The road to the throne

The road to the throne

A Story by lereon
"

This is a book im writing , its not done so give me your ideas about it

"

A Road to the throne

By Matthew Sciriha

Prologue

 

It was never meant to be.  Everyone thought he was to grow up, get married to the woman of his dreams and he would have been crowned, but it was never meant to be. From the moment the boy was born his uncle began conspiring against his father.  His father was killed by a group of mercenaries hired and loyal to the boy’s uncle. Although the mother had fled holding her son in one arm and whatever she could carry in the other.

 

Time passed and the boy grew up into healthy teenager.  He was named Lereon, which in the ancient tongue meant Lion for the eons.

 

He and his mother had lived in an isolated valley where there where plenty of game and resources.  She had taken books with her so as to teach him all that was to be known.  She taught him Mathematics, ways how to address people of different classes, reading and writing.

The only things he was never taught was how to fight.  Being his mother, she could not, for she knew nothing of the sort.

 

CHAPTER 1

 

One day Lereon was hunting.  He stood still waiting for the clean shot, within a second he had thrown the spear and hit the boar in his neck.  He stood up and went up to the now fallen creature.

“A fine shot if I ever saw one”, said a voice.

Lereon turned around and saw a stout bearded man. He was tall and broad shouldered, his hair was long , messy and hazelnut brown.

“Who are you, good sir?” Lereon asked.

“I, oh my name is Jacksaw, Jacksaw the ranger, and I already know who you are.”

“How?” asked Lereon cautiously.

“Let us go see your mother…. yes, I know of your mother.” he added upon seeing the alarmed look on Lereon.

“Will you help me carry the boar back to my camp?” asked Lereon.

“But of course m’lad, I’d be happy to help.” replied Jacksaw.

“Thank you.” said Lereon.

They tied the boar to the spear by its legs.

They talked little on their way back. Upon reaching the camp Lereon’s mother shouted with surprise and happiness,

“Jacksaw, my faithful friend and servant, how have you been all these years!?”

“I have been well, I had spent my time after that.......er…..incident looking for you and the boy.”

“So how on earth did you find us?” asked Jenova.

“Well, until recently, I was in despair, but when I saw your lad throw a spear with that ferocity and aim I knew he was his Late Lordship’s son.  That skill isn’t taught but it comes through inheritance of the family traits.”

“Will you join us for supper?” asked Jenova.

“It will be an honour to dine with the prince” said Jacksaw.

“The who?” asked Lereon, confused.

 “I see you never told him, did you Jenova?” said Jacksaw flatly.

“I was waiting for the right moment.” said Jenova sadly.

“Then I think we shall speak during supper.”

“Yes, I think that would be in order, and I’ll have time to think on how everything happened.” said Jenova.

 

CHAPTER 2

Lereon sat on the damp grass.  While sitting there, smelling the earthly smell, he watched his mother prepare the table on which they where to eat at.  That night, had he not caught the boar, they would have had to eat some gruel.  He was thinking about what this stranger was going to tell him about his past and what is to become of him.  His mother was clumsily setting the table. Lereon was surprised to see her hands tremble so much, unlike her usual confident self.

 

When she announced that diner was set he was the last to be seated.

 

“Now then, were to begin, Jenova did you tell the boy anything?” asked Jacksaw frankly.

His mother merely stared at her plate.

“I see,” Jacksaw sighed,”Lereon, my boy I don’t know how to put it simpler so I’ll just say it. You are a Prince!”

“What?!” said Lereon who almost knocked over his goblet, “what did you say I am?!”

“You are a prince, so now I’ll begin my story and tell you how it all happened.

It was a cold night that your father, the King of Berothia, was betrayed. He knew that there were spies inside the castle but didn’t know who to point fingers at. He and his counsel of men from all lands and races had gathered and founded the Order of the Dragon heart.  They all knew each other inside out and they were sure that none in the counsel were traitors to the king.  The most unimaginable person turned out to be the traitor, the king’s brother Clavius.  The night you were born Clavius sent a group of his own hired henchmen to kill the king and his Royal Family.  I myself was on the Counsel and your mother’s faithful servant.  Your Father, Cedric the Dragon Heart, order that you and your mother to flee through the catacombs and go into hiding.  He on the other hand died fighting a most honorable way to die, the counsel disbanded and went into hiding and they are all ready to be called back to do their work. That would be to serve the true King of Berothia, in other words……. you.  You must merely show them the sapphire ring which was given to your mother. Jenova will you fetch it.” Jacksaw said hastily,” You must now find your way back to the thrown with the Order’s aid, which is to say if you want to avenge your father and continue his legacy.” finished Jacksaw.

 

His head was swirling, he was a prince, his father was dead, and his uncle probably wanted him dead if he knew that he was still alive, what was this ring, he had never seen nor been told of. His mother shortly arrived with a wooden box. When she handed it to him he opened it to find a gold rind with an encrusted sapphire of royal blue colour upon a red velvet cushion. He took the ring and found it fitted him perfectly.  He looked at Jacksaw who merely smiled at him.

 

“Will you help me on my quest” asked Lereon silently.

“Certainly my boy, but don’t worry we don’t have to leave just yet for you must be taught how wield weapons, yes Jenova I know you brought him here to stay away from that kind of life but it is his destiny, now then off to bed for we have an early start in the morning were I must teach you all that I know.” Stated Jacksaw and while he was leaving Jacksaw and his mother started to talk very silently.

 

CHAPTER 3

That night was the last quiet night he was to have for a very, very long time. The next morning when he woke up he thought he must have dreamt of what happened about being a dream but when he saw the sapphire ring on his finger he knew it wasn’t.

“Lereon come on wake up we have a long day ahead of us.” said Jacksaw with a twinkle in his eyes and left.

He slowly made his way out of bed and started to get dressed next to his bed he found a sword in a scabbard woven from what seemed like golden tread. The sword was beautiful; the hilt was encrusted with rubies and fitted his hand as if it were made for him.  The blade had several markings on it but they were only for decoration. He walked to the kitchen while brandishing his sword. When he arrived in the kitchen Jacksaw was already there sitting at the table eating some fruit.

“I see you found the sword, good because that’s what you’ll use.” added Jacksaw.

“It’s very good it fits my grasp perfectly.” said Lereon in awe.

“It should, as it was made for you in times long forgotten. Now today I will teach you how to properly wield a sword. You must always bear in mind never attack but defend so that your opponent gets tired and you have an advantage.

This though does not apply on a battle field for your life depends on your agility and ability to duck or hide behind objects.” explained Jacksaw.

 

They both started to fight but slowly so as not to perform any killer blows.

After a long after noon of sword fighting they take a break and move on to archery.

“You must first follow the target and try to predict where it we will be in the next few seconds so as to shoot and hit it. Now there are a few birds in the tree if you can bring a few down we can have a quick meal and eat them.”

 

Lereon took aim and brought down 4 small but considerable birds.

 

“Not the best of hunts but it will serve as our lunch until tonight” said Jacksaw with a satisfied look.

“So you knew my father, what was he like” asked Lereon

“Oh questions, questions,” said Jacksaw in an irritated way, “but I don’t blame you, I would do the same had I been in your position I suppose.”

Upon seeing that pleading look on Lereon’s face.

“Oh all right, let’s see well I first met your father at the age of 35, I was already a valiant war hero and was made the supreme general. We would spend hours in the palace gardens doing all sorts of things, discussing military tactics, and hunting, hawking, discussing politics and mostly anything that came into mind.” said Jacksaw.

 

That night Lereon couldn’t stop thinking of what Jacksaw had said about his father. He spent weeks in training his aim because being a good archer was extremely important, learning hand to hand combat with a weapon and without. Though the most difficult was to know all the parts of armor a knight was to wear in battle, and the order they were to be put on.  At first he didn’t know why he had to but was soon told that he was to travel as Jacksaw’s page.

 

“Why must I travel as a page,” asked Lereon.

“Nobody will suspect that his royal highness who has been dead for nearly 16 years to travel as a page,” chuckled Jacksaw. Although the plan seemed faultless Lereon had his doubts.

“When will I leave my home?” asked Lereon mournfully.

“Oh, I’m afraid there isn’t long for we leave at the end of winter season,” stated Jacksaw. At the end of winter, but that was only like two weeks away and he was already dreading the day he would have to leave his humble home. The days were long but to poor Lereon they flew like sparrow’s flight. Then the day came when he was to leave, his mother wished him luck and embraced him before he left for his perilous journey.

 

Chapter 4

 

“I understand your pain Lereon for I can only imagine what it’s like to leave the home and family you knew, but cheer up for we will pass your home many times throughout our Journey so you will be able to see your mother.” Said Jacksaw, trying to consol him.

 

On the second day after they had left Lereon’s home, the boy asked Jacksaw,” Where are we going?”

“I was wondering when you would ask that question, well the answer is simple we are going to see a mage.” Stated Jacksaw in a matter of fact kind of way.

“A Mage!!” cried Lereon aloud,” but mages are known to be evil, they cast spells to get what they want and harm others.”

“Oh don’t be stupid, that is a sorcerer, mages are those who are called to aid others and repair the damage that sorcerers do.” Said Jacksaw

 “And how do you know this mage?” inquired Lereon.

“You never stop asking questions do you,” said Jacksaw in an annoyed tone,” he was actually on the counsel that your father set up.”

“Oh that changes everything.” said Lereon with relief.

 

They spent the next day walking while Jacksaw tried to give the boy all the wisdom he could think of. This was not too difficult because he was a bright young lad.

 

On the third day they arrived at a small shack, outside there was a campfire, and a few skinned rabbits. From inside the shack they heard someone singing an awkward song; sometimes the singing would change to humming as if some parts of the song were long forgotten. Jacksaw made a gesture in front of his mouth to mean that Lereon was to be quiet. They crouched down behind a bush.

Suddenly the door opened and an old man in red velvet came out carrying a large cooking pot filled to the brim with water.

 

“…And they rod down the jolly hill

…Tit tum tit tum…

They walked to jolly old inn…”

 

“You never got tired of that song did you” said Jacksaw aloud. The old man spun around nearly spilling the contents of the pot he was carrying all over himself, and then from fright his expression changed to joy.

“Jacksaw, by the sun and moon, what are you doing here you old war horse?” said the mage in a happy but curious kind of way.

Jacksaw walked out of the bushes and Lereon followed him out.

“I have someone here that I think you will be very surprised to meet,” said Jacksaw, he turned to face Lereon and said in a whisper,” show him your ring.”

Lereon had been wearing the ring form the moment it had been presented to him, although he never took it off. He held out his hand with a closed fist so that only the sapphire gem and in an instant the man sank to one knee and merely said the words that showed that he understood.

“My lord I place myself in your service.”

 

 

 

   Chapter 5

 

This totally shocked Lereon by surprise, almost at once he sank to his knees next to the old man and said,”You don’t need to bow before me, and if you can help me on my journey then I have no objection.”

“Thank you sire.” Said the man simply.

“My name is not sire, it is Lereon,” said Lereon smooth but firmly.

“As you wish, but I must introduce myself first, I am Orrin the mage, at your service.” said Orrin proud that he had achieved such a level wisdom.

“Well then Orrin I hope you can teach me because I know very little the outside world.” said Lereon.

“I would be honored to walk by your side and aid you just as Jacksaw does.” stated Orrin.

“That’s settled then, Jacksaw where will we go next?” asked Lereon.

“We need to go to Hope Springs, some Elves live their and we need their permission if we wish to leave the forest through safe passage.” stated Jacksaw.

“Will they give us safe passage?” asked Lereon in an uncertain tone.

“Yes they do but I suggest that you remove the ring when we arrive their, it may give out the wrong impression.” said Jacksaw.

“What do you mean when you say it might give out the wrong impression?” as ked Lereon, confused.
”As I told you before you and your mother are thought to be dead” Jacksaw reminded him.

“We must also meet with Aeonor for he was the youngest in the counsel and should now be in his prime.” said Orrin.

“Though we must hurry,” said Jacksaw with a worried tone,” Clavius is worried and has started trying to round up the old members of the counsel, Nora has already been captured and is being held prisoner in a citadel, seven leagues away from hope springs. I know it sounds foolish but we may be able to free her, she would be a great help and she would be only to grateful”

“That is all well and good but we have not asked Lereon of what he thinks.” said Orrin.

They both looked at Lereon, smiling with a glint in their eyes.

“So we are three people with Aeonor’s help four, we are going to storm a citadel, a low chance of success, what’re we waiting for?” said Lereon happily,” though how will I recognize her?”

“Oh that’s easy she has red eyes, black hair, and has wings.” Stated Jacksaw in a tone that told Lereon he was not joking.

“Wings!” asked Lereon raising an eyebrow.

“That’s right, your Fathered felt that if he placed on his counsel people that came from every corner of the Realm, including the Underworld and Divine world that way he would have the best advice to conquer the problems of different people. They were like ambassadors but on a counsel that was loyal to him.” informed Orrin.

“Then I would be right in saying that we should make haste.” said Lereon trying to show a little Maturity.

“Right you are Lereon; I shall pack my books, my rare herbs and my charms. Oh before I forget, the day Clavius attempted to kill you he also tried to destroy the counsel, I was of course spotted and chased through the great hall, I managed lose them by entering the treasury, while there I helped myself and took a small bag of gold, I hope you will not scorn me for that Lereon,” Explained Orrin.

“If my father was killed, then it was not his gold you took but Clavius’.” said Lereon.

“I hoped you would understand things my way,”

 

          After packing, he showed them the amount of gold which he had left, it wasn’t much but it was enough for the Journey and to hold them until they met with Aeonor.

 

While walking through the dense forest they would speak about past times and tell stories of when the council was still whole. Orrin was much older than he looked, Lereon’s first impression was that he was in his eighties but was astounded when he found out that he was in fact over two hundred and was approaching his two hundred and twenty seventh birthday. He soon learned that Orrin was not an ordinary human; because he was a mage he had a longer life span enabling him to consult lords or kings, even though Orrin was doing none of this it still didn’t mean that he was going to lose any of his powers.

 

After traveling for 8 leagues they came to where the gate house to hope springs was only a quarter of a league and was visible in the distance. Though this was also the location of the Dead Orchard. A land where no sun would shine but only cold harsh wind.  There was no life whatsoever, only death.

“What is this place?” asked Lereon in a horrified manner.

“This was once an orchard which would provide food for nearly half the population of Hope Springs but alas one day an undead warlock made the soil rot and soon their was a spot of cursed ground in the orchard and the farmers did everything they could but the spot grew and grew until the entire orchard was cursed ground.” explained Orrin.

“but then how come the cursed ground never grew beyond the boundaries” asked Lereon, confused.

“It’s quite simple, the warlock was commanded by the undead warlord to eradicate their main food supply and that was the orchard.” explained Orrin.

“I still say we should avoid this place all together” said Jacksaw in a defiant manner.

“Oh really, would you prefer to go through Nightward Forest?” Orrin asked in an impatient tone.

“Well no, but we could at least go through the gatehouse of Hope Springs.” said Jacksaw.

“Oh really, and what would we tell the guards there, hmm, let me see, oh yes, please leave us alone, Lereon the prince has risen from the grave and is rallying an army.” Orrin said with a mocking tone.

“He does have a fair point Jacksaw.” Lereon

“How many guards are there?” asked Lereon who brewing up a plan.

“There are only two, why?” Orrin said throwing Lereon a calculating look.

“And who’s men are they?” asked Lereon who’s plan was coming together.

“Those men are loyal only to Clavius; see they wear purple and black colours.”

“I’m more concerned about their weapons” Jacksaw interjected.

“Do you think they know how to use them?” Lereon asked.

After walking closer to the gatehouse they could make out the kind of weapons the guards where equipped with.  The two border guards where each carrying a scimitar like short sword which was sheathed, while they held a deadly looking pole arm. The guards were both sitting down on a bench that gave them a dominating view of the road.

“This is madness we’ll never be able to get through unscathed” Lereon said thoughtfully.

“We can’t kill them either because the watch here changes every three days meaning we’d be leaving a trail.” Orrin Explained.

“I think I have a plan, but first, Orrin do you have any powders or potions that would make an explosion if dropped?” Jacksaw asked hopeful that his comrade would provide the essential ingredient to this daring plan.

 

 

 

© 2008 lereon


Author's Note

lereon
Just comment on the bad, the good and the horrible writing

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

First, thank you for the read request.

I think you have some imaginative characters going here. I liked the mix of the boy, the old war-horse and the mage. It's classical in the form of fantasy literature with great expanses of scenery, and forbidden forests. And I particularly liked the addition of the Council that comprised many different forms of life. I think you could really build upon that.

(My opinion) I would have liked to see more about his life, and his relationship with his mother. I wanted to get the sense of how she felt about what had happened, and the death of her husband. And as a Prince, I suppose in the context of the story I longed to see somthing of his inner wisdom, or some breath of skill that sets him above the crowd.

Overall some good thoughts here. Keep up the good work!

Mark

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is very interesting so far. I do agree that more details are needed but it's still very good. Keep it up, nice work!!!

Heather

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It's not horrible, but I do agree you could really stretch out the events here with some detail. Also, I wonder why the mother doesn't know any fighting techniques? You think she would, after Clavius's takeover. This somewhat reminds me of a myth in combination with Hamlet, but I'm not sure which one. Anyways, this is a great start!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I found the story very interesting, though lacking in detail. The only detailed sentence that I really found was: "When she handed it to him he opened it to find a gold rind with an encrusted sapphire of royal blue colour upon a red velvet cushion." If you incorporate detail like that throughout the whole story, readers will find it a lot more appealing. Hmmm, you should put this under "Book" that way you can add chapters.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

First let me welcome you to Writer's Cafe. You seem to have hit us by storm in this very intense and imaginative first posting. It was sent to me as a read request by Kiwi and I enjoyed your opening chapters very much. I will look forward to seeing more.

Blessings,
Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

overall good job on this i really didn't see anything wrong with this piece... very strong story , good character development and the imagery in this were perfect... nice job on this!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

First, thank you for the read request.

I think you have some imaginative characters going here. I liked the mix of the boy, the old war-horse and the mage. It's classical in the form of fantasy literature with great expanses of scenery, and forbidden forests. And I particularly liked the addition of the Council that comprised many different forms of life. I think you could really build upon that.

(My opinion) I would have liked to see more about his life, and his relationship with his mother. I wanted to get the sense of how she felt about what had happened, and the death of her husband. And as a Prince, I suppose in the context of the story I longed to see somthing of his inner wisdom, or some breath of skill that sets him above the crowd.

Overall some good thoughts here. Keep up the good work!

Mark

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

A traditional fantasy story. You should keep building on it. Reminds me a lot of Sabriel.

A wide array of colourful characters. Imagery is great. And its painfully obvious that you have a love for anything to do with the fantasy genre.

Great read!

Luke

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2008

Author

lereon
lereon

Ghaxaq, Malta



About
Im a metal head, and im obsessed with fantasy and fiction books.I can be funny,kind and sincere, but i tend to have a devious mind more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..