Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by mwelborne

My seven year old sister was smiling before they injected her with lethal poison.  Smiling, anticipating, as if they were handing her a birthday cake.  Her eyes, pale green and sprinkled with long lashes, pulsed out strength and courage; even her demeanor remained calm.  Only her trembling hands offered any sign of apprehension.  Of course, she had to display a sense of acceptance-- The eyes of every citizen of Portola, California were plastered on her as she excitedly answered the mayor's questions. 
"Ah, Libby Bradley," the mayor began, his ashy lips spraying spit into the microphone. "How old are you, dear?"
"I am seven and a half years old," Libby said, revealing her the gaps where her two front teeth should have been. 
"Aren't you honored to be one of the seven chosen?  And at such a young age!"  
She paused. "I-I think so.  I am.  I never thought I would be up here in front of everyone bu--"
"Any last words Libby Bradley?"  the mayor impatiently injected.  
Suddenly, something felt different.  Staring at my sister, dressed in a white, summer dress, I could feel it too. The approaching of death was finally hitting her; to the left a man dressed in a professional suit approached her carrying in his hand a large needle.  Gasping, I kept my eyes on Libby, hoping that she did not notice the man.  It's just a needle, just a needle, I kept repeating over and over in my mind. My fingers trembled, tears began to drip from my thin lids. Suddenly, my brother Will grabbed my hand, his sweaty palms crusting against my own.  "I hate them," he muttered to himself through his tears.  

"I-I....." I could see Libby's eyes move from person to person through the immense crowd. Her smile had become wavering line, her eyes no longer dry and courageous. The mayor obviously noticed this as well, shoving his fingernails into her arm and motioning the man with the needle to come closer. 
Panic spread against Libby's face and I squeezed Will's hand harder.  My little sister, murdered in front of the entire city...
"No!" Libby screamed in reaction to the mayor.  "No!"
"Yes," the mayor nodded. "It will only be a pinch."
Libby struggled to break free of the mayor's deathly grip. "Please don't do this!  I don't want to d--" 

And it was all over.  My sister instantly fell to the floor, instantly hit her head against the ground, and suddenly all over her shrieks and cries were silenced.  


© 2011 mwelborne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow this sounds like a very interesting story! I would love to read what happens next and how the book unfolds.Please read request me when you add more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow,why did they kill her? Those b******s! I'm mad right now.
Great! I loved it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 15, 2011
Last Updated on August 7, 2011


Author

mwelborne
mwelborne

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by mwelborne


23 Seconds 23 Seconds

A Book by mwelborne


Courage Courage

A Story by mwelborne