughtfully.

“We can’t kill them either because the watch here changes every three days meaning we’d be leaving a trail.” Orrin Explained.

“I think I have an idea, but first, Orrin do you have any powders or potions that would make an explosion if dropped?” Lereon asked hopeful that his comrade would provide the essential ingredient to his daring plan.

“ Well yes ...” the mage closed his eyes and it seemed as if a small vial appeared in his hand,” it will cause quite the explosion but it is mostly a parlour trick, not intended to do any harm really.

“I’ll need two...” Lereon said flatly but politely.

Orrin now seemed completely confused but produced a second vial nonetheless.

“Be ready, when I run you follow...”explained Lereon.

“What are you talking about...?” Orrin and Jacksaw said almost in unison.

Lereon took careful aim; he needed to throw one vial a great distance all the way to the bridge behind the gatehouse. Then launch the second vial into the top window of the gatehouse tower.

He threw the first, it didn’t land where he aimed but close enough, and the sound was like thunder as birds took to flight out of fright. The two guards clearly caught off guard, raced to open the small door in the gate and went through to investigate,

“Are you out of your mind boy...?!” Jacksaw hissed.

Lereon took aim and launched the second vial and managed to toss it through the top window of the gate house tower. This time the explosion sounded larger due to the echo. The guards acted as Lereon hoped they would and he saw them return back to their side and race inside the gatehouse. Leaving the small door in the main gate open.

“Come on...” Lereon whispered as he raced off making towards the door. Orrin and Jacksaw running half a second behind him and trying to keep up. That half second being for them to realise how stupidly clever Lereon’s plan was. As they raced through the doorway they realised the bridge was unguarded on the other side and all dashed and made for the tree line on the other side. As they neared the tree line Lereon dove for the bushes and as he landed face first in the dirt, stayed perfectly still. Jacksaw and Orrin following suite.

“By all the gods and that which is holy? How did that just work?” whispered Jacksaw clearly dumbstruck.

“It would seem the prince shares his father’s trait of stupidly dumb luck” Said Orrin while picking a leaf out of his beard.

“Lereon, next time you get a plan, warn us before putting into action. It would make things a little easier on poor old Orrin’s heart “Jacksaw said, clearly trying to poke fun at his friend.

“Yes Lereon, bear in mind that soldiers get a little lock jointed if they haven’t seen combat in a while” retorted Orrin with a cheeky smile , “However, instead of continuing our indirect debate we should press forward. Hope Springs isn’t going anywhere but we need to find Aeonor if we are to have any chance of freeing Nora.”

“You really think that the four of us can storm a keep? Which reminds me, just which keep is she imprisoned in?” said Jacksaw with a strong hint of apprehension.

“Well you see that is why we need Aeonor; we will need all the help we can get. Nora is imprisoned at the Star Stone Keep....” replied Orrin. Orrin was trying desperately to hide the growing apprehension but Lereon and Jacksaw saw through his attempt.

“Are you mad?? Have you come to your wits end? “Jacksaw hissed while they continued forward.

“Will someone just tell me what is so special about this keep?” exclaimed Lereon. Lereon feeling as if his companions had forgotten he was there.

“Star Stone Keep is built in the centre of a crater that was made when a meteorite or a many common folk know it a star stone fell from the heavens. It created a crater that was a league wide; this made it the perfect for the building of a keep that would act as a prison for only the most dangerous of criminals. It is impossible to escape without great help from the outside. I should know; I was the one who advised your father to have it built. Must admit that I never imagined I would one day be trying to release one of the prisoners inside,” explained Orrin, “rather poetic ironic, wouldn’t you agree?”

“This still doesn’t explain why Aeonor is so crucial...” Jacksaw interjected with a dead pan expression.

Orrin now a little impatient at the constant interruptions,

“Aeonor is the best long distance archer is he not... Well the last time I travelled past it, I was forced to make camp nearby and noticed that they are not using the right amount of guards for the watch tower. I had recommended to your father that three men would be needed to make watch from the tower. However the present warden and commander of the Keep have seen fit to relax the amount of men on patrol at night, “Explained Orrin, “You can’t really blame him to be honest. Who in their right mind would attempt to free a demon as powerful as Nora?” chuckled Orrin.

“Yes.  Who indeed?” said Jacksaw starting to understand Orrin line of thought.

“You realise that this Aeonor must be able to shoot at and hit the guards in watchtower from half a league away. “ Lereon said, clearly unbelieving at the thought of such marksmanship.

“I would be more surprised if he didn’t manage, “said Jacksaw,” despite his obsession with being drunk he is probably the finest archer that ever lived, or ever will. Especially considering that his finest shots mean that he must be drunk for him to be able to do them.”

“You must be joking “, chuckled Lereon. Barely being able to comprehend how it would be possible for anyone to have reasonable co-ordination, let alone aim while being drunk.

“I wish I was”, chuckled Jacksaw,” but I’ve seen him split arrows that had already hit the centre of the bulls eye with fresh ones more times than I’ve gone to battle…… Alright… alright let’s go and get him. He’s probably knee deep in trouble and with a purse as empty as beggar’s stomach”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   Chapter 6

 

For what seemed like the better part of the day they walked through the grove and in the distance and through the trees, buildings were coming in to view. The sounds of a bustling town were starting to be heard as the wind carried them. Lereon was beginning to marvel at the sheer size of the buildings. With the high towers and walls and colourful banners and flags. They had arrived at Hope Springs It occurred to him that they were moving ever so closer to the city wall but at one point changed direction sharply so as to come out on the road and not attract unwanted attention from the guards perched on the wall. Lereon compared them to ravens, waiting for their next prey but thought little of them. As they found the road and started to walk along it, Lereon could see all sorts of people from merchant to soldiers, some rich and some clearly quite poor. It was however the different races that struck him. He recognised what they were but was still struck by their appearances. He saw a pair of dwarves that were almost a foot shorter then him but they were so stocky and muscular that he imagined their armour and clothes barely managing not to rip under the strain of their wearers. Elves were tall and slender, they clearly had strength but it was nothing in comparison to a dwarf. He presumed that they were quite fleet on foot and agile. He was shocked to see a centaur, and was told not to stare by Orrin. What puzzled him the most was a pair that stood in the shadows, their skin seemed to have a grey hue while their eyes shone bright blue, similar to the aqua marine dress his mother used to wear. He could tell they were not human but could not quite understand. Orrin followed Lereon’s gaze and quickly realised that the boy was puzzled as to who but more importantly what they are.

“They are Sanguines or Sangaer, whichever you prefer… They feed of the blood of the living to feed their immortal state,” explained Orrin.

Horrified Lereon looked at Orrin and soft said” What do you mean by this? Do you mean they kill people to feed on their blood? “

“They can feed of any living creatures blood but make no mistake, it is said that human and elf blood is by far their favourite”.

“Please say that you jest… surely they wouldn’t be allowed to roam the city if that was true”

“They are allowed into civilisation if they can act civilised and feed on livestock, although no one trusts them”.

“If they are immortal, what’s to stop them from attempting to wage war on us all?” asked Lereon, slight less fearful but a little more thoughtful.

“Now you are thinking like a king concerned for his people, they have some weaknesses, fire burns them much more then it harms us, and they are also incapable of holding gold for it burns them like red hot iron would. That’s why they always trade only in silver or precious gems.”

“But…”

“No buts, we don’t have time to waste.” Orrin said with a hint of anxious impatience.

They continued to walk through a market seeing various merchants selling a wide variety wares, some things which Lereon had no idea what they were or what was their purpose. He found quite surprising how briskly Orrin and Jacksaw were walking and decided to keep his head down and follow without a word. He noticed that they were slowly exiting the market and approaching what looked like to be a large square surrounded by large beautifully carved white columns. Lereon noticed that it was stone but he could not understand what kind of stone. Its surface was so smooth it seemed wet and had strange irregular patterns of lighter or darker hues. For all the commotion and noise that was in the market it was relatively quiet in the square and quite empty. He quickened his pace and made his way to Jacksaw. He leaned towards him and whispered,

“How it is so quiet and what is this place?” Lereon asked.

 “It’s a place of reverence.” Jacksaw replied.

“Reverence to what?”

“Not now, later. Just keep walking.”

As they crossed the square Lereon noticed how the white stone beneath his feet shone very brightly in the sun, however seem to glow a little brighter where they walked. As they approached the other side of the square Lereon noticed that two figured which previously seem to have the same path as him and his friends had stopped suddenly and had decided to stay back late aged men which now seemed to be in a deep and excited conversation. Now back in busy streets they made their way towards an inn. Upon entering, the strong smell of beer and vomit were almost overpowering. To his surprise, Orrin and Jacksaw seemed unfazed. He looked towards Orrin and asked

“What is that ungodly smell?”

To which Orrin replied with a chuckle, “That’s the smell of bored soldiers.”

As they spoke Lereon noticed Jacksaw make his way to the bar and after a quick word with the man behind the counter he dropped three coins into the man’s hand and took a key that had been set on the bar.

“That’s us set up for the night, we’re in the third door on the left”. As they made their way upstairs and entered their room, Lereon just realised how tired he was from their journey and was looking forward to sleeping in a proper bed. He looked over to Orrin and Jacksaw and asked,

“Now, where do we find Aeonor?”

“We’ll rest until night fall and then we’ll need to look for either the worst tavern fight or the loudest celebration.” Replied Jacksaw.

“Never ceases to amaze me how much time Aeonor loves to waste time and how incomprehensible the meaning of stealth is to him.” Muttered Orrin which rolling his eyes. Lereon decided to lie down and rest on one of the beds, slowly his mind turning to his mother. He hoped she was alright, he would pray to the gods later to watch over her and give her the strength to carry on without him for now. He had promised to visit whenever his travels took him near their home again and intended to keep that promise. Slowly he started to drift off into sleep. It was his thoughts though that held him at the precise moment between sleep and awake, an almost trance like state. He could see his home, his mother at the door. She was smiling at him and he thought he heard her say the words, “Not yet my son…. Soon…. But not yet.”

He was suddenly being shaken. It was Jacksaw.

“Wake up Lereon, we need to head out to find Aeonor.”

“How long have I been sleeping?” asked Lereon as he rubbed his eyes.

“Around two or three hours… “Said Orrin who was sitting at a chair in the far corner of the room. Even as Orin spoke he didn’t avert his eyes from what looked like a letter that he was reading.

“I have to say Jacksaw, if this letter is correct then finding Aeonor is now of paramount importance.” Orrin was now looking at Jacksaw with an anxious yet twinkle of hope in his eyes.

“What’s he talking about?” asked Lereon as he turned to look at Jacksaw as he got up from the bed.

“Around two months ago… before I found you and your mother I received a letter from Aeonor which said that he would leave an important message for me with the owner of this inn. While you slept I retrieved it and I could see why Aeonor left the letter here. He knew the barkeep would keep the letter hidden for a fee and luckily he can’t read either. The point is that Aeonor has managed to make contact with a group of resistance fighters.”

“These resistance fighters are not soldiers, rallying them might be as good as signing their death warrant.” Orrin said pointedly, as if trying to cut him off.

“You are of course right, these men and women were nothing but farmers, men and women of various trades and merchants that have secretly been undermining the rule of the baron that is at present the master of Hope Springs. However it is most fortunate that we have come to hope springs at a time were the civil unrest of Hope Springs is growing to a critical point. They are planning on sneaking into the council house and taking the Baron Olforth hostage.”

“But that won’t solve anything, the town has the air of being held under as iron fist. With or without this Olforth the people are losing their will. The common folk might see it as losing one tyrant and gaining another. Ironically the citizens of Hope springs are in need of exactly that…. Hope.” Reasoned Lereon.

“You are of course absolutely correct Lereon,” said Orrin, while looking at him with curiosity,”… and what would you suggest?”

“I would say they need something to look up to, a symbol, something like a common banner….” Lereon said thoughtfully.

“Yes… but not what…I think it’s more of who.” Orrin said slyly. Lereon went a little pale at the remark.

“You are not suggesting what I think you are…” interjected Jacksaw, with a look of incredulity, “He’s nowhere near ready to face that kind of attention. Not to mention the fact that we would lose our element of surprise.”

“I say we find Aeonor before we continue this discussion…either way we need him and we can worry about this when the time comes. “Lereon stated, as he tried to avoid the subject. They both knew he was right. Lereon could not help but feel the pressures on him growing. Before coming to Hope springs he had the option to turn back and abandon this venture. However he was fast approaching a point of no return. A decision he knew he would soon have to make. Keep the element of surprise yet abandon common folk in this town to misery or abandon that element of surprise and hope that if he helped overthrow Olforth, he could elect a leader that is both wise and just for hope springs.

 

They all collected their things and made their way downstairs

“Right, I’ll speak to barkeep and ask if he knows where we might find Aeonor, why don’t you two make your way out and wait for me. “Said Jacksaw.

“Alright… come Lereon.” Orrin had started to turn to the door.

As they found themselves outside Orrin looked at Lereon, “ you’re starting to feel it aren’t you… the weight of deciding what is the right course of action, or perhaps it’s the fate of these citizens that troubles you.”

Lereon nodded his agreement, “When playing chess you play the king with his army, but this is far from a game.”

“Ah yes …. It’s strange you know…. When people see leaders they see power and glory, and yet leaders see it as a position of grave responsibility and difficult decision making. Those leaders who don’t understand this are typically tyrants.” Explained Orrin, who was starting to see more and more that this young upstart truly was his late Majesty’s son. He did not yet display some of the more prominent attitudes of a leader but he was soon learning the true reasoning’s of one.

“Right then let’s try to find that mad elf” said Jacksaw as he exited the inn to join. They walked around the town for what seemed like the better part of an hour and a half. As they approached a tavern that they had already gone past earlier. They heard someone singing in the tavern to the sound of fast paced music.

“He’s in there” said Jacksaw.

“How do you know that? Haven’t we already searched that tavern earlier?” Lereon said.

“Because I know that voice, its Aeonor alright.”

They went inside. Lereon glad for the warmth inside. There was a large fire in the hearth and the smell of roasting meats and ale wafted through the air. Everyone was either eating, drinking or dancing to the music. It was then that Lereon spotted who Aeonor must be. A lone elf stood singing in the corner next to a group playing various musical instruments. The three of them made their way to the front of the crowd and as they got to the front. Aeonor spotted Orrin and Jacksaw and his expression turned from revelry to that of exasperation and rolled his eyes. He approached them but paid no attention to Lereon.

“Jacksaw... Orrin… you couldn’t give me one night of revelry could you…”said Aeonor. His voice sounded sharp to Lereon, clear and articulate without even the slightest hint of a slur despite the drinking.

“We need to speak privately… and I mean now.” Explained Orrin who was clearly impatient after all the searching.

“Yes, yes of course; my room should suffice. Follow me”

Jacksaw kept looking over his shoulder as if looking for any tell-tale signs of someone following them. Lereon was not quite sure what to make of this tall elf; he was sure that Aeonor was drunk and yet could not see the typical signs that the elf was drunk. They discretely made their way past the bar and up a flight of steps. Once inside a room Aeonor locked the door behind them once they were all inside.

“So Jacksaw would you explain to me where you got the money to afford a page.” Now looking at Lereon.

“I am not a page...” Lereon started.

“It’s very obvious you are no such thing, so my question to the two of you is simple… who is he?” now looking at Orrin and Jacksaw.

“I’m the rightful king of Berothia.” said Lereon in a matter of fact way that surprised even himself. Aeonor turned back to him and went down into a half crouch, smiled and said “Are you now? Prove it”.

Lereon showed him the ring and Aeonor sighed and his head dropped to look at the floor.

“And the Gods f**k I once more… damn it”. He looked back up and this time sank to one knee.

“We’ll your grace, it would seem that I pledge my allegiance if you would have it.” Said Aeonor.

“Aeonor we need your help and if what you said in the letter you left for Jacksaw is true then we have to act as quickly as we can. “ said Orrin.

“I’ll take you to them at once, however you must understand that these men are not happy with serving the current lord here. I am not sure that they will take kindly to a new one.” Explained Aeonor with a tone that showed caution. A serious sign in Jacksaw and Orin’s view.

“Then how do I earn their loyalty?” asked Lereon.

“They must choose you.”

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

They were now four. Lereon knew that the choice of secrecy was now gone. He felt no regret. He felt a sense of duty as they walked through the streets. He saw that despite the revelry in taverns, the peaceful walkers in the night. There was fear in their eyes. A fear of the tyrants that regulated their lives. He felt the sense of duty no longer weigh him like a stone, it now fuelled his resolve, he was afraid but he was determined to show courage. He knew that if he even helped one town. It would be an honourable achievement. He knew that he was about to embark on a journey with many perils. A journey that his companions were ready to follow him on, his journey to end the tyranny. His road to the throne.

They approached what appeared to be a tailor’s shop. Aeonor knocked five times on the door. A frail voice spoke from inside, “who’s there, we’re closed for the night”.

“I search for a banner as I have none to follow” replied Aeonor. The sound of lock bolts being moved and the door was opened. As the door opened a frail man appeared behind it, he looked at them and said “enter friends.” They went in and all seemed very normal. Sewing supplies in one corner, various rolls of fabric in various places. A workstation and next to it a waist high counter stood in the middle of the room. As Aeonor moved towards the counter, the old man wordlessly closed door and bolted it. Aeonor now lifted the counter top upwards and revealed a set of stairs that descended down into a cellar of sorts. They walked down the steps and Lereon calculated that they had now gone descended roughly two storeys below the street level.

“Now listen to me, be careful not make any outbursts. These men are men of principle but they will not take kindly to anyone trying to insult them. So everyone stay calm… especially you Jacksaw.

“Just remember that if we get hurt or killed or maimed, it’s you who will boot, do you understand? Replied Jacksaw.

“It’s a wonder you’re not a charmer with the women old friend” replied Aeonor sarcastically.

As they approached end of the staircase, Lereon could a see a door and they started to hear the sounds of laughter and chatting. Upon entering they found themselves in an empty cistern. Men shouted greetings to Aeonor and eyed the others with suspicion. Lereon counted an estimated eighty men inside.

Aeonor asked were someone named Athbar. Men started to call the name Athbar until one man approached. He was short haired with an athletic build and drooped brown eyes. He had the look of someone that was more accustomed to a battlefield then a banquet. He wore leather armour.

The man called for silence and the entire hall quieted down.

“Aeonor why do you bring these men here, you know zat no one enters here without permission from us all.  Much less men zat are not from this city.”

“Forgive me Athbar but I think you’ll want to meet these men” said Aeonor.

“Now why would I care about them, you sir, old man, why have you come?” asked Athbar with a look of mixed curiosity and caution.

“You have no banners, but what if you have one to follow?” asked Orin with face void of expression.

“Who’s banner would be good enough? Why would I choose another man to command me?” asked Athbar with a mock stupidity.

“The banner of your rightful king…” replied Jacksaw.

The room fell silent. All the men in the cistern now started to slowly rise and put hands to their swords however were clearly waiting for a command from Athbar.

“And would zat be you sir?” directing his question to Jacksaw with mockery in his tone.

“It would be me…”said Lereon. All eyes in the room were transfixed on Lereon.

The Entire room except for Lereon and his companions erupted with laughter.

“You…Aeonor you jest if you think I would bend the knee to a boy” said Athbar.

“What would I need to do to earn your respect?” asked Lereon. All eyes had now turned to him. Orin’s and Jacksaw’s faces both had the expression as if to say that that was the last thing he should have asked; Aeonor’s expression was more of a “you asked for it”.

“To earn my respect?” Athbar now looked at Lereon as if to measure him, “A trial by combat. “, said Athbar.

 

 

Lereon was led to a room alongside Jacksaw to prepare for the trial. The first of many. Jacksaw was clearly very angry with him and at the same time terrified of the outcome should Lereon fail.

“You just had to ask him didn’t you…Lereon you don’t have to prove anything. You have the right to be king, it’s your birth right. Don’t you understand that if you fail here, all is lost?” Pleaded Jacksaw.

Lereon was silently removing any extra layers of clothing that would otherwise slow him down.

“If I fail here then I would never been able to lead an army, much less rule ...” Lereon turned towards the door and shouted his ready. The door was opened by a tall and muscular bald man he nodded as a sign of respect, but it was not respect earned. The man led him through a corridor that led to what Lereon realised would be the cistern core. A circular stone pit. Ironic how the core of a fresh water supply, a source of life in the event of siege would now become an arena, a place of life still but more so of death.

Athbar was already there. He gestured to Lereon to the side were weapons hung on hooks. But they were not weapons. They were farming tools.

“These aren’t real weapons” said Lereon, now confused.

“Only a man zat has nothing sometimes can earn something.”

Lereon realised that this was not just a test but it was also the lesson. One that would either teach him or kill him. Lereon had been awarded first choice. Lereon weighed which would suite him best. He knew the scythe would have a blade but he settled on a pitchfork, understanding that it was the closest thing to a spear; his weapon of choice. Athbar eyed him with curiosity. Athbar saw the pitchfork as the weaker of the choices. In his eyes it had no blade and would not be very manageable.

They took their positions. Both at opposing ends facing the other. The men’s loud chatter was now quieting down to a whispers. Orrin Stood at the edge of the pit with a look of worry. He uttered a single word.

“Begin”

 

Athbar leapt forward towards Lereon and his men erupted in cheers. Lereon saw his opponent swing the scythe towards him, he knew that he had to block the blade and not its staff. He made a split second decision to side step and the blade harmless swung by him, Athbar had anticipated this and decided to try and swing the scythe horizontally towards Lereon’s lower calve. Lereon barely managed to jump over it but realised that this time he had made a mistake. He had jumped to high, the split seconds it took him to reach the ground again were being used by Athbar to swing the scythe around his head and over him until he brought it down with him. Lereon barely managed to position the pitchforks head at the scythe blades inside to block. Now back on the ground he pushed upwards on the pitchfork, sending Athbar back a few paces to regain balance and as he did Lereon brought the back of the pitchfork up and thrust into Athbar’s lower stomach. Athbar doubled over and backed away and as he did, Athbar saw the pitchforks head swing down at him and he felt its side crash into his back. It was over as quickly as it had begun.

Time seemed to slow down to Athbar as the impact sent him recoiling forward, in a split second instant his grasp slipped from the scythe. He decided there was no point now at try to evade death. He knew by the time he would push himself forward, the Pitchfork’s head would find his exposed back. He did not move, he waited for death. But death never came. He looked up to see Lereon, staring down at him with the pitchfork aimed right at him and ready to strike, but the little prince did not have the look of gloating, no smirk. Simply a serious calculated expression. Lereon had his pitchfork aimed right at him. He needed to do no more than twitch and he knew he’d be done for.

 

The room was quiet now. Cheers turned to shock. Lereon raised the pitchfork away from Athbar’s face. Instead, he offered his hand and after a few moments of shock Athbar took it and Lereon helped him to his feet.

“Now…now we shall speak.” Said Athbar, now gesturing to his men “the rest of you have work to do, be back in a few hours.” The area quickly cleared. The chatter among the freedom fighters was quite clear. They could not have imagined this outcome.

The four companions followed Athbar through a few a narrow passages until they came to what they realised must be the makeshift war room and commanders quarter’s. A large table was littered with empty goblets a few plates and an assortment of maps, letters, and many books.

“May I offer you wine my lords?” Athbar now started to pour wine into five goblets,” I make sure to keep a good quantity in stock. After all zat b*****d Olforth won’t notice a few bottles of the ze good stuff are missing. “

“But wouldn’t that be drawing attention to yourselves?” asked Lereon.

“Hah, his men would rather hang zemselves before telling his lordship zat their incompetence has led to the freedom fighters making attempts on his personal supply of fancy foods and beverages.” Said Athbar with a smirk.” What I am wondering, is what you would like from me?”

“I want to end the tyranny and for that I need your allegiance. We have the same cause. If we could unite against a common enemy…”

“.. Let me guess, put you on ze throne, what would zat change? We would be replacing one ruler for another” Athbar interjected.

“I am not my uncle, I would strive for peace and prosperity.”

Athbar now turned to Lereon with curiosity, “and who is your uncle?”

“You know him as the high king Clavius.” Said Orrin.

Athbar was dumbstruck, his face a mixture of terror and hate.

“But zat… zat would mean … zat would mean you are the rightful heir to the kingdom. You have put me and my men at great risk by coming.” Stammered Athbar.

“Athbar I know you seek justice for the crimes wrought against your comrades and this city. But there are hundreds of thousands that have suffered. That are still suffering. I have a responsibility and I have to do something. Like you had to do something.”

“And what is it zat you plan on doing?”

“I need to re-join my father’s old council but more importantly I need to give my people something to believe in. I cannot wage war without them.”

“But zere are no soldiers in zis city. We have plenty of good men but no real weapons, no leaders…”

“They have you Athbar…”

“Athbar don’t you have military training?” interjected Orrin.

“I do but what is ze point if the men I command are not trained and have no real weapons?” said Athbar, frustrated with the situation.

“Athbar, if you give me your loyalty I will give you a place as the right hand to this city’s reagent  and the city will be free of tyranny once more.”

“And just how do you plan on doing all zis... let alone giving me zis honour?” asked Athbar incredulously.

“I need you to wait no more than a four days for me to rescue a council member and to return. Then… then I’m going to make Olforth handover the city.”

“Hand it over… why would he even think of doing zat?”

“Does he have children?”

 

Chapter 8

The night passed slowly and Lereon was more than glad for it, it meant he had plenty of time to sleep. He was woke up in the early hours of the morning and seeing that he was the first one up he would dress and wake his comrades. After a quick check of gear and supplies they found Athbar in his quarters still pouring over maps. He looked up as they entered.

“Good morning, I trust you slept well.”

“It’s amazing at the difference of going to sleep in known safety rather than fear, we are most grateful.” replied Jacksaw.

“Think nothing of it. As I see it, if you plan on going to Star stone keep and return within a four days’ time then you’ll need horses to cross the plain before you reach the shore. Also should you cross the lake here, “Athbar now pointed to a point on a map were the land met the lake,” you can meet a friend who can take you across the lake. The crater’s edge is but a short distance from the shore here,” as he pointed to another location on the opposite side of the lake. “

“Who is this friend of yours?” asked Orin,” can he be trusted?”

“Dylus is an old friend and he owes a few favours to me. I have sent word to him, do not worry he is trust worthy and he won’t ask questions. Just tell him you … fly as gulls do over water… zat will mean I sent you. Tell him what you need of him and he’ll not ask questions, he’ll simply send me a request for a favour… or a bill hah. Never ze less the arrangements have all been made for you and you can travel at first light tomorrow. This way you can go to Star stone, finish whatever your business is zere and gods willing return within four days, provided you survive at all. Make no mistake I am only helping you at ze moment because I have a feeling zat you will keep your word. I do not trust you yet. Should you stand by your word little prince zen I swear by all ze gods zat you will have my allegiance. Now since you have plenty of time to spare until zen. I suggest zat you continue to regain your strength and explain what your plan is for Olforth. “Finished Athbar.

All eyes turned towards Lereon. It was starting to begin. Lereon was continuing to grasp the meaning of leadership, the fact that things were relying on him choosing a course of action. He had to look at all the angles, like a game of chess. The right choices brought him closer to achieving what still seemed impossible, one wrong move and it would mean lives, and not just his.

“Well first of all thank you for all the help you have already provided. As to how I help you. Well I plan on making Olforth choose his children instead of the city. We’ll need a way into the manor house.”

“Ze manor house is a long house zat is on the northwest side of the city, its ze only building with its own wall around it. Heavily guarded walls might I add. Only a few inside to patrol the ground floor but no one is allowed on ze upper floors. Unless you can drop from ze sky and onto ze roof I can hardly see an easy way in.”

Lereon had a glint in his eyes. Lereon’s comrades all saw it, a hint of a smile had crept onto his face.

“You cannot be serious.” Orin said pointedly towards Lereon as Jacksaw groaned with a look of disbelief as the Lereon’s plan dawned on his.

Aeonor on the other hand was smiling broadly, “You know I knew I’d like you… you’ve got your mothers skill at eloquence, but it’s your father’s knack at the insane brilliance that I like best I think.”

“I still do not understand what ze plan is” Athbar said as he looked from face to face, confusion written all over his face.

“Believe me when I say that you wouldn’t even if explained it to you until you saw it with your own eyes.”

 

They spent the remainder of the day studying maps of the city. Lereon needed to know its layout well. Were the highest towers were, were the walls were strongest. More importantly he needed to know what sort of economy it had. Orin explained that taking the city would prove easier than ruling it. Athbar explained that while the city had great potential to be great as it once was, the hardest part would be to inspire and bring hope to those who had lost everything; to show that Hope Springs was more than just a city to its citizens, it was their home. Athbar explained that the treasury vaults were filled with over taxation and so were the grain and food reserves. They would need to make a plan so as to re-establish order once there were no guards, another for redistribution of wealth and what could be produced in the city for the sake of commerce.

Athbar explained that there was plenty of farmland to the south that could still be utilized, the western woods were a rich source of wild game and wood. Olforth had suppressed the Woodsmen’s guild and had made the hunting illegal for all but a few that could afford a heavy tax. Farmers were brought to the point of poverty through the use of force, threats, extortion and further taxation. In short Olforth had brought the city to its knees, its citizens were little more than slaves; Olforth was bleeding them dry and showed no sign of pity or that he felt he had taken enough. Olforth’s greed for wealth came with a heavy cost that was felt by all the people of Hope Springs. Lereon was infuriated to learn all of this and inwardly vowed to see to it that he would not rest until every man, woman and child in Hope springs would see Justice be done. He knew that he would need to choose a regent to stand in his stead once he had to continue his Journey. Who could he trust to leave behind and rule with kindness and mercy as he would, yet would have the capability to maintain order? He was not yet sure and thought it better to focus on the task that still remained and that was removing Olforth. All this provided that he could get Nora out of Star stone without getting himself killed. Lereon found himself a goblet from a nearby table while they all talked. He filled it with wine and decided to down the entire goblet before refilling it. Aeonor was listening to the others discuss plans and stately affairs, his eyes however were on Lereon. After a little more discussion. Everyone it seemed was interested to get food, drink and rest. Not Necessarily in that order. As everyone left the room Aeonor stayed.

“Something troubling you Lereon?”

“No nothing, and everything at once. We are discussing plans on what to do should everything succeed. What are the chances that we’ll succeed? What are the odds of success?”

“We have a chance to succeed?” asked Aeonor mockingly as he poured himself a cup of wine and started to drink from it.

“That’s not helping”

“Oh come now Lereon, we all realise that this endeavour is ludicrous and might be the reason for our deaths in probably the most horrific and painful ways…”

“…You’re not very good at encouragement are you?”

 

“…however its thinking like that will make it a reality. We face unprecedented odds. I doubt that anyone besides the Gods could have written our fates because I doubt that there is a single sane or insane soul that could have pre written our paths for this life. All we can do is see where life leads us, what choices it offers. Eventually we all die, the question is how to do it. I’ll tell you I would rather die fighting for a cause then in bed of old age, regretting a safe but empty life… Cheer up … stranger things have happened. If I heard right a month ago you thought yourself a peasant and turned out to be prince and rightful heir to a kingdom. Oh and let’s not forget that shortly after that you had earned the respect of a small militia and are planning the takeover of a city and that’s not strange at all and is very common and could happen to anyone.” Aeonor downed his cup and then grabbed the wine bottle and in one breath downed the entire thing.

“I need more wine… and I need w***e.”

“It’s the middle of the day Aeonor.” Lereon incredulous now to the elf’s odd impulses.

“All the more reason to find something to do”.

With that Aeonor walked out still holding the empty bottle. Lereon could not help but wonder if the strange elf was wise or drunk. Perhaps both. His word had weight to them and despite coming from the mouth of a drunk, they provided some comfort. Aeonor was right thought Lereon. If he simply kept questioning his own actions then he would lose sight of the goals and would not be focus to achieve them. He felt a fire burn within him, a courage; a true courage that despite all his fears he found some will to go on. To make right the wrongs that his uncle had committed. To give his father’s sacrifice a purpose. He left the room and within it he also left his anxiety.

 

By the time Lereon and his friends had finished eating, it was nearing dusk and decided that an early night would serve them well if they were to leave before first light. As Lereon lay in bed waiting for sleep, he wondered what he would say to his uncle should he ever reach that point. He turned his thoughts quickly to the task that lay before him. In less than four days he was to storm a keep and then overthrow a tyrant. Too many it would seem the kind of talk that a madman would say. Yet around him lay three others fast asleep, another lay a stone’s throw away down the hall. All whom believed he could. He drifted off now.  Sleep’s gentle relaxing embrace now overpowering him.

 

That night no dreams appeared before him, only blackness. A gentle relaxing blackness.

 

He was awoken by Aeonor, “Wake up Lereon. We must leave the city under the cover of night if we are to even hope that we can reach Star Stone without someone spotting us.”

 They all moved quickly to pack their gear and things. As they followed Athbar through a different tunnel and up a flight of steps. They found themselves under a trap door of sorts. As they climbed through they found themselves in the ruins of what looked like to be an old stone house.  A few men stood waiting, some watching for any sign of city guards, the rest tending to four horses. They mounted up and prepared to leave.

Athbar now turned to them.

“Take ze south gate, it is ze least guarded, once you go a little down the road, you’ll quickly find s fork in ze road, take ze left fork and as you get a little further from the city spur the horses into a gallop. zat way you won’t raise too much suspicion on your way out and once you are out of ze guards line of sight zey won’t have time to come after you to satisfy any curiosity zat might gnaw at zem.” Explained Athabar.

“Many thanks Athbar…” replied Jacksaw.

“Don’t thank me, just make sure you return to uphold you word or may you meet ze devils of hell.”

With that they left, as they rode the horses towards the city gate Lereon leaned towards Jacksaw who rode alongside him and spoke softly, “Clearly no one has bothered to explain to Athbar why we are going to Star Stone. “

Jacksaw glanced at Lereon. Jacksaw started to chuckle and turned to face the road once more as he continued to chuckle, “It would seem that way wouldn’t it……… but I think he’ll understand it when we return it.”

As Lereon leaned back into the proper riding position he replied,” somehow I don’t think it will be that simple.”

“Since when is anything Orin is involved in simple “quipped Jacksaw.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2014 lereon


Author's Note

lereon
Please be aware that this is still a rough. Its nowhere near polished and or finished

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
Added on December 15, 2014
Last Updated on December 15, 2014

Author

lereon
lereon

Ghaxaq, Malta



About
Im a metal head, and im obsessed with fantasy and fiction books.I can be funny,kind and sincere, but i tend to have a devious mind more..

Writing